↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > DAB radios
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Radio 5 is only on Medium Wave (909 & 693) or DAB.

Radio 4 is on Long Wave 198 and various FM frequencies. If you have an RDS radio then it will automatically retune the FM frequencies as you travel

The quality of Radio 5 on MW is poor and you have to retune between the two frequencies if you travel the country. With DAB, the quality is fantastic and there is no need to retune. In some parts of the country, MW is barely usable, especially in the evening. The Devon/Cornwall border journey down the A30 is particularly poor. With DAB, I can get crystal clear reception from the Peak District down to Truro.

Just my opinion/experience..Smile

Cheers

Simon

Ps I was trying to defend the misconception that DAB doesn't work well. In my case, with a properly configured radio/installation it works very well. I suspect most peoples issue are down to the need for a good aerial.
Post #332105 19th May 2014 7:57pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
It is only ‘Sport Extra’ that is not available on long wave, but radio 4 broadcasts the same programme on long wave opt out, on the same frequency 198, so it amounts to the same!

I do not mean to dismiss DAB radio, it could be fantastic, but until the channel is broadcast using a better frequency that has the same signal strength as the existing radio frequencies and has equal national coverage it will remain inferior to the existing FM.

I have several DAB radios and I can assure you that while the signal is very clean the quality of broadcast in no way matches FM stereo.

Last edited by gilarion on 19th May 2014 8:14pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #332109 19th May 2014 8:05pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Ok...

Cheers

Simon
Post #332110 19th May 2014 8:07pm
Diablo

1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green
I think DAB is great for my purposes

Have been running it exclusively for knocking on 5 years now. I used to listen to Planet Rock - now Team Rock radio (no adverts!), and despite the odd half second breakup, I've had perfect coverage over 99% of the areas I've driven in.

Wouldn't dream of going back to analogue
Post #332120 19th May 2014 8:47pm
Dale

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 Tomb Raider LE Bonatti Grey
Got a Pure Highway 260 Dab radio with stick on windscreen type DAB aerial. Never had any reception problems with it. Mounted aerial top centre of windscreen behind rear view mirror so it's nice and neat and out the way. The radio itself also supports Bluetooth so can stream music from my phone, and can also using it for hands free calls. Radio comes with a small mic, which again I have tucked away at top of windscreen out of the way. Cheap unit from Halfrauds, but very pleased with the results.
Post #345713 17th Jul 2014 12:04am
alastaid

United Kingdom 
I am huge DAB fan, and bought a Blaupunkt unit off Dab on Wheels 5 or 6 years ago, couldn't recommend them highly enough as they do have the try and return policy. I first tried the FM --> DAB converter thingy that used the existing FM aerial but it didn't work for me. I returned it with no problems and bought the bee sting type DAB aerial.

I have recently transferred all of this to my 90, and its brilliant, I have replaced the DAB aerial for the FM, and slotted in the Blaupunkt into the dash and it works brilliantly. Will take a couple of pics and post.

Cheers

Alastair
Post #345982 18th Jul 2014 10:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12