↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Do you like the DC100?
Do you like the DC100 concept?
Yes
29%
 29%  [53]
No
70%
 70%  [128]
Total Votes: 181

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
ken

United Kingdom 
And that is the problem The Defender does not sell enough units to survive, so this new thing will embrace a new audience that will buy it hopefully in the correct numbers however in some cases the replacement will not float all boats
Post #131544 15th Mar 2012 12:16pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Wonder if the "D" in DC100 should stand for Discovery, because it strikes me its more like a short wheelbase Disco - even using an adapted chassis from a Disco by all accounts.
Post #131581 15th Mar 2012 2:54pm
Chauch

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I am not a fan at all, it just looks like a big Kia Soul to me, and I think I prefer the Kia!
Post #131763 16th Mar 2012 7:34am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
ken wrote:
And that is the problem The Defender does not sell enough units to survive, so this new thing will embrace a new audience that will buy it hopefully in the correct numbers however in some cases the replacement will not float all boats

But that goes back to the points that a) landrover does not build enough to fulfill demand (dealer quotas etc) and b) they do not build them properly. Transforming the Defender into a car is not the answer, cutting waiting lists and rubbish build quality is, does anyone here have a newish Defender that hasn't undergone warranty work?

A good shake-up of the dealer network wouldn't go amiss either judging by the "dealer feedback" section.
Post #131769 16th Mar 2012 7:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
No idea about numbers sold or anything but as a Land Rover enthusiast of some 20 years now, I have definitely noticed an increase in the number of newer Defenders on the road over the last few years. Not only that, but there seems to have been a definite increase in the number of new / newish Defenders around and about with special body mods for various work related tasks - tree surgeons, gardeners/landscapers, etc, Not just yer standard hi-caps but the whole back body re-done to suit. Around us I've seen a 'box van' type back bodied ones, a couple with 'builder's' type load spaces, 5th wheelers, a couple with log cutter/splitting machinery mods, drop siders, etc, etc. These days it seems to be more than just farmers and the military - the Land Rover seems to be making ground in new areas of business.

Can't see how the DC100 could be adapted / modded like that and take up the same market.....
Post #131801 16th Mar 2012 10:24am
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
22900013A wrote:
But that goes back to the points that a) landrover does not build enough to fulfill demand (dealer quotas etc) and b) they do not build them properly. Transforming the Defender into a car is not the answer, cutting waiting lists and rubbish build quality is, does anyone here have a newish Defender that hasn't undergone warranty work?

Absolutely correct. How much better would an updated/better quality Defender sell? One that the intercooler pipe doesn't blow off on the motorway in the first week (small problem but underlines the fact LR are Censored at building cars). One that doesn't need Zag to come round and use the leak finding guide to sort out wet carpets.

My two previous cars, D3 HSE's, were fantastic cars - truly fantastic. However, they were the least reliable cars I have owned since i used to run 200 quid run it and scrap it cars. Add in to that poor parts availability (my D3 problems meant I was without the car for double figures of weeks while they found commonly failing parts like a steering rack or suspension compressor. Knackered electronic parking brake whenever it got a dunk in mucky water. Xenon headlamps that stick on main beam. So why did I buy two? Because the basic usability design is top drawer and desirability similarly high.

As a die hard LR enthusiast I struggle to be without one but LR need to build them right.

What I was hoping for was a Defender that looks like a Defender (it can be done, Jeep Wrangler, Mini, Fiat 500, Beetle, Porker 911 all have, to a lesser or greater level of success, visible DNA from their first edition counterparts yet are thoroughly modern vehicles), that uses LR's class leading technology (engines, Terrain Response, etc.) that has been simplified for rugged use (who needs a fancy motor to put the handbrake on for them?). What we are getting is some tart's handbag designed by the MGF and Evoque stylist, with some subtle styling cues back to 1948 (though I can't spot any) and little else. It is a Discovery Sport. I think it will sell by the truck-load, my mate who has just ordered an Evoque loves it, but it won't replace the iconic Defender.

C 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #131837 16th Mar 2012 1:12pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
I guess you could in theory make a new Defender that looks almost identical to the current one but with the newer production techniques and materials used elsewhere in the range to ensure proper panel fit and a more robust overall shell. However the basic beam axle design probably couldn't be improved enough to justify the new body so the costs would be prohibitive.

I do like the DC100 a lot but agree it is not a Defender replacement but more a new model in the range. Andy
Post #131839 16th Mar 2012 1:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
LR really do think they have a winner, I don't get it...

http://www.insideline.com/land-rover/defen...eller.html
Post #131956 16th Mar 2012 9:08pm
22900013A

dnorrishill wrote:
LR really do think they have a winner, I don't get it...

http://www.insideline.com/land-rover/defen...eller.html

Sadly its the way these days - get some designer to come up with something flash, invest (a bit) in it, get the public reaction and realise its nots a goer, but its too far down the line to admit the mistake.

One of two things will happen here, either the DC100 will be built pretty much as-is, and finally drive home the wedge between landrover and its core fan base (which I think is a pretty serious issue) or they will do a lot more work on the Dc100 and evolve it into something appropriate. I'm still worried about the comments regarding the leisure market - such things are rapidly changeable and who knows what the punters will want in a few years time, it would only need an oil shortage or another recession to kill off any demand for lesiure vehicles that may exist now.

Although I would no longer be a part of the Landrover family, having been shown the door it seems, I wish them all the best whichever way they choose to go.

Thinking about it, in a nutshell thats what annoys me the most, that my views, and those of countless others, are just discounted and even laughed at by Landrover bigwigs, as though they don't even want my money. I would have thought one day I would have bought a Defender for my kids (if I have any) now that won't happen. At least we still have a few years to save up for the 90... Laughing
Post #131962 16th Mar 2012 9:22pm
mikelike

Land Rover is repositioning that horrible DC100 Freelander thing into a enouther market segment . As for making previous comments about evolving the design over time , this appears not to be happening . The 110 and Defender were always competition to the Landcruiser , not the Hi Lux , so it looks to me this is there final design, but where the hell are the work variants , not the Hairdresser model ???????????????????????????????????
Post #132147 17th Mar 2012 8:07pm
22900013A

I was looking through an old, old copy of LRW today, from the time of Landrovers 50th anniversary and not long after the Freelander had come out. Inside was a big long interview with Gerry McGovern, who then still had his 80s footballer hairstyle by the way. All I can say is times have sure changed in that guys head...you wouldn't have thought he would go on to do the DC100 after reading it.
Post #132153 17th Mar 2012 8:29pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hang on, someone has just voted they like it Shocked On a Defender forum Rolling with laughter

OK, who likes Babycham around here, own up Laughing
Post #132177 17th Mar 2012 10:12pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I'll probably try and keep my Defender as long as possible, however if I begin to struggle with the balsa wood clutch and gearbox I may well have a change of brand.

Having travelled extensivley in Namibia (and I though I'd never say this) but the new Toyota Hilux 3.0 Auto was the car to have. Comfortable, dust and waterproof, leather seats, auto gearbox and a decent reputation for reliability, 5 year warranty, dealerships all over Africa, Australia etc

Ok, the Toyota doesn't have to class, style, heratige of the Defender, but neither does the Skoda Yeti DC100 special edition. I like Defender people, they are generally outdoorsy, happy to say hello, stop and help etc. the market that the DC100 is aimed at will be a bit of a cheap evoque, hairdressers, tanning parlour owners. For example, I currently have a Disco 4, a nice car and the wife likes it, however for me it's a bit poncy. I also like the Range Rover Sport, however I would never ever want to own one because of the general type of people I'd be associated with, footballers, drug dealers, Jordan.

Anyway rant over, won't change anything. Rolling with laughter
Post #132225 18th Mar 2012 6:39am
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
I couldnt really care a hoot about the Judge Dreadesque DC100, not that I dislike it, its just another generic fashion vehicle. I speed read that link above and LR are reckoning on a 20yr lifespan - I cant see it myself, just looks like another here today gone tomorrow car that will cease to become iconic or particularly favourable to sectors wishing to purchase a rugged utility truck.

Perhaps LRs decision to try and expand in the leisure market and dwindle from their roots and heritage are seen as the best way for their business to continue production who knows?

I know what happened when Piaggio ceased production of their legendary Vespa PX scooter in favour of producing a retrostyled scooter akin to the new mini/beetle concept - their previously licensed manufacturer in India called LML started selling their PX styled scooter worldwide and took a massive chunk of Piaggio's expected scooter sales - a few years down the line Piaggio have started to remanufacture and redevelop the PX. Could this situation every happen with LR? surely a revamped Defender based on the original design could be done, or am I missing the point? is this what the DC100 is suppposed to be Laughing 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #132236 18th Mar 2012 8:08am
Setok

Finland 
chiefstoker wrote:

Perhaps LRs decision to try and expand in the leisure market and dwindle from their roots and heritage are seen as the best way for their business to continue production who knows?

I'm sure that's the reasoning. However, as you noted with your Vespa example, this can easily be a major wrong step. Many manufacturers have kept their key icons close at heart, as they are so visible champions for the brand. Constantly updating them, for sure, but always recognisable. The DC100 is not recognisable as a Defender, which is its core problem.

I'm not even sure if it's trying to be the same thing. A hard-working, tough and basic workhorse of a vehicle.
Post #132293 18th Mar 2012 12:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>