markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Do tell Andy

Oh the suspense - is it 2015 yet Laughing

Mark
Post #93906 12th Oct 2011 7:12pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
The bulk of the current Land Rover Defender range is likely to continue in production until 2017 or later — and that will be at least two years after the launch of the all-new Defender replacement in 2015.

The long-wheelbase 110 and commercial 130 versions of the Land Rover Defender are likely to be beneficiaries, staying in production well after the arrival of the new short-wheelbase Defender, previewed at the Frankfurt show as the DC100 concept.

“There are a number of changes to the legislation that mean we can keep the current Defender in production longer than we thought,” said a Land Rover source.

The first is the ability of the new 2.2-litre diesel engine to meet EU6 standards — the tough next step in emissions regulations that will align diesel engine pollutants with those of petrols in 2015/16.

There is also a suggestion that the Defender might not have to comply with EU6 until a later date. A few years ago the Defender was reclassified as a commercial vehicle, which might help.

Pedestrian impact laws were due to pull down the shutters on the Defender in 2015, but Land Rover now understands that a ‘derogation’ — exemption from the law — might apply until 2020.

Source: Current Defender to live on to 2017 - Autocar.co.uk

Which somewhat confirms what the workshop manager from the local LR stealership told me a few days ago. While on a course in Pretoria, the LRUK rep told them how shocked HQ was at the negative feedback from the Defender/LR community. They indicated that the current form would continue on, possibly built in SA or India. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #95144 20th Oct 2011 8:22am
Setok

Finland 
Naks wrote:

Which somewhat confirms what the workshop manager from the local LR stealership told me a few days ago. While on a course in Pretoria, the LRUK rep told them how shocked HQ was at the negative feedback from the Defender/LR community. They indicated that the current form would continue on, possibly built in SA or India.

I hope it does. However, what I don't want is for it to stagnate. It should be under continuous evolution, to make it better and better.
Post #95191 20th Oct 2011 12:28pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Local dealer told me the DC100 is controversial on purpose to upset the current Defender community. So when they tone it down, potential new owners will be happier with it.

Sounds bizarre but could be true?! Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #95200 20th Oct 2011 1:12pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Naks wrote:

Which somewhat confirms what the workshop manager from the local LR stealership told me a few days ago. While on a course in Pretoria, the LRUK rep told them how shocked HQ was at the negative feedback from the Defender/LR community. They indicated that the current form would continue on, possibly built in SA or India.

Very brave. LR are quite switched on when it comes to marketing and social media but that would be a bold move indeed. Nice to know they're listening though, either way. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #95507 21st Oct 2011 9:22pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
&feature=player_embedded#! NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #95695 22nd Oct 2011 10:53pm
fishrider

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Keswick Green
I was just thinking about how land Rover has talked about diminished defender sales figures. It's hardly surprising as the cars's been neglected in my view for a long time.

The brochure is wafer thin because there's no real options to choose from. They might think that it's not worth adding options like a choice of transmission and engine because they don't sell many. My thinking is that's exactly why they don't sell many.

It's not the most enticing purchase especially if you want a defender station wagon and you see the price of a discovery is just a few grand more..how do they get the 30,000 + price tag ? What other car can you buy for that price yet have to soundproof yourself Smile or not even having proper door seals.

In fact the more I think about it the more confused I get 110 HT TD5 - 110 XS SW Puma
Post #97031 29th Oct 2011 11:16pm
Setok

Finland 
I agree that Land Rover really has been neglecting the Defender. A while back I suggested they should sell the Defender off to some other company, which would have the motivation and desire to properly promote it (a bit like Lotus selling the 7 to Caterham).

If you look at most of the sales material from Land Rover, the Defender is always somewhere in the background in a kind of "by the way" fashion. Totally unlike Jeep, which is always very proud to show off the Wrangler, even when they are selling another product. I think they understand the importance of that halo effect.

A friend just purchased a new Freelander. We've done a couple of sessions of LRE in Defenders and equivalent. He knows how super they are offroad. He'd never buy one, but I know for a fact that it was a big factor in his choice. He likes the idea of having a bit of offroad capability and that link helps.
Post #97061 30th Oct 2011 10:19am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
fishrider wrote:
I was just thinking about how land Rover has talked about diminished defender sales figures. It's hardly surprising as the cars's been neglected in my view for a long time.

The brochure is wafer thin because there's no real options to choose from. They might think that it's not worth adding options like a choice of transmission and engine because they don't sell many. My thinking is that's exactly why they don't sell many.

It's not the most enticing purchase especially if you want a defender station wagon and you see the price of a discovery is just a few grand more..how do they get the 30,000 + price tag ? What other car can you buy for that price yet have to soundproof yourself Smile or not even having proper door seals.

In fact the more I think about it the more confused I get

Very true. Old brochures used to show all the different engines etc, and had loads of options. Now the utility models are played down (I remember old brochured with hardtop 110s brown with mud) and only show station wagons in metallic paint with alloys. A choice of engines is a must have, with a range of performance options, as you find in, well, virtually every other vehicle out there. Am I right that even the Transit has a few different engine and transmission options to choose from?

Even the Puma dash is a bit lacking, when driving, my left hand gets nice and hot or cool as required, my right hand gets nothing...its little oversights like that that really let the vehicle down, as we all know with a few little tweaks it could be really good. An auto option is long overdue as well, they offered them in the US IIRC so why not here as well? Can't be that hard to do? Is there an auto Transit? 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #97066 30th Oct 2011 10:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fishrider

It's true though isn't it .

On the flip side of the coin they don't sell many to the leisure market either cause they're just not fun enough to drive with the current diesel engines in them.
There's plenty of people that'd buy one if they had a bit more poke and were a "bit" quieter and had better audio systems. People love the defender.

I think that it's caught them off guard and surprised them from all the feedback..like off course why didn't we do this years ago *kicks self 110 HT TD5 - 110 XS SW Puma
Post #97163 30th Oct 2011 8:01pm
pcoote

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
fishrider wrote:
It's true though isn't it .

On the flip side of the coin they don't sell many to the leisure market either cause they're just not fun enough to drive with the current diesel engines in them.
There's plenty of people that'd buy one if they had a bit more poke and were a "bit" quieter and had better audio systems. People love the defender.

I think that it's caught them off guard and surprised them from all the feedback..like off course why didn't we do this years ago *kicks self

I for one don't want a 'quieter' Defender, I find the puma too car like. I'm relatively new to Defenders, I will never forget the excitement of driving the TD5 for the first time, it was nothing like a 'normal' car, more like a tractor, fantastic. If you want good pokey car manors go elsewhere, don't ruin 'our thing'.
Post #97168 30th Oct 2011 8:27pm
fishrider

You say your relatively new to defenders and then say it's our thing ?

I'm a third generation land Rover driver driver in my family. Grew up on a farm and had them all inc series , 90/110 , 200tdi /300tdi / V8 county , defender TD5 and Puma .

My main car is a defender and i've driven them all over the world.

That's fair enough you like the agricultural / utility vibe of the car . All I'm saying is why not have a choice ? If there was a choice they would be selling more than they do now and replacing it with a dc100 wouldn't even be on the radar. 110 HT TD5 - 110 XS SW Puma
Post #97173 30th Oct 2011 8:47pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Let's hope the final edition is a 90 soft-top with a RR V8 under the bonnet and a nice auto.
Post #97174 30th Oct 2011 8:50pm
pcoote

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
fishrider wrote:
You say your relatively new to defenders and then say it's our thing ?

I'm a third generation land Rover driver driver in my family. Grew up on a farm and had them all inc series , 90/110 , 200tdi /300tdi / V8 county , defender TD5 and Puma .

My main car is a defender and i've driven them all over the world.

That's fair enough you like the agricultural / utility vibe of the car . All I'm saying is why not have a choice ? If there was a choice they would be selling more than they do now and replacing it with a dc100 wouldn't even be on the radar.

Respect Fishrider, you are born and bred on the Defender. I don't want to have a go at you in particular, but I get frustrated with people on here who basically want a BMW X5 clone and don't seem to understand that it's not about refinement and look at me on the dance floor good looks. I'm defo not accusing you of this, you just hit a nerve. I would like Landrover to understand what they have before they themselves start dissing it (so I agree they've neglected the brand), I don't think they are even listening though.
Post #97186 30th Oct 2011 9:22pm
fishrider

I didn't mean to blow my trumpet Wink

I totally agree with you the defender is a tool at the end of the day. I neither want it to turn into an X5. My point was just that they need the "gin and jag" set to buy them too to keep it viable in the long run.

Those people won't buy them in their current configuration hence..DC100 concept.

It's a shame. If there was a big 3.0 TDV6 on offer I bet a few of us on here would scrimp and save to get one too lol

I used to have a V8 defender was awesome Thumbs Up 110 HT TD5 - 110 XS SW Puma
Post #97200 30th Oct 2011 9:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 31 of 33 <123 ... 30 313233>