↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Nugget replacement air filter cartridge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've emailed Wesfil directly to see if they can point towards a UK/EU distributor for the WA830 or A1203.

I did find this Mann filter that looks like a possible fit...

https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/air-filter/mann-filter/c-13-103/

I has very similar dimensions (bit fatter) to the Wesfil but no gasket:

Height [mm] : 170
Outer Diameter [mm] : 128
Inner Diameter [mm] : 70

I've also just bought a CA5422 filter from eBay as this is also supposed to be a replacement for the Wesfil WA830. Fingers crossed it will fit! :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354061038679?ep...SwJZpigRTj

This is the actual 'genuine' Nugget filter:

Post #1000824 19th Jul 2023 2:17pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Good luck with those, let us know how you get on, I've added them to my sheet. Given the lack of gasket on that Mann, I don't think it'll be much use unless you go through the faff of taking one form elsewhere and glueing it on, which doesn't appeal to me. Maybe that Fram will come good, but they don't seem to be widely available either.

Click image to enlarge

Question for Blackwolf... Have you tried the Mahle in your airbox and it was a good fit? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1000827 19th Jul 2023 2:51pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Re the Wesfil wa830, if we get one and it marches the nugget stuff one in looks, dimensions and fit in the airbox we could look at a group buy from Wesfil. If say 10 of us wanted 10 or 20 filters each that would reduce costs and shipping significantly and we would each have plenty of stock for many years to come, perhaps all we would ever need.
Post #1000849 19th Jul 2023 5:19pm
Jim_Bean

Good idea. I've emailed Wesfil directly to see how we can buy them in the UK.

Fingers crossed they have a European outlet who might be interested in a group buy Thumbs Up
Post #1000850 19th Jul 2023 5:22pm
Jim_Bean

Genius! Rolling with laughter

Post #1000930 20th Jul 2023 9:06am
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Welcome to Australia.
Post #1000978 20th Jul 2023 1:45pm
Jim_Bean

To the point and completely honest. Can't fault it! Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter
Post #1000983 20th Jul 2023 2:24pm
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Hi Jim-Bean

A bit of a search shows the Wesfil WA830 is available from the following Aussie online retailers who also do international shipping:
sparesbox.com.au
cj-motor.com
Post #1001050 21st Jul 2023 6:02am
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Fram filters are awful I wouldn’t fit one. Metal filings, colaspsed elements, I hate them.
Post #1001129 21st Jul 2023 6:38pm
Bluest

Been doing a bit more pondering and investigating. I ordered a Mahle (knecht) LX830. There are two issues with using one of these, as identified before, but it might be the only commonly available alternative. It is slightly too long and the rubber sealing ring is a much harder rubber. Picture of the height difference here compared with the Nugfet supplied filter:

Click image to enlarge

I have tried the Mahle in my airbox, but bear in mind I have the aluminium lid, not the clear plastic one. It is possible to wind the lid down to seal, so I will probably use it. It does feel like the filter is being compressed more than it should, but I pulled it out afterwards and there was no sign of distortion to the filter or the airbox lid. I hope it doesnt over-stress the rivnuts. I don't think I'd be comfortable doing it with a plastic lid.

On the plus side, the Mahle looks a better quality filter. More pleats and a larger OD would suggest quite a lot more filter area.

I believe the reason why it's so hard to cross reference filters for this application is the unusual way the Nugget airbox clamps the filter. The filter is sandwiched between the top and bottom of the airbox. This design mean the overall length if the filter is critical to the airbox closing properly and sealing. However, these types of filters are not normally secured in that way. They are usually clamped to the sealing face by a long bolt that runs up through the middle of the filter with a wing nut on the end where the small hole is. When secured like this, within reason the overall length of the filter is not that critical and probably explains why the different filter manufacturers are not very consistent on the length. Here's a pic.of the same style of filter in my tractor that shows how they are normally secured.

Click image to enlarge

It probably wouldn't be hard to modify the Nugget box the secure a filter in this way. Its something I might consider 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1002273 30th Jul 2023 12:56pm
Jim_Bean

Thanks for the update - I had the exact same issue with the LX830; it was just too tall.

I don't think the Nugget box is a very good solution unless you live in Australia and can source the correct Wesfil filter.

I haven't been able to find a single filter that fits properly. The Fram filter didn't fit either.

I think i'l have to go back to the crappy OEM air box - just need to find one without cracks/splits and an undamaged lid.
Post #1002372 31st Jul 2023 10:36am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
So how much height difference in mm is it between the Mahle one and the wesfil one ?

If 1 or 2 mm then an additional lid gasket made from 1 or 2 pieces of EDPM roofing rubber ( or other rubber sheet if someone has a better solution) could be made and installed. This should cater for the additional height of the mahle filter and reduce the strain on the rivnuts , and perspex lid of the the Leo deluxe version.

Else we could get a bulk group order of the wesfil filters as I mentioned earlier.
Post #1002381 31st Jul 2023 12:59pm
Bluest

Difference in height is about 5mm 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1002384 31st Jul 2023 1:13pm
Bluest

Jim_Bean wrote:
Thanks for the update - I had the exact same issue with the LX830; it was just too tall.

I don't think the Nugget box is a very good solution unless you live in Australia and can source the correct Wesfil filter.

I haven't been able to find a single filter that fits properly. The Fram filter didn't fit either.

I think i'l have to go back to the crappy OEM air box - just need to find one without cracks/splits and an undamaged lid.

I don’t want to be too harsh on Nugget. It’s a good product. I suspect this issue has occurred inadvertently. They probably used the Wesfil as a template without realising that these types of filters can vary in height between manufacturers. Even Australian users are going to be in trouble if Wesfil were to stop supplying that filter for any reason. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1002390 31st Jul 2023 1:52pm
Jim_Bean

Agreed - that should say, not a good solution in countries where you cannot source the correct filter like the UK.

It either needs to come with a set of various height lid gaskets, as proposed by IanH, or use the central mounting bolt with a taller body to accommodate the various heights, as mentioned by Bluest.

Without access to the right height filter its not a viable solution in the UK.
Post #1002397 31st Jul 2023 2:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>