↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 100" Defender Hybrid - A Nod to Land Rover's Heritage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
100" Defender Hybrid - A Nod to Land Rover's Heritage
I think it's been a couple of years now since getting rid of my 2.4 Puma and it wasn't long before the Land Rover bug bit me again.

Anyway, a bit of anorak info that some of you may or may not know about before I get to the build. Back around 1977 Land Rover built some prototype vehicles, this was around the time of the transition from Series 3 to 90/110 and Land Rover were toying with the idea of introducing coil sprung suspension which they had successfully done on the launch of the Range Rover.
They built around 70 prototype vehicles for the French and Swiss armies using the chassis of the current Range Rover, with it's "perfect" 100" wheelbase for off road driving, body panels from the Series 3 and bonnet and front grille from the, soon to be released, Stage 1 V8.

Land Rover binned the idea and instead developed the 90" and 110" vehicles side by side. This didn't stop Land Rover fans re-creating the 100" in different guises over the years due to the fact that they posses the optimum wheelbase for an off roader. There are a couple of well known examples around including Mark Evans' build which was documented on the TV show "A 4x4 is Born", a must-have DVD for anyone that's into their Land Rovers.

Further info on the 100" prototypes Here and Here

So fast forward 40 years (Just noticed that it's an anniversary year, even more of a reason to get it finished) and I'm at a stage of almost completion. Sanding, repairing, filling, sanding, more sanding, priming and even more sanding have been the last few boring weeks of my life but I'm looking forward to some colour finally going on the panels. I have a lot of parts ready to fit once the bodywork is painted so once that's over and done with it should come together quite quickly. Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm only working on this on a Saturday and taking the odd bits to work to sort on a lunch break. :Smile

So the donor vehicle, the bit with the 100" chassis, is/was a 1996 Discovery 1 300tdi with autobox. I've owned this discovery since 2013 and used it for a couple of years before buying the newer 2.4TDCI Defender. The discovery then sat in the garage until August last year when the body was pulled off, it was completely rotten but, surprisingly the chassis is in excellent condition.

So after a bit of interest on the hypothetical 100" thread I thought I'd create a build thread to inspire me to finish this off and get it on the road!

A bit of anorak back story that some of you may or may not know about before I get to the build. Back around 1977 Land Rover built some prototype vehicles, this was around the time of the transition from Series 3 to 90/110 and Land Rover were toying with the idea of introducing coil sprung suspension which they had successfully done on the launch of the Range Rover.
They built around 70 prototype vehicles for the French and Swiss armies using the chassis of the current Range Rover, with it's "perfect" 100" wheelbase for off road driving, body panels from the Series 3 and bonnet and front grille from the, soon to be released, Stage 1 V8.

Land Rover binned the idea and instead developed the 90" and 110" vehicles side by side. This didn't stop Land Rover fans re-creating the 100" in different guises over the years due to the fact that they posses the apparent optimum wheelbase for an off roader. There are a couple of well known examples around including Mark Evans' build which was documented on the TV show "A 4x4 is Born", a must-have DVD for anyone that's into their Land Rovers and the series that really got me into Land Rovers about 15 years ago, and probably the reason that I'd wanted one so much.

I'd toyed with the idea of trying to get a defender body to fit the 100" chassis without modification for a few years and had heard that people had done it before by using a 130 hi cap tub to make up for the long rear overhang of the Range Rover/Discovery but had never seen one. This project was mainly to prove to myself that it was entirely possible to do, but it should also be quite a capable and useful truck once its finished!

Further info on the 100" prototypes Here and Here

So fast forward 40 years from the initial prototypes and I'm at a stage of almost completion. The donor vehicle, the bit with the 100" chassis, is/was a 1996 Discovery 1 300tdi with autobox. I've owned this discovery since 2013 and used it for a couple of years before buying a newer 2.4TDCI Defender. The discovery then sat in the garage until August 2017 when the body was pulled off, it was completely rotten but, surprisingly the chassis is in excellent condition.

Click image to enlarge

Next up was to clean up the chassis and get it protected, the chassis had actually lasted this long with very little in the way of protective coating.
I used Buzzweld Chassis-In-One spray on coating and I'm really impressed with it so far.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I left engine, gearbox etc all sat in the chassis and will be using the discovery rear mounted plastic tank and stainless steel exhaust so they both survived the chop aswell.
A full polybush kit was bought from Bearmach and I spent a bit of time with the press getting all the old ones pushed out and CIOing everything.

Click image to enlarge

I then made a start on the brakes and suspension, I fitted new "police spec" Range Rover springs, I had these fitted to my Defender and they give about a 1" lift and a nice ride. I also upgraded the front brakes to 110 vented discs and calipers and the rears to 110 calipers with the discovery front discs on the rear. While I was there I changed all the wheel bearings.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT

Last edited by TDCi Guy on 5th Jul 2019 1:56pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #719521 24th Jul 2018 8:49pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Is that the top of pheasant steps?

(I'll follow this with interest. I've had 2 100" Exclamation
Post #719530 24th Jul 2018 9:00pm
TDCi Guy

Oooops cocked up with the photos! Is it possible to embed from instagram on here?

EDIT: Managed to add them from the source details but it's a bit long-winded, if someone knows how to direct embed that would be great! Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #719531 24th Jul 2018 9:03pm
TDCi Guy

GREENI wrote:
Is that the top of pheasant steps?

(I'll follow this with interest. I've had 2 100" Exclamation

Thanks Greeni, I dare say you might be familiar with the build as I add more updates. I recognise the username in your signature from IG. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #719550 24th Jul 2018 9:33pm
L110CDL

England 
Very interesting thread and i will be following it Thumbs Up

Yes i have the DVD of " A 4x4 is born " Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #719559 24th Jul 2018 9:54pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great project, will be following with interest. Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #719562 24th Jul 2018 10:16pm
richcl

United Kingdom 
Good luck with the build.
Here's my 100 inch Hybrid that I built in the mid 1990's.
It was based on a two door Range Rover chassis.

Click image to enlarge
Post #719567 24th Jul 2018 10:31pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Following this, really would love to build one of these one day Thumbs Up 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #719609 25th Jul 2018 8:34am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
100in was perfect in my view for a SWB coiler, nice project will watch with interest Thumbs Up
Post #719612 25th Jul 2018 8:39am
Procta

United Kingdom 
This looks like its going to be a cracker of a build!! I will be watching this one! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #719637 25th Jul 2018 11:35am
TDCi Guy

Thanks for the replies so far guys, it's great to see/hear that some of you have owned 100"s previously. They don't seem so common anymore.

So now it was time to find some bodywork for the truck. I'd already worked out over several years of thinking about the project and measuring various combinations of land rover that a 130" Hi Cap rear tub would fit behind a standard chassis cab, the easiest body combination without cutting into the chassis and maybe requiring an IVA (I'm trying to avoid IVA at all costs as this will just add expense and time onto the project). This would leave the truck looking like a 110" Hi Cap, just 10" shorter.
I bought the rear tub, I'd owned it for a year before actually collecting it from a mate who'd spotted it cheap at a spares day. He also let me relieve him of one of his projects, a 1980 era 90 with rotten chassis but usable body panels.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I built a frame to take the Defender body mounts to the Discovery chassis mounts. Most people cut off the Discovery outriggers and weld on the Defender ones. I'd much rather have a bolt on solution and can easily swap over to another chassis in the future if needed. I also added in rubber mounts so the cab is isolated from the chassis, not sure if this will be effective until it's put into use.

I incorporated rock sliders into the frame with some box section coming from the front of them to the front chassis mounts and a piece of box section under the cut down rear bulkhead to tie the two sides together and pick up on the rear chassis mounts. As you can see from the pictures this was the middle of winter and the friend's yard space I was using was like a swampy ice rink!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

With the main cab section bolted on I could then look at mounting the rest of the panels around it. After fabricating some mounts it was then time to take it all apart again!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT

Last edited by TDCi Guy on 5th Jul 2019 3:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #719718 25th Jul 2018 7:40pm
TDCi Guy

That brings us to the laborious task of bodywork. The state of the old panels, as you can see in some of the close up pictures, made for a long slog and in the end I've just had to come to the realisation that it will never be concours Laughing
As long as its straight-ish and all one colour I'm happy, it's going to get used properly after all.

Bodywork repairs below, The front bulkhead was stripped down and got welded up. These earlier bulkheads don't seem to suffer as badly as the later ones. This one only needed one corner and a few little plates here and there.
Repairs to the bottom ally section of the rear chopped down tub bulkhead, they suffer badly here from the bi-metallic corrosion between the ally bulkhead and the steel seatbelt mounting plates. I cut the ally panels and sandwiched the corroded panel. Not as good as a proper replacement panel but not as expensive either!
The outer wing panels were also replaced with TD5 style ones.
I converted the seatbox to the later R380 style with a flange I found at a spares day. This means I can use the wider R380 gearbox tunnel which gives clearance for the autobox/transfer box combination which was causing issues before I converted it.
I also test fitted the seats I've bought, they're from a smart car and have a very thin back which, as anyone who's been in a defender truck cab will know, is really needed if you want any kind of leg room. They're also heated so will be a nice change from the normal fitment. Twisted Evil

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And into primer...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Finally we get round to the paint, I had decided on a flat grey colour, bought the paint and the week before painting had a change of heart and went with Keswick Green. The grey will do for my mini project!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then the rebuild started

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT

Last edited by TDCi Guy on 5th Jul 2019 3:15pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #719723 25th Jul 2018 8:03pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Looking great there!! I wonder if mark evans used 130 parts for his, How easy is it to make a 100"? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #719760 26th Jul 2018 1:11am
Baz8046

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Great project, will be following with interest Thumbs Up
If only I had the time and space would love to build one myself. Defender Td5 Commercial 2002
Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE 2005
Discovery 4 SDV6 Landmark 2016
Post #719788 26th Jul 2018 8:10am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Procta wrote:
Looking great there!! I wonder if mark evans used 130 parts for his, How easy is it to make a 100"?

No, Mark used a cut down normal tub, not a Hicap tub.
Post #719795 26th Jul 2018 8:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>