↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Hi all ....... Just bought a Lemon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Rusty Spanner

sweatysock wrote:
Okay, interesting thread given I sold this Land Rover .

I had the defender for circa a year with no trouble or indications of any issues. I bought the defender from a reputable land rover dealer and only had a good experience with the car and as such was as surprised as Rusty Spanner that there was an issue with the chassis. When I was informed of this I did phone RS and offered to send a picture (if supplied) to the place where I purchased it to see if they would be interested in considering the Rolling with laughter situation.

I am sadended by the outcome here but I sold the car without being an expert and describing it to the best of my ability with my knowledge land rovers and expereince of the car in question.

I am not a trader, I only sold the 90 to move onto a 110 and until I heared Rusty Spanners situation beliefed the 90 was a great vehicle.

Anyhow, just thought I would share this. When I last spoke to RS he was going to weld the problem area in the rear quarter area which I understood was the only problem.

Hi Keith
Will post some pictures for you tomorrow. The chassis needs a lot more than a little patch
I bought the car the same as you sold it in good faith, it just now appears I'm stuck with a car that's going to require a hell of a lot spending on it to Mot .

It's lucky if you can call it that that I can weld so the only cost is going to be the parts, plus my time and effort

I don't want to go down the returning the car eBay resolution process, I don't want the who's to blame, who should of checked what, and who's responsible nonsense . But I was buying an excellent car that would require next to nothing to mot your words Keith . You would be just as annoyed as me if I'd sold it to you

Just for the record I haven't once called you or blamed you for any of this ...... But yes I'm annoyed, I'm pee'd off and I'm 5k out of pocket

It doesn't have to end bad, I don't mind putting the time and effort in to repair the chassis but should It be at my expense too

Will call you tomorrow Keith when I'm in a better frame of mind
Post #231054 27th Apr 2013 10:41pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Consider yourself lucky when i bought mine off a reputable dealer FRIEND i spent 3 k more than you and had no better a car at te end even after the limited amount of work was done under the warranty i got i still ended up nearly 2 grand further into the hole to get the car to the standard it should have been for the price i paid for it. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #231071 28th Apr 2013 6:32am
Rusty Spanner

Not much of a FRIEND then Question And it still doesn't make it right
Post #231093 28th Apr 2013 9:05am
bcarlin

Scotland 
If the guy selling doesn't know the chassis is bad its up to you to get an independent inspection done on the motor or for you to have a good poke about it before buying it.you may be 5k out of pocket at the moment but the motor isn't getting scrapped so you will get money back on it once its fixed or even get some money back the way it is. Anyone who is buying an older defender should check the chassis themselves as its well know how long they last before needing welding or replaced.
Post #231110 28th Apr 2013 10:17am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i would just fix it and put it down as one of those things. more important things in life to worry about. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #231146 28th Apr 2013 12:34pm
Rusty Spanner

bcarlin wrote:
If the guy selling doesn't know the chassis is bad its up to you to get an independent inspection done on the motor or for you to have a good poke about it before buying it.you may be 5k out of pocket at the moment but the motor isn't getting scrapped so you will get money back on it once its fixed or even get some money back the way it is. Anyone who is buying an older defender should check the chassis themselves as its well know how long they last before needing welding or replaced.

If I sold you something described as excellent I would make sure it was excellent and if it wasn't Id offer your money back . Although I believe Keith new nothing about the chassis, that's something I will never know for sure, I do know one thing though I'll never buy another car with a short mot .
Keith's offered a small gesture and I've accepted so that's the end of the matter .............. I cant say I'm ecstatic with my new purchase .And just because your buying a Defender doesn't mean you should accept Censored I could quite easily fill and paint the chassis MOT it, move it on and get my money back but that's not me . In one way I'm lucky the rest of the cars not bad its something to work with

At least its going to get a proper repair this time
Post #231162 28th Apr 2013 1:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12