↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Do you like the DC100?
Do you like the DC100 concept?
Yes
29%
 29%  [53]
No
70%
 70%  [128]
Total Votes: 181

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Stornaway90

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
After speaking to a sales person at the biggest selling Defender dealer in the UK, they too are of the opinion that the so called DC 100 is not the way forward. They also said with a wink "is the DC 100 the vehicle that will finally replace the Defender"
Who knows what will happen, but it would help more I am sure if constructive criticism was posted on the forum as opposed to the simple non intelligent comments like "it looks like another GayLander". This won't help anybody in achieving the goal of replacing one of the most iconic vehicles ever produced, or go anyway to dispelling the belief that Defenders are driven by small men who need a penis extension! Idea Sheep
My own opinion of the DC100 is it does look quite good, with a hint of the outgoing Defender built into it. is it going the way of other manufacturers 4x4's? YES, but we must remember that there are certain constraints on the design engineers, for instance passenger and pedestrian safety (crumple zones). I am not saying that we should have to abide by these rules but we do and that is that, I hope for the sake of the British workers that they do get it right and we can then perhaps be proud to say that we are British and have faith in buying a British built vehicle.
Long live JLR in all forms, and remember everyone is equal. Neutral
One Life LIve It, just how YOU want too. Wink

Last edited by Stornaway90 on 22nd Nov 2011 3:00am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #101474 21st Nov 2011 9:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
i like it, it'll be great.
Post #101475 21st Nov 2011 10:03pm
Setok

Finland 
For constructive advice, I would look to see if there were ways to have user-replaceable panels and similar, like with the Defender. I'm not sure how feasible that is, but that immediately leads to a very simple, utilitarian build, which is part of the appeal. Can you tear it apart and put it back together by hand? If yes, job done!

But beyond that, there are ways to cause an optical illusion of a flatter front. The Wrangler has done that as well as the Patrol (it's not as squarish as you'd think). Don't be afraid of visible screw heads, if it makes maintenance easier. Round lights. Bring back windscreen vents like the Bronco concept seemed to have (OK, I just love them Smile ). Again, the design spec should be "fit for light MOD use".

It's difficult as you'd really need to sit with the designer and comment on a variety of smallish details.

My other option would be to do away with the DC100 completely. Take the existing car, and evolve that up to spec. That probably means widening it a bit, changing the front somewhat, redesigning the interior, smoothening the windscreen mount, looking at the rear for redesign possibilities, possibly change platform. Don't be too afraid of altering the shape, but only as required for functionality and regs.

Sure, a lot of the car would then be altered, but you're starting from a very good point (the existing Defender), and improving on it in every way. I believe that kind of approach will lead to more satisfactory results with an aesthetic that will automatically be reminiscent of what it is replacing, even if also radically evolved.
Post #101478 21st Nov 2011 10:13pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
 Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #101637 22nd Nov 2011 2:33pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
willy eckerslike wrote:

Is this an official press shot or has someone been playing with Photoshop and stuck a DC100 front on a freelander?
Post #101639 22nd Nov 2011 2:46pm
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
dnorrishill wrote:
willy eckerslike wrote:

Is this an official press shot or has someone been playing with Photoshop and stuck a DC100 front on a freelander?

Freelander on steroids ?! Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #101647 22nd Nov 2011 3:09pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I've given Landrover plenty of constructive criticism over the past few weeks via various fora, their own website etc etc, I took time out to help them and have obviously been ignored.
Reading between the lines we can now say almost for certain that they planned from the start to put this thing into production. "Consultation" basically means they will beat us over the head with it until we like it (or, when they hold up four fingers, we say we see five...)
Personally I just want to burn the thing, its so ugly...

On thinking about the current Defender, its so sad that Landrover still has a long way to go to even get that right, back seats have now started rattling away, paint flaking off, cracks in the roof, fog lamp has packed up...the two works Disco 3s I accompanied to Ireland also were apparently plagued with problems, mainly minor electrical issues. One of them wouldn't lock on the key fob this week...

Before Landrover does anything they desperately need to improve build quality. They are all well and good offering the DC100 to the US market, but if they can't even build it properly it will be a flop. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #102464 25th Nov 2011 5:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Embarassed

Well its been a while !

I've been loitering on the D3 website for the past two years as i had a hell of a time with my 90

Whistle

Anyway, i quite like it and i,m really looking forward to getting one !
Its definately different and it seems to have divided many peoples feelings, which is difficult because when people have feelings towards a vehicle be that capability wise, looks, useage then trying to simulate that is never going to happen.

It will be very interesting to watch it metamorphisise into something solid that will last the test of time !

i wonder if they will make this one with a view to it being largely the same after 60 hard Years...................

Fingers crossed "tightly" DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #104082 2nd Dec 2011 6:09pm
chalky

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Argh !

Just looked at my avatar !
There's the old Girl DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #104083 2nd Dec 2011 6:10pm
22900013A

chalky wrote:
Embarassed

Well its been a while !

I've been loitering on the D3 website for the past two years as i had a hell of a time with my 90

Whistle

Anyway, i quite like it and i,m really looking forward to getting one !
Its definately different and it seems to have divided many peoples feelings, which is difficult because when people have feelings towards a vehicle be that capability wise, looks, useage then trying to simulate that is never going to happen.

It will be very interesting to watch it metamorphisise into something solid that will last the test of time !

i wonder if they will make this one with a view to it being largely the same after 60 hard Years...................

Fingers crossed "tightly"

I very much doubt it won't have built-in obsolescence like every other current Landrover, probably they plan to make it for at the most 8-10 years and then replace it with something new. "Business sense" and blind capitalism are all that matters now, so you can rest assured when the opportunity comes to make a few more millions with a new product, they will do it.

And even if it was built to last for ever, I still wouldn't buy such an ugly, ugly car...in fact its so ugly I'll say it a third time. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #104089 2nd Dec 2011 6:24pm
richuk

United Kingdom 
22900013A wrote:

And even if it was built to last for ever, I still wouldn't buy such an ugly, ugly car...in fact its so ugly I'll say it a third time.

So your sitting on the fence then! Whistle Rich

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat
Post #104092 2nd Dec 2011 6:33pm
chalky

richuk wrote:
22900013A wrote:

And even if it was built to last for ever, I still wouldn't buy such an ugly, ugly car...in fact its so ugly I'll say it a third time.

So your sitting on the fence then! Whistle

Rolling with laughter

Well and truly undecided by the sounds of things Whistle DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #104095 2nd Dec 2011 6:37pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
The 'offroad' version shown in LA looks good, apart from the roof rack Laughing

I also like the comments coming from LR that the initial versions shown were too biased towards the lifestyle market and they were now having a rethink.

Bob
Post #105109 6th Dec 2011 7:41pm
22900013A

bob neville wrote:

I also like the comments coming from LR that the initial versions shown were too biased towards the lifestyle market and they were now having a rethink.

Bob

Hopefully a very, very long rethink.

Another slightly unrelated point popped into my head the other day - the new 2.2 engine is euro 5 until 2015 right, but they said the proper landrover will stay in production until at least 2017...I wonder what will be under the bonnet?

By the way, did I mention I think the DC100 is ugly? 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #105111 6th Dec 2011 7:48pm
chalky

bob neville wrote:

Bob

Thats very interesting Bob,

i found myself speaking to a CEO of a large European car manufacturer yesterday in the course of my day job and he commented upon my choice of vehicle, "ITS A D3 NOT A DEFENDER ANYMORE"

He asked about brand loyalty and also about reliability, he stated that he had been competing with "Rice Burners" all his working career and hated them with a passion ! he has a collection of 25 Jaguars both brand new and old and some rather ageing Series LR's

He commented upon LR's new owners and said that they are doing grat things, he made comment on the newest RR and the Evoque and was very up beat about the brand, the thing that i found most interesting was the phrase he used,

"Land Rover have got it spot on ! beacause for them its not just about selling vehicles they are also selling a way of life, and people will buy luxury brands because it fits in with their Lifestyle"

Which kind of re-iterates the above from bob, and maybe just maybe they havent accounted for the Green Ovals most addicted LIFESTYLE Addicts.

And after all, to get the Surfers and MTB'ers away from VW Vans and Mercedes Sprinters they have got their work cut out ? DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #105770 9th Dec 2011 12:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>