↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 46 of 60 <123 ... 454647 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Right then... One rear axle back underneath Miffy... Goodness that is good to see. Went fairly easily. A little fiddle to get the ball joint in place, but apart from that, not bad at all.

Click image to enlarge

So, one new greasable ball joint in the a-frame, axle underneath and most of the other stuff is still to go on. Some how I am two caliper bolts short... Balls...

The old ball joint was the original to the vehicle and was loose as a goose.

Click image to enlarge

In other news the fuel filter housing is now painted and ready to go back on tomorrow.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1007527 13th Sep 2023 9:01pm
L110CDL

England 
Loving the " drying method " there geobloke Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1007631 14th Sep 2023 8:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
Loving the " drying method " there geobloke Very Happy

Life with an AGA Bow down Great for the kettle, roast dinners and curing paint Rolling Eyes
Post #1007731 15th Sep 2023 5:20pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Just a quick one this evening. Fitted the newly painted fuel filter housing, GORE fuel filter head and freshly polished brass :rofl: So shiny in the wheel well.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

All of the unions have been "adequately" coated in non-conductive grease (made by Lanoguard) to help prevent any future galvanic corrosion of the filter housing.

One quick purge cycle and good 'ol Miffy fires rights up. Goodness I love this vehicle Very Happy
Post #1007732 15th Sep 2023 5:22pm
L110CDL

England 
Great work there as ever geo Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1008102 18th Sep 2023 9:18pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Thanks Clay.

Think I have come to a decision... Shocked I have been going around the houses with regards to the rear crossmember on Miffy and to be honest the cost of replacing it is a good chunk towards a full chassis. Plus, it is not too bad and since I do not tow regularly it can just look a little scabby for now. Looking to the future I think the plan will be to do a chassis replacement on the ol' girl. Until that time, she will be slathered in preventative sheep goo.

Is this the time to break out the rear crossmember chequer plate Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter

Ultimately she needs to be driving, so back together she will go and out on to the roads. Thumbs Up

But not today as it is lashing it down outside... Rolling with laughter Have to love living in Wales Thumbs Up
Post #1008123 19th Sep 2023 8:37am
L110CDL

England 
Its just not Wales that's getting the rain, we've had loads down here as well, rain as heavy as thunder showers Rolling Eyes

I had this problem back in 2015 when i had to make this decision whether to do a cross member or full chassis, i went with a full chassis and i was glad i did this way as parts on top of the chassis that you cant see were totally gone Shocked 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1008401 21st Sep 2023 8:55pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yikes Clayton don't scare me Rolling with laughter Well I already know that the second row crossmember is toast and I have one to replace it, but you are quite correct there are bound to be brackets under there that will need as a minimum a refurb, max a replacement.

I seem also to have persuaded the wife that the chassis change would be a good DIY project that we can both do Shocked Thumbs Up What have I done...?! Rolling with laughter
Post #1008426 22nd Sep 2023 8:22am
L110CDL

England 
That is good news that your wife is on board with the chassis change and given the go ahead Wink

Hopefully you can do the chassis change over under cover, the wife will like that Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1008525 22nd Sep 2023 8:20pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Under cover with the wife, what's not to like Rolling Eyes Shocked
Post #1008548 23rd Sep 2023 8:28am
L110CDL

England 
My thoughts exactly Wink Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1008865 25th Sep 2023 9:17pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Four wheels on my wagon - Brake pipes, calipers and guards
Well almost four wheels on my wagon. This evening it was mercifully dry and almost windless. Remarkable thing in these parts.

So, the big thing to conquer was the replacement of the long front to rear chassis brake pipe. A year or so ago I bought a whole vehicle brake pipe kit off eBay. I have previously replaced the rear axle lines and they were both about 100mm too long, this chassis pipe was irritatingly only just the right length. Could have done with about 10mm more length, but it is sitting nicely in the chassis clips and looks lovely and bright on the black chassis and rear axle. Another irritating thing is that there are four front pipes on the 2003 TD5 Defender and not three, so I am going to have to purchase a brake pipe flaring tool... Rolling Eyes

Well you can see the brake pipe I mean, it is a long old thing and check out how thin the pipe has become over the last 1/4 million miles...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In addition to the pipe the drivers side rear caliper and stone guard have now been replaced onto the axle, along with the rear prop-shaft.... So close to being road worthy again.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Oh and with the new 30mm ring spanner the A-framwe ball joint has been tightened and locked in place.

With all the talk previously of replacement chassis parts I have to say that the upper rail was beautifully clear of corrosion. So that is a great thing. Think I have made the right decision regarding keeping this chassis going for as long as possible.

Weather looks atrocious tomorrow, so maybe at the weekend I will be able to do some more. So frustrating when all I want to do is drive the Ol'girl.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1009043 26th Sep 2023 8:16pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Bleeding brake hydraulic system
The weather halted its deluge early this morning, so I went out before work and bled the brakes. All of the calipers have been off this past few months and half of the pipes have been replaced.

Knowing that the system was pretty much completely empty I decided to suck the fluid through initially using the hand vacuum pump and collector. Then once fluid had made its way into the calipers I used the Eezi-bleed one-way valve and using the foot pedal. Spanners were 10mm (Rear) and 11mm (Front).

Click image to enlarge

Hopefully a nice firm pedal, but it will probably require a re-bleed once back on the road. Speaking of which... The wheels can go back on now I think.

I need to top-up the rear axle and transfer box with oil and refit the overdrive linkage, then next parts to replace are the bolt-on parts:

Front and rear ARB's
    Jackable sills
    Wing vent to air intake pipe and RAI
    Front grille and A-bar

I am going to leave off the tow hitch, rear steps and chequer plate for the moment as I want to sort the paintwork out if I can. But she will be back on the road and I cannot wait.

Additional non-important items to sort is the wiring for the front fog and DRLs in the bumper, but that can wait as well.

Then onto the interior. Now the AC has been removed the lower dash needs a little fettling to repair the damage to the fitting of the AC kit did. Nothin major but things like the speak mounting holes are too big for the screws etc... Irritating little issues.
Post #1009224 28th Sep 2023 9:57am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
A bit of lunchtime mischief... Whistle Twisted Evil

After that last post and the arrival of a couple of M12 bolts I couldn't help but fit the QT diff guard and wheels back on to the Ol' Girl...

Be rude not to since it is dry out. So, in the post this morning came a couple of M12x25mm flanged bolts to replace the two that hold the QT diff guard onto the diff housing.

For those that are looking the thread is an M12 with a 1.75 thread pitch.

So out with the tap to clean the threads and on with the diff guard. This guard fixes onto the lowest three nuts and upper two nuts that hold the diff in place, as well as the two M12 bolts into the side of the diff. In short it is not going anywhere.

I love these diff guards and the ones that I have fitted have copped a beating from rocks, logs and the raised middles of rutted tracks. Excellent bit of kit.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And why do I hear you ask am I lying in the dirt on a Thursday lunchtime... well...

Click image to enlarge

I got four wheels on my wagon at last... Thumbs Up

Well I also ran out of Lanoguard, might as well whilst under there, which is a pain. New tub ordered and on its way.

So, Lanoguard have just emailed me a link to save other £5 on their orders, might help some of you out. A fiver off is not to be sniffed at. Martin teal if this contravenes forum rules I apologise, please remove this link.

https://snwbl.io/lanoguard/GUY28305
Post #1009273 28th Sep 2023 3:49pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Front ARB back on this evening…

Step by step…
Post #1009403 29th Sep 2023 6:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 46 of 60 <123 ... 454647 ... 585960>