↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rear end loud bang when pulling away.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Sounds like the adapter shaft between gearbox and transfer case. Quite a few threads on that, with a few aftermarket options to choose to fix it. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1000634 17th Jul 2023 11:21pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Unfortunately it does sound like the output shaft issue.

How many miles have you done as that guides you to the best output shaft replacement. If it’s low miles then it pushes you more to the Ashcroft solution.

I’m afraid it’s going to be a circa £1k - £1.2k job if you get a good independent to do it as you might as well have the clutch replaced at the same time.
Post #1000635 17th Jul 2023 11:24pm
Ronniebee

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Orkney Grey
Mileage is 78k and it’s a 62 plate.
Need to have a ring around today and get it in somewhere.
As to the output shaft, I’m presuming it must have been very worn and me being gentle on the clutch and gear change due to the rear banging it survived until I put the new rear halfshafts in and gave it a bit more wellie.
There’s enough in the Defender rainy day fund to cover it at £1500 I’m just hoping it’s not too much more.
Post #1000636 18th Jul 2023 5:57am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
£1,200 to remove a transfer box and put it back on? I’m in the wrong job!
Post #1000637 18th Jul 2023 6:05am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
It’s a lot less if you don’t do the clutch as well. For instance a lof power spec kit comes in at circa £410 plus the additional labour to remove the gearbox, fit clutch and replace.

So if it’s just for an Ashcroft output shaft it’s circa £360 plus labour to get the transfer box out and replace shaft. I expect in total that would come out at circa £500 all in inc vat.

If you are paying an independent to do the work It’s bit of a dilemma as to whether you change the clutch at the same time. Early 2.4 clutches did not last long, springs and slave cylinders generally being the issue, but the later ones and the 2.2 clutches seem to last a lot longer. So if you want to save some labour costs, avoid another trip to the Indy, and have a fit and forget solution for another circa 100-150 k miles then you can get it done all in one go. If you think the clutch has a lot more miles in it then you just go for the upgraded shaft replacement.
Post #1000674 18th Jul 2023 11:35am
Ronniebee

Great info on this, thank you.
Post #1000681 18th Jul 2023 12:17pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
For the output shaft you have a few options on the market.

1. Replacement Standard shaft with good grease. Cheapest but that’s what’s lasted 78k miles, not bad but not great. Circa £175

2. Ashcroft solution, oil fed coupling, the latest versions have had great reports, should last much longer than 78k miles, probably best if you have a bit of misalignment as you seem to have. But Indy does need to know how to fit correctly to ensure oil tight fit. Circa £360.

3. LOF single piece extreme output shaft, great solution but could pass on misalignment stresses to other components, also clamping force to gearbox is less so could potentially cause issues there. However no reports so far on any of those potential issues arising and several members have fitted and very happy. Circa £355

4. IRB HD Adaptor Shaft Kit. A two piece kit , connects to the gearbox in standard way with same bolt and torque. However the two components are not connected by splines , instead they bolt together to make it like a single piece solution. This is the newest solution, looks good from an engineering point of view but like the LOF solution could pass on misalignment stresses to other components. Circa £396.
Edit- originally stated £296, my typo, should be £396, now corrected.

In your position with failure at 78k miles my head would say Ashcroft, however my heart would push me to IRB.

How comes ? Well Ashcroft treats the symptoms and may last a lifetime, but involves seals so they may need replacement at some point, IRB treats the cause but could pass on misalignment issues to other components, however given you have done 78k miles on the old shaft the misalignment may not be significantly large enough to overly stress other components.

It all depends on how risk averse you are and which risks you are more adverse to.

Last edited by Ianh on 18th Jul 2023 8:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1000727 18th Jul 2023 4:24pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Why do you say IRB treats the cause? None of them aligns the boxes, the most likely root cause of the problem.
Post #1000744 18th Jul 2023 5:50pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
A good point BW, it’s not a perfect use of words. What I mean is a combination of the misalignment and the LR design with splines results in the failure. I.e if LR had designed an output shaft solution that was more tolerant to misalignment then we would not have had this issue or it would have been much reduced.

The Ashcroft solution seems to treat the symptoms of the above by providing good constant lubrication to the splined design, the IRB solution removes one of the components of the cause, the spline element. so in my mind IRB is treating the cause, which as I see it is not one thing (misalignment) , but two things ( misalignment plus the LR output shaft designs inability to cope with misalignment )

However it does have a potential downside as it may pass the failure onto other more expensive components.
Post #1000761 18th Jul 2023 7:18pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thumbs Up
Post #1000765 18th Jul 2023 7:55pm
Ronniebee

Ianh wrote:
For the output shaft you have a few options on the market.

1. Replacement Standard shaft with good grease. Cheapest but that’s what’s lasted 78k miles, not bad but not great. Circa £175

2. Ashcroft solution, oil fed coupling, the latest versions have had great reports, should last much longer than 78k miles, probably best if you have a bit of misalignment as you seem to have. But Indy does need to know how to fit correctly to ensure oil tight fit. Circa £360.

3. LOF single piece extreme output shaft, great solution but could pass on misalignment stresses to other components, also clamping force to gearbox is less so could potentially cause issues there. However no reports so far on any of those potential issues arising and several members have fitted and very happy. Circa £355

4. IRB HD Adaptor Shaft Kit. A two piece kit , connects to the gearbox in standard way with same bolt and torque. However the two components are not connected by splines , instead they bolt together to make it like a single piece solution. This is the newest solution, looks good from an engineering point of view but like the LOF solution could pass on misalignment stresses to other components. Circa £296.

In your position with failure at 78k miles my head would say Ashcroft, however my heart would push me to IRB.

How comes ? Well Ashcroft treats the symptoms and may last a lifetime, but involves seals so they may need replacement at some point, IRB treats the cause but could pass on misalignment issues to other components, however given you have done 78k miles on the old shaft the misalignment may not be significantly large enough to overly stress other components.

It all depends on how risk averse you are and which risks you are more adverse to.

Thanks, I booked it in earlier today and they mentioned the LOF part and I agreed to go with it.
Post #1000768 18th Jul 2023 8:17pm
Ronniebee

Well I picked the 90 up today and it’s job done using the LOF part.
What a difference, no more slack and clonking.
Thanks for all the helpful comments everyone.
Thumbs Up
Post #1001572 24th Jul 2023 5:03pm
lonewolf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Did they show you the original output shaft that they removed? Were the splines shredded?
Post #1001573 24th Jul 2023 5:24pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
If you are happy to share.. what was the labour cost...or labour hrs to do the job ?
Post #1001578 24th Jul 2023 5:57pm
Ronniebee

5.5 hours, the transfer box linkage was included in the repair.
Post #1001582 24th Jul 2023 6:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12