↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > P400e Area (L663) > Alarm goes off when charging at night!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Alarm goes off when charging at night!
I moved onto an EV tarrif which is cheaper to charge at night. However, I’ve found the car alarm goes off about 5mins after it starts charging at midnight! Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea why it would happen? Thanks
Post #1012939 28th Oct 2023 7:54am
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
I also charge mine overnight using a cheap tariff but I’ve never had issues with the alarm.

Have you tried varying the way you lock your car, single press and double press? Not saying it will make a difference but but it might help in diagnosing the issue. Single press will not enable the internal movement sensors is my understanding. 2019 Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography
2023 Defender 110 P400e X-Dynamic HSE - gone
2020 Defender P300 SE - gone

2019 Jaguar F-Pace SVR - gone
2013 SDV8 Autobiography - gone
2011 L322 TDV8 Vogue SE - gone
2006 L322 3.6 Vogue Se - gone
1999 P38 4.0 se - gone
199? Classic 3.5 - gone
Post #1013042 29th Oct 2023 7:59am
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Thanks Buz1500 I’ll try this and see if it makes a difference or at least helps diagnose what’s causing the issue.
Post #1013058 29th Oct 2023 10:01am
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Update for anyone who this happens to as well (although it seems extremely rare) - the main dealership updated the BCCM (whatever that is!) and thought it would resolve it. It hasn't and they advised calling Optimised Land Rover Assistance.....the button doesn't work in the car (!) so called old style on my phone and they're sending out a Land Rover technician this morning - can't fault them on getting someone out quickly! Let's see if they have any idea why it's doing it!
Post #1015870 21st Nov 2023 10:16am
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
another update (just for anyone that has the misfortune of this!) - the Land Rover optimised technician was great and arrived within a couple of hours. Identified that it's not the full alarm that goes off (i.e. no horn, no hazard lights, just the audible siren)....but that it does not log an alarm trigger so he couldn't fathom what's causing it. Back into the dealership next week.....!
Post #1016141 23rd Nov 2023 11:15am
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
The saga continues! The dealership couldn't recreate the issue in the workshop, which means they can't raise this with LR centrally! So I got it back with nothing fixed.....lo and behold, the alarm isn't going off at night on timed charging......but now it won't precondition and pings up with a message within a minute of starting preconditioning that the battery level is too low to continue....even though it's charged all night!

I had looked into this whole issue myself and got a second opinion, and thought it could be the 12v battery as this feeds the audible siren, which I informed the dealership of. They wouldn't do anything about it as they said the battery was fine. Now they think it could be the 12v as the message on preconditioning could be due to the 12v. Anyway, back to the dealership in the New Year for more fun and games!
Post #1018135 12th Dec 2023 11:01am
JARowley

I too have alarm going off (auditable, not full) when charging at night occasionally!
Post #1021213 14th Jan 2024 9:34pm
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Hi JARowley, I thought I was the only one! Does this mostly occur when you use the timed charging function from the car or do you use timed charging set from your EV wall charger?

Mine is with the dealership again this week (third time) and they have finally raised a TA with LR centrally. They initially tried to tell me it was my wall charger and kept handing the car back! They also said they couldn't re-create the alarm trigger in the workshop and so couldn't raise a TA. I have to say they have been awful in actually listening to how the alarm triggers for me at home and attempting to re-create it in the workshop - lots of just plugging it in, not using the timed charing correctly.

However, after the last time, I also started getting a preconditioning error message (you've got to be quick to see it as it disappears almost immediately from the app - see pic). The dealership then said it could be 12v battery, which I had already mentioned to them but they said the 12v was fine when tested. I'm going to speak to them again today as they've had it over a week and should be getting more assistance from LR centrally via the TA - I'll let you know what they say.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1021253 15th Jan 2024 10:27am
Fifer

I’m keeping an eye on this one. Mrs Fifer’s hybrid Evoque is in this week for the same thing - alarm going off when on a timed charge.

She’s got a new Disco Sport for the remainder of the week. Last time it was in we had a new RRS which was lovely.
Post #1021302 15th Jan 2024 6:53pm
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Hi Fifer, that’s really interesting that Mrs Fifer’s Evoque is in the workshop. Have they said what they think the problem is and do they have a solution for it?
Post #1021307 15th Jan 2024 7:47pm
Fifer

It was in before Christmas and they said they’d need it for three or four days to test. It was dropped off this morning,

They only confirmed they’d run the diagnostics and hook it up to their charger. I’ll update this post at the end of the week.
Post #1021316 15th Jan 2024 8:54pm
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Hi Fifer, it'll be interesting to hear what they say for the Evoque - it seems to be an industry fault with hybrid and is related to the 12v battery being drained, although I'm not sure what the exact issue is. Whereabouts are you located, generally - in case my dealership (Basingstoke) just try to hand the car back again? I can at least explain that I'm not the only one with this problem.
Post #1021374 16th Jan 2024 10:24am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Haven't had the issue with the BMW Hybrid and a good point on the 12v battery. Not sure how the BMW keeps this topped up as ours spends the vast majority of its times in EV. Can only assume it takes a charge from the Hybrid battery
Post #1021382 16th Jan 2024 12:18pm
Fifer

jimjamken wrote:
Hi Fifer, it'll be interesting to hear what they say for the Evoque - it seems to be an industry fault with hybrid and is related to the 12v battery being drained, although I'm not sure what the exact issue is. Whereabouts are you located, generally - in case my dealership (Basingstoke) just try to hand the car back again? I can at least explain that I'm not the only one with this problem.

The car is at Pentland, Edinburgh West. To be honest I fear a similar response.

I didn’t have this issue when I had my I8, although from experience with that and the Evoque I’d not run a PHEV without a top to tail warranty.
Post #1021387 16th Jan 2024 12:54pm
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Just got the below update from the dealership, based on the technician advice via the TA:

Instructions: 1. Carry out the Helptext actions for BCCM P3039-68

- Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check the battery charger control module low voltage circuits for short circuit to ground, short circuit to power, open circuit, high resistance.
- Check the electrical connectors for evidence of water ingress. Check the terminals for damage and corrosion. Repair the wiring harness as necessary
- Check the cooling system for leaks. Rectify as necessary
- Drain the cooling system. Refill and bleed the cooling system
- Check the operation of the coolant pump. Rectify as necessary[/list]
Post #1021390 16th Jan 2024 1:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>