↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > DAB radios
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
DAB radios
Any recommendations for any with DABs with (preferably) LED big character display & chunky knobs & buttons.

What type of aerial, telescopic or coil or ??? Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #326852 28th Apr 2014 10:51pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
i had a stick-on windscreen one which i put in the alpine window, didn't work very well. But then I'm a DAB sceptic and cheshire isn't great signal wise if you don't have a great setup.

Dads D4 has one on the roof i think and works very well I have to say. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #326865 28th Apr 2014 11:12pm
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
At the moment, I am cheating.

I just hook my DAB radio via the AUX socket. It is only the size of a mobile phone so sits in one of the cupholders.

The AUX cable acts as the aerial so the car's external aerial is fully down and not used.

Reception is as good as the standard LR stereo on FM and I usually listen to either Planet Rock or Radio 5.

I already had the radio so it was a no-cost option to fit. Thumbs Up 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #326874 28th Apr 2014 11:30pm
martinfiattech

England 
Thank god some one else is wondering about this one,

I`ve gone a bit mad and brought the kenwood sub thingy, some alpine speakers, and a alpine cde136-bt dab head unit. Which I hope to fit at the weekend.
Work and the other half permitting ( I spent all last Saturday with a hangover fixing the landys brakes and mending my compressor in the garage, making olives on the lathe, god bless the lathe)
I got a kenwood a1 dab windscreen aerial but it`s a bit big to put in the windscreen area lets face it, it`s not the biggest windscreen area in the world.

I was wondering about the alpine windows in the rear for a mounting point the leads long enough to reach it`s also out of sight too not only for me but for folk who may put two and two together and pinch my radio.

Has anyone else fitted one anywhere apart from the wind screen

Martin... Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #326939 29th Apr 2014 11:34am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I guess for better reception if you can get the right connections and split it you could have two aerials each side of the LR.
I personally don't bother with DAB, I know FM is going to be shut of sometime if it isn't already but I'm not a radio fan.
Prefer to listen to what I want not any old rubbish that comes on and a load of yapping.
Post #326945 29th Apr 2014 12:26pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Yeah I was advised to have 2 aerials, one each side, but just didn't see the need and in the end got rid of the DAB as the FM was working fine.

In the future when FM disappears (will this actually ever happen?) I will get 2 aerials and some sort of USB addon for my parrot asteroid smart Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #326949 29th Apr 2014 12:34pm
jav-uk

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
Have a look here, neat solution.

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/fm-am_to_fm-a...erter.html

It worked okay for me, I found for best DAB reception push in your aerial to about 40 cm exposed.

Kenwood DAB unit fitted, works fantastic and switches to FM if the DAB signal drops. Paul

Pondering a New 90 Commercial
2020 Evoque
* 2014 110 SW JE Stage 2.
*2010 110 Utility. JE Stage 2.
*2007 110 SW
*2003 90 JE Stage 2.
*2000 90 SW

If its not leaking it ain't full.
Post #326954 29th Apr 2014 1:02pm
martinfiattech

England 
jav - uk you`ve lost me here,

I found for best DAB reception push in your aerial to about 40 cm exposed.

What did you expose ? and is that against the law Laughing

I might be being a bit thick here but I don't understand, I`am new to all this, the last wireless had a tape deck.
So I thought if I`am getting a new one better make it a good one and try and get 15 years out of this one as well, the old kenwood`s lasted longer than any girl I`ve been out with and a lot less trouble than some of them Very Happy.

As for the yapping on the radio I`ve found women`s hour is a fantastic insight into the fairer sexes mind there`s a lot going on we know nothing about, it`s got me a whole new understanding of them, I`ve even started to get somethings wright Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #327115 29th Apr 2014 11:05pm
jav-uk

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
Yep, maybe not the best description Whistle
The web link is for an adapter that boost the the DAB signal on a standard AM/FM aerial, no need to stick a DAB aerial on your windscreen or add another external one. The std LR telescopic aerial is approx 80cm, for best DAB reception a shorter aerial, 30-40 cm is preferred. It's all to do with radio signal wavelengths and optimal tuning of your aerial Thumbs Up

I find the DAB clarity of Radio 4 amazing, brings a whole new listening pleasure to womans hour, even SWMBO was impressed Very Happy Paul

Pondering a New 90 Commercial
2020 Evoque
* 2014 110 SW JE Stage 2.
*2010 110 Utility. JE Stage 2.
*2007 110 SW
*2003 90 JE Stage 2.
*2000 90 SW

If its not leaking it ain't full.
Post #327126 29th Apr 2014 11:56pm
martinfiattech

England 
Ah right I see thank you now it all makes sense. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #327400 30th Apr 2014 10:06pm
Dasher

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
I've fitted the Pioneer 8500 DAB unit and a screen aerial. The screen aerial is mounted high on the nearside. The 8500 has a rear USB and I have that fed to a MUD Glovebox which in turn holds the iPod. The whole thing works really well - much better than the unit supplied with the vehicle. Yes, there are problems with signal drop out in some places but generally I see (or hear) few problems. I can really recommend the change - it works best with a sound proofing package too!!
Post #332064 19th May 2014 3:53pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Ha!
DAB radios or should that be Disappointing Audio Broadcasts as the signal from any DAB transmitter is nowhere near as strong as Analogue FM and never will be.

The other anomaly with DAB signals and receivers (radios) especially in cars it’s a bit like the reception you get with a 3g mobile phone! Plus the metal of the car acts like as a Faraday cage, an electrical phenomenon which blocks the ultra-high frequency radio signals DAB uses. So you have to carefully position your antenna and even then there is no guarantee it will pick up all signals as your car moves, you really need to be on the move while you position your aerial.

As for signal coverage there are alarming blank spots even in the most populated areas.
As for listening to the radio in the car a consistent signal is essential. But that is not guaranteed with DAB.

As for quality of DAB services most of us are being misinformed because the way digital information is compressed into ‘files’ of sound for broadcast also affects quality. High and low frequencies of sound are lost in this compression process, and subtle harmonics obliterated

Also this is terrible technology in this country we use wave Band 111 which was last used for the television 405 line services and that was also terrible. This country for some reason will not adopt Band 11 which would be much better.

Consequently the switch off of Analogue will not now take place in 2015, and it is debated when indeed it will ever be, analyst are quoting 2030 because certain criteria has to be met which at the moment is stalling such as

National digital radio coverage to match FM coverage (then won’t happen for at least a decade)

Local digital radio to reach 90% of the population (very doubtful if that will ever happen)

50% of radio listening to be on digital radio platforms, (most people are not going out and buying DAB radios.)

So those who are converting to DAB wait as FM is so much better and those who have invested in new DAB radios you may have wasted your money
Post #332077 19th May 2014 4:46pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I'm a big fan of DAB, it's pretty much all I listen to in the car (my D4). As you can't get Radio 5 on FM, I was mightily relived when I got a decent DAB enabled car. It works for me all over the country, I live in Peaks and it's fine here too. So the service is great, the quality is great and it just works for me..Smile

Just wish I could get a decent DAB radio for my Defender, but cant find one that will also do a video screen (for reversing camera), Bluetooth and fit in a single DIN without a flip out screen.

Cheers

Simon
Post #332078 19th May 2014 5:03pm
muddybaldboy

Wales 1999 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
[quote="gilarion"

Local digital radio to reach 90% of the population (very doubtful if that will ever happen)

50% of radio listening to be on digital radio platforms, (most people are not going out and buying DAB radios.)

So those who are converting to DAB wait as FM is so much better and those who have invested in new DAB radios you may have wasted your money[/quote]

x2. Whistle He who dies with the most toys...wins!
Post #332090 19th May 2014 6:32pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Just a recap on the misconceptions that some owners of DAB and Radio 5 are having.

You do not need a DAB radio to pick up Radio 5 and if any retailer says different they are not telling the truth,
Radio 5 is available on Long Wave at 198 and always has been, it is also available through most local transmitting masts on Medium Wave. Nearly all analogue radio whether car or home models will have at least one of these bands as well as FM

If your radio Ariel is of good condition the signal and quality of the broadcast on both LW and MW for Radio 5 is excellent.
Post #332095 19th May 2014 6:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>