↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Springs here, what a shock!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^Skip, given you seem to be the Oracle on these matters, a small hypothetical for you.

I, like many, am looking to improve the handling of the Def. Not to go-cart standard, but improved. I have been keeping my eye on the Alive Eibach lowering springs. Apparently they make quite a difference, which is my aim.

My question therefore, to you (or those in the know), is how much benefit do the Alive Springs offer with regard to handling based on the quality of the spring and associated shocks (I'll be upgrading to Bilstein), how much to their reduced ride height and how much to both combined? If the drop is an important factor, I suppose re-raising the ride height with the isolators (for all their comfort and acoustic benefits) is missing the point of buying the Alive springs. Or (final question), would the quality of an Eibach progressive spring with Bilstein damper be good enough that the isolator won't make that much difference if added, but would certainly negate the handling benefits?

Hope that's clear Whistle

Ta Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #658096 18th Oct 2017 1:10pm
Grenadier

MartinK wrote:
LRA - I used "Isolator Rear Spring" Part # ANR3060 Thumbs Up
Approx 5 each - great investment Smile

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ANR3060

Martin, Reference my preceeding question to Skip, am I right in thinking these isolators thread the top/bottom of the spring coil through the isolator, therefore won't change ride height but will still offer same benefits in terms of noise transfer/rumble etc? Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #658098 18th Oct 2017 1:16pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Yes! They are not much thicker than a mountain bike inner tube, so they won't make any difference (maybe 1 or 2 mm) to ride height...

This was my springs - Right hand spring has the isolators on top and bottom.

Click image to enlarge

Write-up here http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49065.html

or britpart one

good luck Smile Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #658106 18th Oct 2017 2:02pm
Grenadier

Thanks Martin, looks like they make sense. And thank's for the write-p, very positive. You mention towards the end about prop-shaft 'vibes' being gone. Do you think that was the isolator or new springs? Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #658107 18th Oct 2017 2:10pm
MartinK

Grenadier - I didn't have propshaft vibes before or after. Someone thought I could start getting propshaft vibes because the lower springs (same way as a lift kit causes vibes sometimes) changed the angle of the prop-shaft. However I never noticed any change to proshaft vibe (none before, none after) Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #658117 18th Oct 2017 2:50pm
Grenadier

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying! Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #658133 18th Oct 2017 4:01pm
nitram17

Grenadier wrote:
^^^Skip, given you seem to be the Oracle on these matters, a small hypothetical for you.

I, like many, am looking to improve the handling of the Def. Not to go-cart standard, but improved. I have been keeping my eye on the Alive Eibach lowering springs. Apparently they make quite a difference, which is my aim.

My question therefore, to you (or those in the know), is how much benefit do the Alive Springs offer with regard to handling based on the quality of the spring and associated shocks (I'll be upgrading to Bilstein), how much to their reduced ride height and how much to both combined? If the drop is an important factor, I suppose re-raising the ride height with the isolators (for all their comfort and acoustic benefits) is missing the point of buying the Alive springs. Or (final question), would the quality of an Eibach progressive spring with Bilstein damper be good enough that the isolator won't make that much difference if added, but would certainly negate the handling benefits?

Hope that's clear Whistle

Ta Thumbs Up

The guy from alive on here never appears to want to comment on their spring set up!I personally think that the ride height of the springs has more to do with cornering rather than comfort ,but I suppose they have been tested by alive only in a specific formation ......I would guess that claiming an inch or so back with isolator swill not significantly effect the comfort performance of the springs but may make lose ground when your chasing lewis Hamilton around a few bends....and I will at my age take comfort over boy racing anytime! I think the green fella has isolators all round with his alive comfort springs so he might be the guy to comment from experience ?

Last edited by nitram17 on 18th Oct 2017 5:37pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #658141 18th Oct 2017 4:47pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Grenadier wrote:
like many, am looking to improve the handling of the Def. Not to go-cart standard, but improved....

Hello Grenadier

Oh dear I somehow must have given a false impression... Shocked

I'll tell you what I think to be true. All the brands you mention review well, my 90 had a reworked interior and some cosmetic changes to the exterior, when the customer who had this work done on a virtually unused vehicle, changed his mind, wanting to do the same on a 110, and then needed a 'quick sell', however it was booked in to have the suspension upgraded the week after his decision to sell.

Now that upgrade package was to use Alive Springs (new at the time...I don't know what spec) and Bilstein Shocks (just as you have mentioned) in addition, Front Tubular Shock Turrets from Terrafirma and Stiffer (thicker) ARB (Anti Roll Bars) Front and Back.

My 90 has a Standard Engine, and No Performance upgrades, it was going to be a big (ish) bill for the previous owner, it was offered to me but I didn't want this done, as all I really wanted was a really good condition late 2.4 90.

From what I know, the main question to ask is what are you trying to achieve, if its 'comfort' then Spring Dampening Quality will be a big part of achieving this, Isolators will help (a little) but probably nothing like the effect of the Spring + Shock Specification selected. Building on the quest for 'comfort' sound deadening (IMO) is probably the most significant thing you can do, but this (obviously) changes nothing when cornering.

If by 'improved handling' you mean better on a twisty turny road, then you need to get 'stiffer' (as they say). and to achieve that, its a combination of Springs, Shocks and ARB's all collectively asking the Tyre's to work harder, so Tyre Spec, Grip and Side Wall 'compression' will become a factor.

It's not cheap to go down this road, but if the type of driving you do, finds you rolling about too much as you fly though the B roads (on the remote stretches left with no speed cameras) then it all might be worth it.

Big engine upgrades, or significant 'standard engine tweaks' that results in a 'step change' in performance then I get the need to 'raise the bar' of the Suspension.

Equally for those who want to push further off road than the 'standard offer' allows...this too makes sense.

Good Luck with your upgrades...

The Coil Spring Isolators ANR3060 (as far as I know) are fitted as standard on the Top of the Rear Springs on all Defenders from 83 Onwards...

This is the Rear of Mine with both the ANR3060 remaining in place and the ANR2938 'on Top'

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #658142 18th Oct 2017 5:04pm
MartinK

I seem to remember my "old" springs had the isolators at one end when I removed them, supporting Skip's view... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #658160 18th Oct 2017 6:20pm
MartinK

Actually...

Click image to enlarge

This piccie was taken when I swapped the old USW springs to CSW springs., using OEM LR parts. You can clearly see the isolators but not on the actual end of the spring (one coil in)

Write-up here http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic13312.html

I swapped the USW springs for CSW springs, which gave an improvement in ride quality. Then a few years later I swapped the CSW springs for softer ones as per here: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49065....oilsprings

So yes - OEM springs do have isolators at one end only Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #658162 18th Oct 2017 6:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
As far as I'm aware the wrap around type were designed to stop the upper compressed coils on the rear from banging against one another and knocking.
The castellated type, are acutually the main isolating type that have a real tangiabke effect to ride quality, but all of them together have a cumulative effect which is excellent. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #658166 18th Oct 2017 6:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The rest of the shiny new suspension components arrived yesterday and it's now booked in to have the whole lot fitted week commencing 6th November Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

The only thing not shown in the picture is that I've swapped all of the nuts and bolts for stainless equivalents. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #658842 21st Oct 2017 9:57pm
nitram17

isolators
Hi LRA.....how thick are the discovery rubber isolators when compared to the castleated ones?....as im trying to gauge what i need to bring the alive comfort springs back to standard height......also are the bolts an intergral part of the discovery isolator or can you change them?

I wonder if anyone on here has tried normal height progressive springs on a 90 and now is contemplating the alive set up?
Post #658895 22nd Oct 2017 11:59am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Despite my best efforts, I don't think I managed to hold these square to each other whilst balancing my phone in the other hand Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

In practice, the D2 isolators are about 3-4mm thicker than the D1 ones but they do have the retaining ring built in, so it probably evens out to be the same overall.

The bolts are an integral part of the D2 isolators. I've just added stainless nuts and washers. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #659013 22nd Oct 2017 8:23pm
nitram17

isolators
Thanks LRA......very clear!
Post #659085 22nd Oct 2017 10:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123