Home > Wheels & Tyres > Davanti Terratoura
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
dimet

Spain 
Hi!
I've just registered to your Forum.
I'm sorry to enter this way... I still don't know if there is a place to present myself...
I will do it!
I'm a Discovery 3 owner, from near Barcelona (Catalunya), and I've seen this interesting thread about the Terratoura's...
I've to replace my worn tires, and I was thinking about the Toyo Open Country AT3 or the Terratoura...
At the moment there is no stock for the Toyo's (until mid January)...
I like the Davanti's, and they are cheaper!
My doubt is, what about its behavior on higways or mountain asphalted roads?
In mud I'm almost sure that it will be OK for me, and in snow, I believe it will, too...
My use is about 90% on road, but I like to enjoy the capabilities of our Landy when I can!

Now I don't know what to do... Shall I wait for the Toyo's, or I buy immediatelly de Terratoura's?

Thanks in advance!
Post #1018898 21st Dec 2023 11:36am
Evil Elsie

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Alpine White
Hello dimet,
Mine have been faultless on the road (110 Td5) up to 75 - 80 mph.

You have to bear in mind that they are an 'All Terrain' tyre though - drive accordingly... 👍😁👍

Cheers, Dave. 2002 Land Rover 110 Td5 Utility
1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
1980 Yamaha RD 350LC
1976 Yamaha RD 400C
Post #1018912 21st Dec 2023 2:35pm
dimet

Spain 
Thank you! Thumbs Up
In the past I used the General Grabber AT2 in the same Disco3. I was quite pleased with them... They were slightly noisy at about 60km/h (37mph), but not annoying...
There was a lose in the road behavior, when cornering... They were more "fluffy" compared with the standard road tires, less confident at high speed... I had to slowdown due to that sensations...
They never slipped anywhere, just sensations...
If the Terratouras are similar -or better- to the AT2, they would be good for me, but if they are worse, then I may wait for the Toyos (I neither don't know about the Toyo's AT3 road behavior... Whistle )
Post #1018915 21st Dec 2023 2:49pm
spudfan

Ireland 
The only way you will get a definitive answer on this, is from someone who has driven the same vehicle on both sets of tyres and can give you a comparison of both sets of tyres.
As I said earlier my daughter is on her second set of Davanti Terratoura tyres on a Defender 90 300 tdi and is happy with them. Mixed driving including towing a horsebox. They are slightly cheaper as they are the new kid on the block and trying to get established in a competitive market.
Looking at both tyres the Davanti might be slightly more road orientated as the thread is not quite as open as the Toyo tyre but this is only subjective going by the photos on line. I have driven my daughter's 90 with the Davanti tyres and found them fine.
You will just have to make your choice and live with it. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1018926 21st Dec 2023 4:43pm
dimet

Spain 
Thanks!

I looked for info about the Davanti's and found it nowhere but here...
I've focused my attention on these tyres due to the comments written in this thread.
It is really unknown in Spain... and everywhere...
I like its tread. It seems to be good on snow, good mud autocleaning, and a not to much aggressive tread (less noise).

Yours seems to be the unique info on this tyres in the world!... and seems credible (I love Land Rover people!).

Do you have other references to be compared with, to know if it's more or less road biased?
Post #1018934 21st Dec 2023 5:46pm
spudfan

Ireland 
For what it is worth
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Davanti/Terratoura-AT.htm 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1018936 21st Dec 2023 6:00pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
dimet wrote:
Thank you! Thumbs Up
In the past I used the General Grabber AT2 in the same Disco3. I was quite pleased with them... They were slightly noisy at about 60km/h (37mph), but not annoying...
There was a lose in the road behavior, when cornering... They were more "fluffy" compared with the standard road tires, less confident at high speed... I had to slowdown due to that sensations...
They never slipped anywhere, just sensations...
If the Terratouras are similar -or better- to the AT2, they would be good for me, but if they are worse, then I may wait for the Toyos (I neither don't know about the Toyo's AT3 road behavior... Whistle )

Hello,

Ironically a big chunk of the testing of the Terratouras was done at AppPlus Idiada near Barcelona!

I would say based on what I have driven on both, they are a superior performing tyre to the grabbers- I have never been very impressed with the grabber AT2 in any way other than ride comfort…..where they are very good.

Regards

Chris
Post #1019037 22nd Dec 2023 10:35pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
There are no published independent tests that feature the Terratoura, in fact there a very few tests of AT tyres at all, which I suppose is understandable given the niche nature of the 4x4 sector. I don’t count the review in LRO a few years ago as Devanti were advertising in the mag at the time and were giving tyres out to journalists/influencers.

I have found 2 proper tests including other Devanti products

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2019-A...e-Test.htm

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/Are-Bu...m-Tyre.htm 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1019056 23rd Dec 2023 10:02am
NoLimits

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Havana
I have recently fitted these in 285/60 18 size and they are ok, I have noticed they are very sensitive to tyre pressures and seem to prefer lower pressures
Post #1019084 23rd Dec 2023 3:02pm
Chris86

Bluest wrote:
There are no published independent tests that feature the Terratoura, in fact there a very few tests of AT tyres at all, which I suppose is understandable given the niche nature of the 4x4 sector. I don’t count the review in LRO a few years ago as Devanti were advertising in the mag at the time and were giving tyres out to journalists/influencers.

I have found 2 proper tests including other Devanti products

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2019-A...e-Test.htm

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/Are-Bu...m-Tyre.htm

I will try and track down the benchmark testing that was done when they were developing the tyres, it was published at the time- and was done by an independent tyre engineering & testing company as part of the design process for the Terratoura.

There is very little "proper" testing published unfortunately because its quite hard and quite expensive to do. ADAC sometimes publish stuff, but a lot of the stuff you see online isn't that brilliant.

I'm off to Finland testing again next year, and will be spending quite a few days doing repeated 0-100kmh-0 on calibrated surfaces with telemetry on the car with a grouptest of tyres......that is the only way to get proper data.

Chris
Post #1019285 26th Dec 2023 11:39am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'm somewhat jealous Chris! I spend quite a bit of time with test drivers/engineers at MIRA and as a lapsed mechanical engineer I feel I missed my calling. I did get to try all-season v summer tyres back to back on the basalt pavement this year and also some aquaplaning tests. It's a fascinating world. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1019332 26th Dec 2023 10:40pm
Chris86

I'm very lucky in what I get involved in,

the opportunity to help out with testing tyres came about very much by chance with an interaction online with a test company, who then brought me in to deliver some off road driver training before they went and did some milage accumulation/attrition testing with a tyre.

Subsequently they have had me along to do demonstration work for customers/wholesalers and on launch events as well as assisting them with some of the testing for an MT tyre they have been developing for a customer- they also get me along to provide support/safety for some of the testing.

This next trip to Finland will be a mixture of training (for me this time!) on low friction handling, and work assisting with the testing.

Chris
Post #1019646 30th Dec 2023 4:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345