↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > SCOOP - New Defender DC100
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 33 <123 ... 101112 ... 313233>
Print this entire topic · 
mrtod

United Kingdom 
This is the bit I really don't get...Why does the new Land Rover Defender need to pick up styling cues from the Range Rover product line up.

When BMW designed the new Mini they didn't say we have an icon but it would look a lot better if had a BMW grille. VW didn't say that the Bently or that the Beetle would look better if they had a look of Golf about them.

Land Rover have their very own icon. The new Defender should obviously be just that... instantly recognisable as a Defender.

Yes it needs to be new, ergonomic, pedestrian safe, economic to manufacture etc, etc....but non of that precludes it from being a defender...

The Wrangler JK looks like a Jeep. Park an early 911 next to a new one and there would be no difficulty in recognising the lineage.

So why do Land Rover want to turn their very own icon into a bargain basement Range Rover/Discovery? http://projectd90.blogspot.com/ - a work in progress.
Post #87109 1st Sep 2011 10:48pm
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
pom wrote:
i can just see farmer giles with a couple of sheep in the back of one then climbing into the cab with his $hitty wellies!

Looks to me like dumb spice had some input as she did with the gaylander3/evoque.

Pom

If i read that incorrectly then you accuse me of beastiality and you are guilty of dogging? Wink

land rover owners are special Thumbs Up

ps if i wrap a piece of carpet around my front bumper it becomes pedestrian friendly and compliant. Land rover i have sorted your design woes Razz
Post #87136 2nd Sep 2011 8:19am
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
DG wrote:
Let the record show my forecast:

A year after production of the final incarnation of the DC100 there will be a whole new band of LR followers exulting the joys of the fantastic, go anywhere, practical and comfortable defender replacement. With them there will be many old Defender and LR supporters who might have been sceptical but will have been converted ......and for them the old defender will be long forgotten.

...the remainder of the die hard Defender types will be scratching their beards and pulling their woolly underpants out of the crack of their hairy ass saying ..." it's crap Rolling Eyes ..it ain't like the old days Rolling Eyes ...there's too many electric's Rolling Eyes ..... oh look it's stuck Rolling Eyes ...the old defender would never have done that Rolling Eyes " .........In truth, nobody else, including LR, will give a flying feck what they think .

Anyone want to place their bets ? Whistle Wink

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Well said Thumbs Up
Post #87151 2nd Sep 2011 9:49am
IKke

Netherlands 1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #87177 2nd Sep 2011 11:54am
mrtod

United Kingdom 
DG wrote:
Let the record show my forecast:

A year after production of the final incarnation of the DC100 there will be a whole new band of LR followers exulting the joys of the fantastic, go anywhere, practical and comfortable defender replacement. With them there will be many old Defender and LR supporters who might have been sceptical but will have been converted ......and for them the old defender will be long forgotten.

...the remainder of the die hard Defender types will be scratching their beards and pulling their woolly underpants out of the crack of their hairy ass saying ..." it's crap Rolling Eyes ..it ain't like the old days Rolling Eyes ...there's too many electric's Rolling Eyes ..... oh look it's stuck Rolling Eyes ...the old defender would never have done that Rolling Eyes " .........In truth, nobody else, including LR, will give a flying feck what they think .

Anyone want to place their bets ? Whistle Wink

I'm sure they said that at the unveiling of the P38 Range Rover too. Whistle http://projectd90.blogspot.com/ - a work in progress.
Post #87180 2nd Sep 2011 12:17pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
mrtod wrote:

I'm sure they said that at the unveiling of the P38 Range Rover too. Whistle

Just as 'they' did when the 90 and then 110 were introduced. Bit like the old chap who bought a car off me a few months ago who turned up in a 109 pulling a transporter trailer - "I ain't bought a Land Rover since they got all silly and put the headlamps in the wings and shoved plastic dashboards in 'em" Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #87187 2nd Sep 2011 1:15pm
Siberianfox

United Kingdom 
The Kahn version of the defender. SGT Kahn wtf Rolling with laughter

Dont shoot the messenger !

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Nipped over from RRSport.
Post #87204 2nd Sep 2011 2:45pm
Setok

Finland 
Miserableolgit wrote:
mrtod wrote:

Just as 'they' did when the 90 and then 110 were introduced. Bit like the old chap who bought a car off me a few months ago who turned up in a 109 pulling a transporter trailer - "I ain't bought a Land Rover since they got all silly and put the headlamps in the wings and shoved plastic dashboards in 'em"

People will always complain. Actually I'm still not that happy about losing galvanised cappings. However it's very obvious that 90s and 110s were direct descendants of the Series vehicles. A lot had been updated, but the look was still very closely related to the previous ones, the same self-maintenance mentality was there, you still got the windscreen flaps, and several components were compatible.

I don't think the D100 compares at all. If you showed a random person a picture of it, would they call it a Defender? Nope.
Post #87206 2nd Sep 2011 2:53pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
tatra805 wrote:

That's nearer the mark Very Happy
Post #87208 2nd Sep 2011 3:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Zagato wrote:
tatra805 wrote:

That's nearer the mark Very Happy

I think thats a slightly shopped pic of the Ford Bronco concept. Shows who has been paying attention (Ford) and who hasn't (Landrover) eh? 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #87215 2nd Sep 2011 3:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
...because everybody gives a graphic opinion, here it's mine ... Whistle

Although this would not be my aproach, here it goes ...higher bonnet, straight back, vertical windshield, vertical door line to bottom sills, lower spare wheel ...

Click image to enlarge

Mr. Green Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #87239 2nd Sep 2011 5:42pm
Morea

Post #87240 2nd Sep 2011 6:00pm
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
Will Smith's Nanny cube Rolling with laughter Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #87242 2nd Sep 2011 6:04pm
mrtod

United Kingdom 
Miserableolgit wrote:
mrtod wrote:

Just as 'they' did when the 90 and then 110 were introduced. Bit like the old chap who bought a car off me a few months ago who turned up in a 109 pulling a transporter trailer - "I ain't bought a Land Rover since they got all silly and put the headlamps in the wings and shoved plastic dashboards in 'em"

A bit like...erm, for me at least, no.

Land Rover eventually saw the error of their ways, retired the uninspired metro cab clone and replaced it with the L322. Which, I personally loved the minute it came out (as I do the Evoque). I saw the L322 as wonderfully modern, instantly recognisable, reinterpretation of a classic.

I have been really looking forward to the new defender but I for one just feel that this is an uninspired effort. http://projectd90.blogspot.com/ - a work in progress.
Post #87244 2nd Sep 2011 6:24pm
bjoern h

Norway 1992 Defender 110 200 Tdi CSW Rutland Red
.. proper wheels ... Wink

Post #87246 2nd Sep 2011 6:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 33 <123 ... 101112 ... 313233>