↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > LED interior lights continually glow - why ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
IanM

United Kingdom 
I'll join the "slight glow" club - ive left if for 2/3 days and the light still has a slight glow, I don't understand electrics (240 volts hurts, that's my knowledge) but the drain on the battery must be very small, init?? Embarassed
So anyone know how long (assuming good battery condition) it's safe to leave? Urban truck defender 90
R1200GS (for crossing continents)
Post #383936 1st Jan 2015 5:34pm
munch90

England 
seems to be more of a problem with the later ones
Post #383938 1st Jan 2015 5:39pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
JustStarting wrote:
Do the MY2015 come with LED interior bulbs?

Laughing NO,, Still 19th century bulbs !!

Maybe as munch says,, my 11 MY did not do it, and the same led bulbs !! California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #383947 1st Jan 2015 6:21pm
durham

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Just to add to the pot, on my 2014 MY (cheap) replacement LED bulbs glow very slightly when all doors closed and as described by OP, only way to prevent is to switch light fitting to "off". They fade as normal, when door closed, but remain with a faint glow, even when driving. In my head I put it down to the drain being detected was so minimal it wasn't enough to show up on the OE ancient filament bulbs but was on modern sensitive LED. With the same "logic" I also decided it wasn't enough of a drain to lower the battery power, didnt use it for 10 days over xmas and started up no problem. Mine is in for warranty work next week (defender stuff, doors not closing properly etc.) and was trying to work out how to mention it as not OE bulbs, if I put the old bulbs back in, then of course there's no problem, which sort of provides LR with an answer.
The plus side is that the difference between old and new bulbs is phenomenal!
Post #384170 2nd Jan 2015 4:18pm
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Mine is in with LR on 8th I will be putting my LED bulbs in to show them

Different bulbs will not affect warranty so I will inquire - the light should not do this whether LED or filiment bulb, if a switch is off it is off so fault somewhere

Good ole Defenders huh
Post #384173 2nd Jan 2015 4:48pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
It's not just in Defenders that you get lights doing this, I've seen it quite a few times in mains stuff too.
The scenarios are either that there's a light switch with a neon that's connected to turn on when the lights are off which creates enough leakage to make LEDs flicker or those PIR modules you get in toilets and stairwells which require a little bit of current flow to work which is enough to make the lights flicker dimly.

It's nothing to worry about, but if you want to check just connect a multimeter in series with it to measure the current.
Post #384428 3rd Jan 2015 11:10am
LRmud

Scotland 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
This glowing seems to be a very common theme.
Having just fitted el cheapo Chinese strip LED lights to the rear of my old 90, I found they had a constant glow when the (Carling Dash) switch was in the OFF position.
I had also fitted some of the same lights to the front footwells and these did not glow at all - ever.
All of these LED lights are controlled by switching the earth through the Carling switch, in parallel with the door switch.

After a few beers last night it suddenly came to me that the reason for the glow (i.e. constant electrical path to earth) must be through the switch (even in the OFF position) because there is a diode (LED power indication) inside the Carling Switch.
If the two wires are not connected correctly, the diode will allow current to pass to earth, thus the glowing LED.

A simple swap of the two wires going to the switch resolved the issue.

I realise this may not solve everyone's problematic LED lights but most switches are similarly designed.
Its certainly solved mine. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #394466 31st Jan 2015 6:19pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Damn, just thinking along those lines as well, there could be an earth leakage at no end of points. Let's face it, all that LR builders are doing is running an earth wire to the door switches, an odd stray filament of wire or a scuff in the insulation as it it pulled taught is neither one thing or the other. You could try taking the wires to the door switches off to see if the lights stop glowing and try to trace the likely wire.
Post #394533 31st Jan 2015 8:26pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
munch90 wrote:
seems to be more of a problem with the later ones

Wonder if this is related to the later (non-Lucas manufactured) alarm units?
Post #394540 31st Jan 2015 8:41pm
LRmud

JWL, what I described is not a fault or earth leakage but part of the switch design.
If the Interior LED Lamp wires are not connected to the switch correctly (polarity sensitive, if you like) then the LED (diode) inside the switch will allow a small (20mA) current to pass to earth, and your interior lamps will glow annoyingly.
Carling have a diagram on their website showing how their LED indication lamps are connected. I guess all other switch manufacturers will be similar. Thumbs Up --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #394550 31st Jan 2015 9:01pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Yes I know what you're saying, I just put it a little poorly on what I was thinking. On a basic set-up I was just thinking of the vagaries of the build quality of our fravourite motors as I have come across owners of older even pre alarmed Defenders that have had the glowing led problems which leads me to thinking of some slight earth leakage through some dodgy insulation or even a door switch that could be tracking a small current leak'
Post #394562 31st Jan 2015 9:22pm
LRmud

Totally understand what you're saying. Switching the earth (door switches etc) can cause a lot of problems and any dodgy wires create problems. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #394565 31st Jan 2015 9:26pm
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Have come across this many times over the years.
It is referred to as ghosting.
Because LEDs require so little current to power them the close proximity to a live wire can energise them slightly even with zero volts across the light terminals.
Solution is to only use error free or canbus type bulbs or to put a resistor into the circuit beside the bulb.
This forces the bulb to draw a higher current to operate.
Post #394747 1st Feb 2015 11:39am
MarkM61

Australia 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Iktank wrote:
Unable to physically check with multi meter (dont have one) but switch on "illuminate when door opens" they illuminate, close door and they turn off, but tont turn off fully they remain on with a very faint glow
Turn the interior light to "off" position manually and they turn off completely

So not normal light fade, they appear to have continual current to them Crying or Very sad Confused

These symptoms probably mean moisture in one more of the door position switches, leaking some current through in the off position. Same ( more or less) leakage current would flow with incandescent bulbs, but they would not glow.
Post #394791 1st Feb 2015 2:16pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would put money on it being a characteristic of the AS10 and its internal circuitry, and the change in manufacturer. The door switches activate the AS10 which activates the lights, so a high impedance path to earth via a door switch is unlikely to have this effect. More likely that the pull-up voltage in the AS10 differs from battery voltage by a a small amount and this is enough to make the LEDs glow.
Post #394819 1st Feb 2015 3:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>