↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Springs here, what a shock!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Springs here, what a shock!

Click image to enlarge

Collected this full set of new, take-off, springs and shocks this morning and I'm rather chuffed. I know that all of the recent chatter is about lowered springs or comfort springs or remote reservoir shocks, but I'm quite excited to have this completely standard set up for my 90 Smile

Just need to buy some new mounting hardware from Gwyn Lewis to fit them with. Not sure if I'll do it myself or pay somebody else yet. That's very much time and weather dependant! Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 23rd Oct 2017 2:06pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #657386 15th Oct 2017 11:51am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Well done that man Thumbs Up
Post #657387 15th Oct 2017 12:02pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'm assuming that's for your 90? If so, I'd seriously consider genuine castellated spring isolators top and bottom all around. Highly recommend them Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #657388 15th Oct 2017 12:03pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
id be poly bushing that lot before you put it on Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #657397 15th Oct 2017 12:58pm
LandRoverAnorak

No, I'll be sticking with OE bushes, and for the rest of the suspension in due course.

custom90steve wrote:
I'm assuming that's for your 90? If so, I'd seriously consider genuine castellated spring isolators top and bottom all around. Highly recommend them

Yeah, I've got that in mind. Top only though and I'm going to use Disco II ones on the front:

Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #657415 15th Oct 2017 2:58pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Not wanting to spoil your happiness in any way, but I seem to recall reading on here somewhere that colour combination on the springs denotes HD rears - if so, just thought I would mention Thumbs Up Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #657418 15th Oct 2017 3:44pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
No, I'll be sticking with OE bushes, and for the rest of the suspension in due course.

custom90steve wrote:
I'm assuming that's for your 90? If so, I'd seriously consider genuine castellated spring isolators top and bottom all around. Highly recommend them

Yeah, I've got that in mind. Top only though and I'm going to use Disco II ones on the front:

what do they do? 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #657426 15th Oct 2017 4:33pm
LandRoverAnorak

CarMan wrote:
Not wanting to spoil your happiness in any way, but I seem to recall reading on here somewhere that colour combination on the springs denotes HD rears - if so, just thought I would mention Thumbs Up

That's ok, I know the spec. of the springs. The whole lot was such a bargain that if I find that I do need to change the rears then it's no big deal. They came off an Adventurer model and I was surprised to find that Land Rover had abandoned their usual practice of fitting handed springs. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 16th Oct 2017 11:09am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #657439 15th Oct 2017 6:10pm
LandRoverAnorak

gazman wrote:
what do they do?

Essentially, the same as Disco 1 isolators but they have built in securing rings and rubber cones to help with locating them in the top of the springs Darren

Post #657441 15th Oct 2017 6:19pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Do the isolators also cut down on metal to metal contact between the springs and the spring seats and in some way make for a better ride? I have never had them on any of my previous Defenders but was thinking of some for the 90 V8.

Any thoughts from those who have them fitted?
Post #657554 16th Oct 2017 10:58am
LandRoverAnorak

They were introduced on the Disco 1 and, as far as I know, have never been fitted as standard to Defenders. Their purpose, as the name suggests, is to isolate metal to metal contact between the suspension and the chassis to improve refinement (everything is relative, of course Laughing ) rather than ride quality. Darren

Post #657555 16th Oct 2017 11:06am
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I fitted isolators top and bottom, but in conjunction with Alive comfort springs (mainly to get a little bit of ride height back). So I can't tell the difference of the isolators on their own, however the combination resulted in a significant improvement in vibration and rattling in the cabin. Most notable when going over railway crossings and rumble strips. I suspect the progressive springs have a good deal to do with this, with the softer part of the spring responding more readily to small bumps, but the isolators are probably also helping to some extent. I would definitely use them again. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #657576 16th Oct 2017 1:13pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^ Is this something we suspension 'upgraders' looking to do full Bilstein/Eibach/ProBush swaps should be considering? If so what should we be looking for and from where? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #657580 16th Oct 2017 1:38pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
I fitted the rubbery isolators front and back, mainly to not lose too much height and they do dampen/suppress the vibrations as well and for not a lot of pennies Thumbs Up 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #657637 16th Oct 2017 5:36pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello LandRoverAnorak / Grenadier

90 Springs...
Interesting... Shocked When I was preparing my 90 (MY2011) for its Dinitrol Treatment I was expecting to find Handed Springs fitted, referring to my Chart...but when I look back at my Photos I'm fairly sure I have matching Fronts and matching Rears...like your replacement Springs...

Click image to enlarge

Do you know (or anyone know) when LR introduced this 'value engineering' (reduced stock option)... Question

Spring Isolators...
I fitted 8 to mine early this year, so Top and Bottom of each Spring, they have never been Fitted as Standard to Defenders...I did this to further help reduce general noise and vibration, after fitting some sound deadening material and also to lift the Vehicle by around 20mm.

I was told that Isolators have been fitted to the Tops of the Rear Springs of various Discovery Models and are designed to minimise the transmission of road, suspension, drive train vibration and noise to the vehicle's cabin.

This isolator can also be used as a spring 'shim' to level out a 'drunk' vehicle, or to raise a vehicle....they are approximately 10mm thick.

The LR Part Number is ANR2938... just a word of 'advice' passed on to me, by my trusted Independent... be careful of buying in 'too cheap' as these are knocked out (some where) with what looks to be any old recycled rubber topping that my Indi' has seen 'break up' and need replacing (or removing all together).

You can source these on-line for around 2 each...so 'no-money' really...mid range is around 4.50 (+ VAT)
LR is 9.85 (+ VAT) or it was when I got mine from LR with a bit a 'frequent offender' discount then applied.
As this is not an insignificant job to do I thought I'd put the genuine product in first time.

End Result...to be realistic isn't that you are suddenly driving down the road in a Range Rover (or even Discovery) but there is a 'softening out', and I would say reduction in transmitted 'ride and road' noises.

So all good... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #657639 16th Oct 2017 5:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>