↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > cars you don't see on the roads, anymore
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 20 <123 ... 101112 ... 181920>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
The Mazda MX6 was a very nice car, my brother in law had one in red Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1012327 23rd Oct 2023 7:45pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Last Friday, i happen to be behind a Subaru Impreza saloon mk1 on a S reg, i don't think it was the turbo variant, i couldn't hear any dump valve going off. Been a good while since i saw an early Impreza, those just seemed to have vanished from the roads.
Also yesterday on the other side of the road a Volvo 340 passed me, Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1015043 14th Nov 2023 6:46am
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi, There’s a lady in a Hamlet a couple of miles away from us who drives an immaculate Volvo 340 as a daily, also in the same Hamlet is a Moskovitch I think it’s a 412 and a big Nissan 4 door I don’t know the model of it but from memory it’s an early 90’s model almost the size of a Lexus LS400, when I next head over there on my walk I’ll get some pics Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #1015044 14th Nov 2023 7:26am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Procta wrote:
Last Friday, i happen to be behind a Subaru Impreza saloon mk1 on a S reg, i don't think it was the turbo variant, i couldn't hear any dump valve going off. Been a good while since i saw an early Impreza, those just seemed to have vanished from the roads.
Also yesterday on the other side of the road a Volvo 340 passed me, Thumbs Up

Most Subaru Impreza's became the victims of over enthusiastic drivers who ran out of talent. Many a fine Impreza has been written off by a tree or lamp post.

My Dad had a Volvo 340 on an E plate (1987-88?). It was a dreary vehicle. Built like a brick. which was unusual as they were based on a DAF design rather than purely a Volvo. It had a 1.7 engine (Renault based if I recall?) which was really undersized for it's mass. They did a 1.4. I never did drive one of those. My Grandparents had a 360. This had the 2 litre engine, and although nowhere near what you would call fast, it was a far better suited engine to the body shell. In fairness, they were both incredibly reliable and if all you wanted was a car to get you from A to B without any drama, they were pretty good.

I think Volvo lost its marque as being the ultra safe well built vehicles after these motors. The cars became more like every other euro box (I'm thinking about the 480) and crash safety, side impact protection, became the normal with every other car.

So to complete this post, many a tree or lamp post has been written off by a Volvo Laughing
Post #1015108 14th Nov 2023 7:27pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Saw a peach of a Williams Clio today, its been a while since seeing one Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #1015115 14th Nov 2023 8:14pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:
Procta wrote:
Also yesterday on the other side of the road a Volvo 340 passed me, Thumbs Up

Most Subaru Impreza's became the victims of over enthusiastic drivers who ran out of talent. Many a fine Impreza has been written off by a tree or lamp post.

My Dad had a Volvo 340 on an E plate (1987-88?). It was a dreary vehicle. Built like a brick. which was unusual as they were based on a DAF design rather than purely a Volvo. It had a 1.7 engine (Renault based if I recall?) which was really undersized for it's mass. They did a 1.4. I never did drive one of those. My Grandparents had a 360. This had the 2 litre engine, and although nowhere near what you would call fast, it was a far better suited engine to the body shell. In fairness, they were both incredibly reliable and if all you wanted was a car to get you from A to B without any drama, they were pretty good.

I think Volvo lost its marque as being the ultra safe well built vehicles after these motors. The cars became more like every other euro box (I'm thinking about the 480) and crash safety, side impact protection, became the normal with every other car.

So to complete this post, many a tree or lamp post has been written off by a Volvo Laughing

Yeah Rashers, i think the Subaru Impreza, has ended up like the Sierra Cosworth, Thrashed or destroyed with only a few examples about, even then its questionable how original those are, Read a few stories of re shells. I am suspecting the same thing will be with the sports versions of the Impreza.

The little Volvos, i have heard make excellent drift cars, Weld the rear diff up and your away. I think the 1.7 ones ring a bell for drifting, not sure if its down to the engine been tuneable or if a better Renault lump can go in. One thing about Volvos, i never saw any in the scrap yards that were badly damaged, I think most were just scrapped off in PX. My uncle though i remember buying one with the pop up lights, and i think it was the shortest owned car he ever had, to this very day. From what i recall, he may have only had it two weeks, when the engine went boom. The dealer tried to fix it for him, but the car was not right, so i think the dealer offered him something else, and the dealer scrapped the car in the end. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1015142 15th Nov 2023 6:47am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Muddybigdog wrote:
Saw a peach of a Williams Clio today, its been a while since seeing one

One of my 306 buddies has one of those, that he is restoring. Thumbs Up Laugh is that's another 90s hot hatch that no one really talks about in the retro hot hatch world. Seems to have been sort of forgotten that one. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1015143 15th Nov 2023 6:49am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Funnily enough I tend to see well looked after Impreza’s & Subaru’s in general on a daily basis……
Post #1015239 15th Nov 2023 8:44pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
My TL has two, one is 20 years old the other is 10 years old. The earlier one he mothballed last year due to the bodywork. The newer one he still uses every day. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1015685 19th Nov 2023 8:24pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
The older ones are far better quality body wise ‘if’ looked after…….
Post #1015821 20th Nov 2023 9:11pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
saw a piece of my history today, I was behind a Rover metro well a R100 Diesel, 5 door. Diesel ones were very rare back then. had the rot in the places, i was like, that's got to be the last one around the doors now. I may have had the one of the last of the early mk3 metros back in 2014 and the very last GTA 16v model too. My pal keeps showing me metros Laughing £2000 gets you a shed, and am i hell going back down that route of rebuilding one again, parts were a pain in the arse back in 2008! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1018123 12th Dec 2023 1:31am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I wonder when we will say Range Rovers……? Whistle

With thefts and insurance, Gerry’s hollow marketing words will soon fall flatter than a Russian General from a top floor window.
Post #1018159 12th Dec 2023 2:04pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
The Invalid Carriage Practical but So Ugly |

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #1018164 12th Dec 2023 2:49pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Barneyboy wrote:
Hi, There’s a lady in a Hamlet a couple of miles away from us who drives an immaculate Volvo 340 as a daily, also in the same Hamlet is a Moskovitch I think it’s a 412 and a big Nissan 4 door I don’t know the model of it but from memory it’s an early 90’s model almost the size of a Lexus LS400, when I next head over there on my walk I’ll get some pics Thumbs Up cheers Paul

Finally remembered to take a pic this morning, I was mistaken as what I thought was a Nissan is in fact a Honda 👍

Click image to enlarge
Post #1019075 23rd Dec 2023 1:22pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
i was behind a mk2 cavalier hatch back this morning on a E reg was great to see one. so a hit from the 80s there Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1020002 3rd Jan 2024 8:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 20 <123 ... 101112 ... 181920>