↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Davanti Terratoura
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
^^^^^

What size tyres are running with the defender please ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1001158 21st Jul 2023 8:42pm
Evil Elsie

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Alpine White
Hiya,
I'm running 265/75 r16 @ 33psi f&r.

I think a lot of the discussion on this thread comes down to 'branding' - and a bit of fear about wasting £500.

I'm perfectly happy in a Tesco t-shirt but I know people (and have a lot of time and respect for them) who wouldn't leave their house in one.
I fully get why people want BFG/Grabber/Cooper's etc - you know what you're going to get - and they're 'cool'. Who doesn't want cool stuff on their Landy..??

When I fitted some Cooper Discoverer at2 to my lightweight years ago, I nor anybody else had heard of Cooper Tires (that felt soooo wrong spelling it like that 😄) and it was a gamble that paid off.

Every product, even the best thing ever, will have the odd negative review because nothing is perfect for everyone.

Mine have only been fitted for the past 5 months but have been faultless - so far..

95% roads, 5% gravel tracks and wet grass. Lots of rain.... 🙄

Cheers, 2002 Land Rover 110 Td5 Utility
1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
1980 Yamaha RD 350LC
1976 Yamaha RD 400C
Post #1001204 22nd Jul 2023 9:52am
NoLimits

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Havana
I kinda disagree about the discussion on here being biased by ‘branding’ (I do agree that some of the other tyre threads are brand biased)

For me it’s all about the unknown, I know my 235/85 16 Wildpeaks are awesome, but as I’m swapping to 285/60 18’s I’m taking the opportunity to see what else is out there. So I’m looking for a decent road and wet weather tyre and Davanti’s are on my list of possible choices.

Also I would really like these tyres to be exactly what I’m looking for as I do like to support British companies
Post #1001236 22nd Jul 2023 11:50am
Evil Elsie

Fair point - I didn't intend to have a dig at anybody or anything...👍👍

It's just one of those things - until something becomes popular it's on the fringes. If, in ten years time, Davantis are popular and part of the established 'norm' then the tyre threads of the day will be;
'Hello, I'm looking to replace my tyres and am considering a set of "NeverHeardOfEm".
And then people like me will start going on about 'you can't go wrong with Davantis. I've been using them for years. Edd Cobley uses them ' (does he really..?? 'cos that would be a proper endorsement) and I wouldn't be wrong.
You pays your money and you takes your choice... 2002 Land Rover 110 Td5 Utility
1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
1980 Yamaha RD 350LC
1976 Yamaha RD 400C
Post #1001250 22nd Jul 2023 12:34pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I've had the Davanti Terratoura AT for the last few years. Great tires both on and off the road. I've not had any issues in the wet. Where they are really good is clearing the muck out of the treads really quick. I'll not be going back to the branded ones
Post #1001281 22nd Jul 2023 3:30pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Evil Elsie wrote:
Fair point - I didn't intend to have a dig at anybody or anything...👍👍

It's just one of those things - until something becomes popular it's on the fringes. If, in ten years time, Davantis are popular and part of the established 'norm' then the tyre threads of the day will be;
'Hello, I'm looking to replace my tyres and am considering a set of "NeverHeardOfEm".
And then people like me will start going on about 'you can't go wrong with Davantis. I've been using them for years. Edd Cobley uses them ' (does he really..?? 'cos that would be a proper endorsement) and I wouldn't be wrong.
You pays your money and you takes your choice...

Yep Edd sure does:thumbsup:
Post #1001282 22nd Jul 2023 3:32pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Shame they don't make the AT in 255/85 x 16. Sad
Post #1001287 22nd Jul 2023 3:48pm
Evil Elsie

Quote:

Yep Edd sure does:thumbsup

That's good to know. If only I could drive a tiny fraction as well as him..😀👍😀 2002 Land Rover 110 Td5 Utility
1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
1980 Yamaha RD 350LC
1976 Yamaha RD 400C
Post #1001289 22nd Jul 2023 3:51pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
^ I would endorse them if they sponsored my fun drives too. Laughing
Post #1001307 22nd Jul 2023 5:46pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
I’m quite unusual given my main job, and also my involvement on the fringe of helping with some testing of tyres.

I have driven on probably the majority of AT and MT tyres available in the UK, some in comparative tests (same size, pressure, vehicle and controlled test surfaces).

I can genuinely say, based on observing tests, seeing data and first hand experiences that the Terratoura AT is a very good tyre- they really wanted it to be a true all terrain but with minimal compromises for road performance and noise.

Watch this space for the upcoming MT too…….

Chris
Post #1001316 22nd Jul 2023 6:51pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Chris86, you really liked the Toyo tyres when you fitted them. Are these Devanti just better in your opinion? Is there a reason why you wouldn’t fit Toyo this time around?
Post #1001361 23rd Jul 2023 9:13am
Chris86

Hi,

I’m well impressed with the Toyo Open country MT , I’m still running them on the 110- my only criticism of them would be that the set we run on our L200 have started to get very noisy recently as they have got past the 30k mark.

My usage has changed somewhat- particularly on the L200, and an AT is now more appropriate for what I’m doing- so based on the driving I have done on them and the performance data I have seen I will be fitting Davanti on that. It’s doing significantly more Road miles and towing, and for training more of our customers are shifting to an AT tyre too.

I am however yet to drive on the new Toyo AT which is due out soon- I’m not sure if it’s the same as the one in the states- if so it will likely be a very good tyre indeed, the previous/current version was too Road biased for the usage we put them through.

The 110 will be staying on Toyo for the foreseeable future because I really rate their mud terrain and the 110 still requires a mud for the work it does- also there are only 2 manufacturers that currently offer 255/85/16 and I’m firmly of the opinion that the Toyo is the superior product…..if I could get other brands in an alternative size that might change.

So in terms of your question, as a direct comparator the Toyo MT and the Davanti AT don’t directly compete…….so I’m trying to have the best of both worlds by running what are the best combination of vehicle/tyre for my current use.

I do however have 2 sets of wheels for each…..so will likely end up with a set of ATs and MTs for each…..
Post #1001368 23rd Jul 2023 10:16am
Rashers

Cheers Chris86 Thumbs Up

I will need to re-shoe the 110 at some point and although the MT tyres look great, I am like you that I don’t need that style. I do quite a bit of off road work, on fields and rough tracks, but no mud plugging Laughing I’ve actually never had any issues with the Continentals which were factory fitted. I’m not sure if I am in a minority there, no one ever seems to talk about re-fitting the same - unless of course Continental don’t make them in Defender sizes now? I’ve never found them whilst searching online.

The Davanti tyre sounds ideal for me. Thank you.

As a side, I have a friend who forked out on BFG and the side walls started cracking after only 18-24 months. He was highly disappointed. He did take them back to the suppliers and I can’t remember the outcome. I can’t remember who supplied the tyres or how long they had been stored before fitting and it was three or four years ago now.
Post #1001385 23rd Jul 2023 11:38am
Chris86

Happy to help- my involvement with tyre testing had been a massive eye opener for me and I'm happy to share knowledge where I can.

I'm lucky with what I do that I get to try lots of different vehicles and tyre combinations, and sometimes in controlled test conditions.

Theres very few "bad" tyres on the market these days, but there are definitely some that do perform better than others.

The difficulty is for every attribute you want, there is usually a play off for less-good performance elsewhere.

We did some benchmark testing last year with a group of 7 MT tyres ranging from "market leading" to the cheapest remould we could find (that was also shaped like a 50p......) and one tyre absolutely excelled at providing traction in thick gloopy mud, climbing out of ruts and lateral stability on side slopes........it was the same tyre that when we did a test transitioning from wet mud, to drier sandy/muddy soft ground and then onto a greasy sandstone climb performed really poorly- the compounding just didn't work.

We ran similar tests in Finland and it was shocking the difference between the best mud terrain on snow and ice, and the worst.......then driving on a 3 peak all terrain, an all season, a winter, a Nordic and then finally on studs...... Mud terrains are not good at all on snow, despite what people still try to claim......

Going further......the latest designs of all seasons are getting very close in performance to that of a "full" winter nowadays, which is mainly a reflection of tyre companies recognising that having 2 sets of tyres is expensive and inconvenient for many people and chucking ££££££ at the latest all season designs.

Chris
Post #1001390 23rd Jul 2023 12:23pm
Rashers

Cheers Chris

I follow you and enjoy what you post on Instagram. It’s all very interesting !!

It is great that the all seasons tyres are now getting almost as good as winter tyres. It is a faff changing wheels, not that I have gone down that road!
Post #1001401 23rd Jul 2023 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>