↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Springs here, what a shock!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
nitram17

Hi skip how do those fit at the bottom end of the front springs?
Post #657643 16th Oct 2017 6:04pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello nitram17

The Front and Rear Springs on a 90 are basically the same dimensions and the Isolators fit nicely... both ends.

The Metal 'Collar' (seen on the left below) fits within the Spring Diameter and the Rubber Isolator Top (on right)
fits into the profile of the existing Springs 'Mounts'... in all locations.

'Quality' Manufactured LR Isolators...

Click image to enlarge

Front 90 Isolators Top and Bottom...

Click image to enlarge

Obviously by fitting both Top and Bottom you get the maximum effect these can achieve. SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #657747 16th Oct 2017 9:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ This is exactly what I have fitted on mine. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #657764 16th Oct 2017 10:16pm
nitram17

X4SKP wrote:
Hello nitram17

The Front and Rear Springs on a 90 are basically the same dimensions and the Isolators fit nicely... both ends.

The Metal 'Collar' (seen on the left below) fits within the Spring Diameter and the Rubber Isolator Top (on right)
fits into the profile of the existing Springs 'Mounts'... in all locations.

'Quality' Manufactured LR Isolators...

Click image to enlarge

Front 90 Isolators Top and Bottom...

Click image to enlarge

Obviously by fitting both Top and Bottom you get the maximum effect these can achieve.

Thanks skip thats very clear..i couldnt see the lip on the photos i had ....i intend to fit the alive comfort springs,but i also intend to try and get the height back by using a mix of the above isolators and probably these ...............

at the front and these https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product-categor...g-spacers/

it might be a bit of trial and error as there apears to be no definitive answer to the drop in height from the alive springs and the thickness of both of the isolators mentioned aboved!

martin
Post #657769 16th Oct 2017 10:45pm
X4SKP

Hello nitram17

Yes that combination should do it... Thumbs Up

I fitted the Isolators all round to mine, and then went back under the Rear and fitted 1Inch Spring Spacers from Gwyn Lewis. These too worked fine with the Isolators.

I did this because the Rear of my Defender when Loaded or Towing our Caravan (with a 75KG Nose Weight) and also Fully Loaded in the Rear, just sat a touch too low for me, I wanted it near enough level when loaded and was prepared to have a slightly lifted 'stance' to the Rear under normal conditions, although now fitted it is difficult to detect, but it does 'hold up' better when 'set to work'.

Gwyn Lewis Spacers
Good Value, but what I really liked about these is that they look and feel 'substantial', they are probably made in small batches, and not in sufficient quantity to be jig welded (but I don't know for sure) but who ever welded the two piece construction together knows how to weld...very nicely done... Smile. The whole piece is then Galvanised so whilst these will disappear under Dinitrol in due course, they will be happy enough as they are for some time.

You will (ideally) need longer Securing Bolts (and some spacers) to reused the same bottom Spring 'Clamp Bar' (just visible in the photo...facing forward) I think the Bolts are provided, but I swapped these out for Stainless Steel, (which has become an additional step as I work my way through various jobs).

Springs Out... and back In
I don't mean to tell you how to do this, but I did mine without a Spring Compressor Tool. The Rear Springs are possible to get off uncompressed and to reassemble, including Isolators Top and Bottom so +20mm overall longer, all by just articulating the Rear Axle. The Fronts I did Compress the Springs (by lifting the Front Axle) but I then Strapped the Compressed Spring with two old Luggage Straps (with metal friction grips)...(I have photos of this if your interested).

Anyway all good and I'm much happier with both the slightly improved ride characteristics (sound attenuation) and the +20mm Lift at the Front, and around 45mm Lift at the Rear.

Rear 90

Click image to enlarge

1Inch Spacer

Luggage / Tie Straps (Compressed Spring Ties)

Good Luck... SKIP
Post #657863 17th Oct 2017 1:47pm
nitram17

Springs
Hi skip thanks for the info .......some photos would be a great help as I never trust spring compressors.. Martin
Post #657893 17th Oct 2017 4:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You definitely don't need any spring compressors.
Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #657904 17th Oct 2017 5:28pm
X4SKP

Re: Springs
nitram17 wrote:
Hi skip thanks for the info .......some photos would be a great help as I never trust spring compressors.. Martin

Rear Out...(I would still use the 'Tie Straps' to hold a compressed Spring in a shorter condition and therefore reduce the amount of Axle articulation required, the Rear Shock is disconnected at its base, and the Anti Roll Bar is disconnected both sides to allow the Axle to be lowered sufficiently)

Click image to enlarge

Rear In...

Click image to enlarge

Front Compressed...(notice that I left the upper and lower coils 'free' to allow the Isolators to be installed)

Click image to enlarge

Front Out...(I couldn't see how it was possible to remove the Front Springs without compressing them, I also didn't want to 'stress' the steering or drive components by dropping the Axle enough to try and remove an uncompressed Spring)

Click image to enlarge

Shock Compressed...(withdrawn and installed vertically through the engine bay, these can be compressed by hand and I 'wired mine' to hold them in this position, helping them to be bolted back in place)

Click image to enlarge

Front In...

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck... SKIP
Post #657952 17th Oct 2017 8:06pm
nitram17

Thanks skip.......your right about the choice of isolators http://www.totalparts.co.uk/land-rover/anr...rmach.html

my residual scottish blood is drawing me to the bearmach ones but i will take your advice and go LR Thumbs Up
Post #657974 17th Oct 2017 8:59pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
+1 for isolators - I have the top and bottom on the back of my 110 - really helps reduce road rumble Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #658041 18th Oct 2017 9:43am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi Martin,

Just out of interest (and a bit of future planning Whistle ) what have you used on your 110? The rear springs are bigger than the front so the usual Discovery parts won't fit. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #658043 18th Oct 2017 9:50am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
LRA - I used "Isolator Rear Spring" Part # ANR3060 Thumbs Up
Approx 5 each - great investment Smile

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ANR3060 Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #658056 18th Oct 2017 10:28am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ah ha! Great, thank you. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #658069 18th Oct 2017 11:40am
Cactus79

United Kingdom 
Nice posts as will probably need to sort the suspension sooner rather than later.

thanks
Post #658074 18th Oct 2017 12:11pm
X4SKP

nitram17 wrote:
Thanks skip.......my residual scottish blood is drawing me to the bearmach ones but i will take your advice and go LR Thumbs Up

Hello nitram17 My wife's 1/2 Scottish (and a thrifty wee lass with it too), it's only that she Loves her Land Rovers too, that we both have one sitting out side.

I have no problem trying non-LR Parts, especially with their 'Pricing Policy' on certain items, from memory I don't think I have ever had a problem with a Bearmach Product... It was just the comment made to me by my local independent, that they had seen poor examples of these, giving up early, and when you look at various images on-line, some do look to be a bit 'rough and ready'... so maybe just don't buy in at the 'bottom end', and all will be OK, (what can you really expect for a 2 product, considering the job it is trying to do... Exclamation )

Good Luck... SKIP
Post #658077 18th Oct 2017 12:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>