Home > Expedition & Overland > Cumbria green lanes march 14 - our route
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
Cumbria green lanes march 14 - our route
Cumbria Green Roads March 14 - our route

These are the details from our recent trip, all done by Defenders, D3 with rock sliders and a shiny new D4, except where mentioned. Unfortunately I forgot to take photos of the start points but will try and describe them. Green Road details (OS Map extracts and route data sheets) can be found on Cumbria County Council Website here, some are one way, this will tell you

http://cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/publ...Routes.asp

I also used LRO March 13 to source information about a few different routes and have cross referenced the LRO route number and the council number where applicable.

My final source of information this time was Defender2 forum here

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic25868.html

The way I chose to go was to print the OS map extracts A3 size, the using them and the data sheets, found the start points on Google maps on my I Pad. Once I had that it was fairly easy to mark the start points into my I Phone NavFree. I left it to the Sat Nav to take us between end and start points, it did seem to work quite well.

We stayed at the Windermere Manor hotel, good quality at a bargain price (£80 for a twin room B&B and 2 course dinner was £15 extra).

This was our intended route:

Route Day 1
Leave M6 at Junction 39 south on A6 signposted to Kendal

Sat Nav Fav 1 Breasthigh Road. U3278 os91 South West. we did this last time

Sat Nav Fav 2 Ford crossing for a photo call similar to LRO (for those with snorkels although not really deep this time) (south of Winster from LRO)

Sat Nav Fav 3 U5600 (from LRO March 13 number 1) os97 west

Sat Nav Fav 4 U5248 (from LRO March 13 number 2) os97 west

Sat Nav Fav 5 U5228 could add U5229 (from LRO March 13 number 3) os97 west

Sat Nav Fav 6 U5788 (from LRO March 13 number 11) os97 west we did miss this one in the end to get to the next one as it looked good

Sat Nav Fav 7 U5255 (from LRO March 13 number 12) on os 90 south east left the discoveries at the end and went out and back, what a great track with hairpins similar to San Francisco and the narrowest gap between a house and wall at the very end!

Route Day 2
Around the bottom of Windermere rather than the ferry

Sat Nav Fav 8 U5203 & U5204 (from LRO March 13 number 4) os97 west

Sat Nav Fav 9 U5213 South (from LRO March 13 number 5) os97 west

Sat Nav Fav 10 U5062 (from LRO March 13 number 6) os97 west

Sat Nav Fav 11 U5051– This one is Parkamoor, absolutely stunning high above Coniston Water, AJM took his discovery, very very tight between walls for a short period but was brilliant going up the steep rocky sections. Euan left his D4 at the start, I would have left mine as well! This single track took around an hour and a half out and 45 mins back, but we were taking our time.

Sat Nav Fav 12 U5050 (from LRO March 13 number 7) os97 west – we did this last time we missed this one due to time

Sat Nav Fav 13 U5015 (from LRO March 13 number os97 west - this was quite good as well

Sat Nav Fav 14 U5001 – 4 High Tiberthwaite (from LRO March 13 number 9) os 90 South West – we did this last time we missed this one due to time

Sat Nav Fav 15 U5739 - (from LRO March 13 number 10) os 90 South West we missed this one due to time

Sat Nav Fav 16 U2236 & U3182 Old Coach Road we did this last time

If you want any more details then just ask 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #315719 13th Mar 2014 8:30pm
Cuthbert

Very interesting and comprehensive posting - thanks.

After such a wet winter - I'd be interested in hearing about the surface conditions on those sections. It would also be of interest if you were to comment on just how passable some sections are in a shiny new vehicle (the Disco) as opposed to a more extreme off-road Defender.

I was thinking of heading over that way for a bit of exploration but didn't want to totally trash my new Defender on its first green lane experience. Have noted a few chaps on here have done The Old Coach Road route.
Post #315807 14th Mar 2014 12:23am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Fantastic info...thank you for taking the time to publish it...I'll be saving in my favourites... Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #315825 14th Mar 2014 7:39am
Dave T

You will also find details of our trip in November here

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic103439.html

I would say at a guess probably 85-90% of the trails we did are stone/rock and the rest was firm mud so have stood up very well to all the wet weather, there are a few bits that have been washed out a little but overall I would say they are all very usable (as long as everyone doesn't go ssssshhhhhhh!)

There were only two sections that the D4 didn't do and one that the D3 missed.

U5255 (from LRO March 13 number 12) At the West end is a sign saying about the width and length restriction at the far end. I have heard that some have taken a D3 through the gap but it is extremely tight even in a 90. You do also need to be careful on the hairpin bit. Personally, I wouldn't take anything longer or wider than a 90 down this one, it was also bone dry when we went, if wet then there would be the possibility of sliding into some large rocks on the downhill section.

U5051– This one is Parkamoor, absolutely stunning high above Coniston Water, AJM took his discovery, very very tight between walls for a short period but was brilliant going up the steep rocky sections. Euan left his D4 at the start, I would have left mine as well! This single track took around an hour and a half out and 45 mins back, but we were taking our time. This one has probably the most chance of damage, again bone dry for us and if wet would increase the posssibility of damage by sliding on rocks. I would be nervous in anything expensive!

Remember that there is always a risk of damage but all of the others it did seem quite a low risk as long as you take your time and walk any rocky bits first to avoid the rocky clumps. The old coach road we found is pretty boring to be honest, there is nothing particularly challenging, just one small section that is washed out and causes a bit of sideways leaning (I really detest this sideways stuff Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ) and is just generally rough and uncomfortable. It does have some good views, but nothing compared to some of the others.
It is usually a good one for us as it is on the way home anyway.

I will be uploading photos at some point which will help to see the terrain, anything else just ask. Thumbs Up 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #315830 14th Mar 2014 8:04am
Cuthbert

Big thanks to Dave T for his most informative posts about Cumbria.

I carefully followed in his footsteps (or more correctly his tyre treads), learned from his suggestions/experiences and had a lovely day out. After months of incessant rain I was surprised at how passable the tracks were - maybe all those steep gradients provide natural drainage.

Never met another Land Rover on the tracks - only a few ramblers, farmers, cyclists and bikers. Contrary to what I've read about 4X4 drivers getting aggro - all I received was smiles and waves - so that's another myth busted.

A second myth was also busted regarding land Rover reliability - It is worth noting that no components on the new Defender fell off, failed, broke or performed badly.
Post #316832 17th Mar 2014 11:36pm
Dave T

So which ones did you do? 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #316935 18th Mar 2014 6:23pm
Cuthbert

Did the Old Coach Road in both directions and another two - round Whin Fell and Mosser Fell
Post #317011 18th Mar 2014 10:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1