↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > The definitive Defender ICE thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 22 of 69 <123 ... 212223 ... 676869>
Print this entire topic · 
AlpenAndes

Austria 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Belize Green
On my KDC BT948HD it also says on the webpage it can only handle 255 files per folder, 255 folders, max number of files and folder 65025 per USB. checked having over 1000 in one folder on an USB and it shows only 255. Still not tried to split them up and see what happens... The shuffle mode seems to have a certain algorithm that plays a handfull of songs repeatedly. Contacted customer service several times if there is a solution, no answer, no update available.
Post #201014 12th Jan 2013 4:20am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Currently run alpine head unit (sorry steve but they are the best !!!!) with active 8"sub, 4" components up front and 6" components and amp in the rear. I have fantastic bass and treble but feel it rather lacks warmth and depth. Currently the rear 6" speakers are mounted in sealed enclosures I made out of 24mm ply and carpeted. looking at the focal 6" components or 6x9 and making new enclosure. Interested to hear peoples opinions or advice. Should I make sealed enclosure or just a face ? If sealed what size ?? The ones I made are fitted to sides of the rear tub, and protrude out about 80mm and I'd like to retain this sort of size.
Post #202077 15th Jan 2013 5:33pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Clarion Subwoofer fitted
Recently finished fitting a Clarion Powered subwoofer that arrived at Christmas time.

Fits nicely under the rear seats of the 110 with cables taken under carpet to connect under cubby box. Works nicely with the clarion head unit, remote control and four crossover settings on the remote as well as a number of crossover settings etc available from the head-unit, so a wide range of setup options from a 'woolly' thud to a crisp thwack.

Not massively loud but adds as whole new dimension to the sound, rather than piling on the volume. This is with all the other speakers as standard and the rear ones turned right down so as not to deafen the dog!

I believe this was the model fitted (or similar) to the SVX range (under the cubby)

Cost wise 127 plus a bit for a 1 into 2 cable (not sure why they don't send that) but they do include cables for breaking into existing speaker cables, although I believe this negates the crossover settings from the head unit using subwoofer outputs.

Easy to fit and wire up as I already made the cables ready when I installed th eheadunit.

Not as high end as some might be on here but for reasonable money a worthy 'invisible' upgrade.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #202089 15th Jan 2013 6:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Re: Clarion Subwoofer fitted
d j hutton wrote:

Not as high end as some might be on here but for reasonable money a worthy 'invisible' upgrade.

DJ

Quality doesn't always cost a lot to make improvements. A quality sounding HU can be acquired for around 100 but with basic features. It's often features such as BT and iPod integration ect that put the price up. Providing people stick to premium brands they should be pleased with the outcome. (Yes even Alpine Rolling Eyes ) Even though their plastic is recycled from used Barbie dolls. Whistle Laughing

Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #202097 15th Jan 2013 6:38pm
barbel jim

Is that why my sound isn't warm and deep - to protect barbies skin Rolling with laughter
Post #202103 15th Jan 2013 6:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes it's high and squeeky frequencies. Rolling with laughter

On a serious note it probably isn't that bad just we all have our likes and dislikes. Plenty out there perhaps can't stand Kenwood but doesn't mean I hate them for it. Even Alpine is a better choice instead of some Chinese rubbish out there. With internals of rice paper. (Can I say that) Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #202112 15th Jan 2013 7:22pm
barbel jim

So Steve...... 6x9 or 6" components ? Sealed enclosures or not ?

I was Kenwood through and through back in the 90's !!!!! I still have my old H/unit Tape player with a 10 disc CD changer in the roof- What a piece of kit !!!! One day I'll get another cossie and fit it again ! Mr. Green
Just feel Kenwood have lost the quality, exclusivity it once had. About 8 years ago I brought a H/d unit with silver fasia... It was a great piece of kit just had an awful over complicated display in 4 colours, and a G meter !!!!
Post #202121 15th Jan 2013 7:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The can be complicated but once mastered leads to superiority IMO. And I'd go 6x9 and leaning towards sealed but it isn't easy to do. Your talking a lot of custom fit work but should be worth it. How does two 6x9's with 1000w peak for the pair sound? Razz Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #202143 15th Jan 2013 8:09pm
barbel jim

I know it'll be alot of work, Thats why I'm asking the question now. Its a 2 channel 500 watt amp was looking at the focal PC690 which are rated at 160 watts peak. I know what I like sound wise. There is nothing worse than be able to hear something that annoys rather than massages your ears.
It is the warmth and depth that it lacks. I know 6" K2's would be ideal. but in the back of a H/T work horse a tad ott for fear of killing them- ie damage to 300= speakers.
A sealed enclosure would need a specific size to work. I have looked at a pre fab 6x9 enclosure. It won't fit but a custom made one would be similar size. Thumbs Up
Post #202161 15th Jan 2013 8:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Trouble is with the prefab boxes they're not much good for anything as they don't really fit anywhere you want. Custom made boxes you can make any size or shape really providing the internal volume is correct. You probably already know this but to find out internal volume:

Measure in inches:

Width times the length =
Take that figure and times it by the depth. =
Add these figures together and divide by 1728

should = a figure like 0.64444 (Or format 0.0000)

So as an example that would be 0.46 CuFT (Cubic FT) Easily converted to litres using an online converion if required.

All dimensions must be taken internally of the enclosure. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #202164 15th Jan 2013 8:40pm
barbel jim

So what size woul;d be optimal for a 6x9 ? seen sizes for 0.25 to 0.45 cubic foot on inter web. Would the focals state an enclosure size ?
Post #202174 15th Jan 2013 8:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It depends on the power really. And most manufacturers state the internal volume required in the manual that comes with it. Seeing as (I assume) you haven't purchased yet perhaps try and download the manual for them on-line and have a look there. If it still doesn't state it there then an educated guess of another 6x9 brand with the same or very near power rating would do. General rule of thumb the higher the power rating the larger the volume. As a benchmark my sub (different i know) is 450w rms and requires an internal volume of 0.5 cuFT - 0.75cuFT of which is at about 0.66 for mine.
A few figures punched in on a calculator and you've got a rough guide.

On-line Calculator Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #202183 15th Jan 2013 8:56pm
barbel jim

Not purchased yet but in the I want I want justification process Laughing
not finished the sound proofing yet so will connect up the old 6" components first and have a play, but already brought the 18mm MDF for the new boxes ! Thumbs Up
Thanks for the pointers Steve.
The good thing about focal is there arn't that many speakers in each range to choose, however kenwood appear to have over 30 versions of 6x9 !!!
Post #202189 15th Jan 2013 9:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
barbel jim wrote:
however kenwood appear to have over 30 versions of 6x9 !!!

They do but many are previous models which are no longer sold. Only the newest models are the one's to look into. I must admit though it can be annoying when you want matching grilles at a later date and there is a newer version with a different grille. Also many of them are varying power ratings.

P.s. Your welcome. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #202190 15th Jan 2013 9:07pm
barbel jim

Spoke to Armour auto who are focals UK distributor. Ideal enclosure size is .35 to .75 cu/ft for those 6x9 !!! So .5 cu/ft sounds ideal. Almost as big as your sub box !! Whistle
At least now I can work out the practicalities -
Post #202376 16th Jan 2013 6:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 22 of 69 <123 ... 212223 ... 676869>