↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My First Defender TD5 Progress
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
My First Defender TD5 Progress
So after buying my first Land Rover Defender I thought I’d get a progress thread going to keep a record of all the changes and get help and advice a long the way from those with more knowledge and experience.

So yesterday I travelled to Southport to meet Phil of Auto Expert in Lytham who had an advert on AutoTrader for a 2003 Land Rover TD5.

The Land Rover was parked outside ready and waiting had a good look around and soon realised I’d found for my budget an absolute minter as described in the advert. Highly recommend Phil at AE he’s a lovely genuine guy who has owned a few land rovers himself and seems to pride himself on getting high quality motors in stock.

Phil reversed the land rover on to the ramp and handed me an LED torch and a screwdriver and said I’ll leave you to have a look just let me know if you have any questions.

It was immaculate underneath having had protection from new with receipts as proof, it had also had the treatment injected into the chassis to prevent it rusting from the inside/out. The only corrosion visible was the exhaust which is to be expected, nothing bad just the obvious surface rust but still in very good nick nevertheless.

I took it for a test drive having been told it had been remapped and I was very impressed, gear changes very nice, pulled well and no rattles knocks or worrying sounds. Was lovely driving down the seafront at Southport for the test drive!

I had fallen in love right there, handed over the cash and drove home doing 70mph all the way home for 3 hours and it didn't skip a beat it felt like i was driving for half hour, some beautiful scenery that way. I couldn't stop smiling, music on to drown out the tyre noise and wind in my hair, i felt like a ten year old!!

The interior was immaculate to having had seat covers from new, which were also given to me so I can wash these and re-use when going in for a service etc. to keep them tip-top!

Anyway so here are some pictures of it from yesterday and today along with a quick run down of general description, i’ll try get better ones I've just been so busy since picking it up.

2003 Land Rover TD5
71650 Miles
Service 3 Months ago (750 Miles ago)
Full LR Service History all stamped in the book.
9 Months MOT
Loads of receipts, very well looked after.
Economy Viezu Remap
Spacers (The wheels seem to be flush with the arches more than my girlfriends, brothers td5 at least)

I’ll let the photos do the rest of the talking, ill be getting a new stainless exhaust on at some point in the near future so i’ll get some shots of the underneath as I forgot whilst there, I was too focussed on not getting excited and making sure i didn't miss anything.

Need to get some in the engine bay which is also lovely and some closer up of the front, I want to try and bring the front alive a little. The grill and light surrounds are like a dull black plastic think they need painting gloss black to bring them to life.

Exterior:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Interior:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #635104 2nd Jul 2017 4:00pm
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
Progress wise I have quite a few plans for this but wish to keep it subtle initially my priorities are the following:

Car Security
Powdercoat Alloys Satin or Gloss Black
Powdercoat front grills and light surrounds Satin or Gloss Black
Powdercoat the wing mirror covers to match the grey paintwork
Smoked Side repeaters
Stubby Aerial
Wind Deflectors
Exhaust and decat.

Lots more plans but they will be done in due course.

I also want to replace these metal trims that hold the mud flaps in place they have rusted through and could do with replacement. Any suggestions on where to look?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Actual Progress:

I also decided today to replace the head unit. It didn't pick up radio stations great and I prefer to have music on my phone than to clutter the car with cd’s so I had a look what was available online. £40 from Argos seemed a bargain as I can use it to charge my phone via the usb port also so winner for me

Old Stereo Which was in the car when I bought it:

Click image to enlarge

Picked up this one for £40 New (Argos has its uses at times)

Click image to enlarge

Old and New. Smaller as no need for CD's!

Click image to enlarge

New one fitted, Not much in the way of progress but it’s only day one and I can now tune into every radio station rather than just one.

Click image to enlarge

I have my eye on so many things already but these will flow once i’ve had the new security fitted. I’m assuming its the standard alarm as receipts for anything and everything else were provided.

It central locks, the alarm goes off if lock and leave windows open. It also seems to have internal sensors near the drivers door, can be seen in the interior photos.
Post #635105 2nd Jul 2017 4:02pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Looks good bud! Nice example too!
Post #635110 2nd Jul 2017 4:39pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Very tidy looking 90, nice Thumbs Up

Like yourself I like to keep the mods subtle and keep the car looking reasonably standard.

Are you intending keeping the middle front seat or replacing it with a cubby box?
My first 90 had a centre seat and it was a real pain for a full size adult to use it.
My current 90 has the cubby so I've done a little mod to move the handbrake lever to the top of the seatbox which makes it a lot more accessible and easier to use.

I think you might have trouble powdercoating the grille, light surrounds and mirrors, they're all plastic - well, except for the mirror arms, but yes, gloss black (paint) is a good choice.
Post #635117 2nd Jul 2017 5:47pm
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Rusty really pleased for you mate, keep us upyo date ! 7heres so much knowledge on this site, and everyone will help who can.
Pete
Post #635145 2nd Jul 2017 8:20pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Fantastic Landy Rusty - I was following your original thread, so I am pleased you have found yourself a nice Landy. Thumbs Up

What size tyres do you have? Looks like 285/75/16? Like the look of them.

P.S. - a cubby box is a good mod if you don't intend to use the middle seat. Really good storage area (the only storage area!), I certainly wouldn't be without mine. Somewhere to rest your elbow too. Smile BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #635167 2nd Jul 2017 9:22pm
Specialbikejames

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Rioja Red
Looks like a good one, but I'd want to know what's lurking under the chequer plate on the rear cross member. That's usually only fitted for one reason in my experience.
Post #635172 2nd Jul 2017 9:27pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
as above rip off the x member plate and fix what ever is lurking behind it before you spend money on shiny bits.

if the brackets are that rusty so will be the rest of the back end.if you leave it whatever is there will only rust faster
Post #635184 2nd Jul 2017 9:40pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
If the mud flap brackets are rusted through I would be very surprised if the cross member was not also in a similar state. Mud flap brackets were fine in my old 90 but the cross member had to be replaced.

Last edited by VVS210 on 2nd Jul 2017 10:34pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #635200 2nd Jul 2017 10:33pm
L110CDL

England 
Really pleased for you Rusty Thumbs Up but as above and above that ^^^ Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #635201 2nd Jul 2017 10:33pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Happy New Defender @ Rusty.. Looks great.. Looking forward to seeing your improvements Thumbs Up 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #635203 2nd Jul 2017 10:34pm
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
Cheers for the comments! I'll do some investigative work on the cross member next weekend. I really like the look of it though so after an inspection I'll be re-fitting it and give it a nice bead of marine grade silicone along all the relevant edges to prevent water ingress.

Better to be safe than sorry however the rest of the cross member and chassis that are visible and clear of surface rust and corrosion so hoping its purely aesthetics.

Regarding cubby box I really want one however it looks like the middle seat is staying for rusty the dog. He has a harness which keeps him in place and he likes sitting in the front admiring the view! So whenever he's in I think it's a seat covers on job, harness him in the middle and job done! In the back of he's dirty or been swimming mind!

Don't want any benches in the back either, people only ask or expect lifts! Just me the dog and lady!

My best friend is a cracking joiner so will be doing something nice with the back in due course. I really want a pull out draw but he's a perfectionist so it will be a top job and then get it upholstered by a local company to myself.
Need a new shotgun before any of that!
Post #635224 2nd Jul 2017 11:29pm
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
mini Anaconda wrote:
Fantastic Landy Rusty - I was following your original thread, so I am pleased you have found yourself a nice Landy. Thumbs Up

What size tyres do you have? Looks like 285/75/16? Like the look of them.

P.S. - a cubby box is a good mod if you don't intend to use the middle seat. Really good storage area (the only storage area!), I certainly wouldn't be without mine. Somewhere to rest your elbow too. Smile

I'll check the tyre size later and confirm Thumbs Up I do really fancy a Cubby Box but the dog has to come first (for now at least)

Impending Progress:

Aside from the important yet boring stuff (car security and checking that rear cross member) i'm going to buy buying these few bits over the next few weeks.

- KBX High Force Intakes (Santorini Black)
- KBX Front Grill & Light Surrounds (Santorini Black)
- KBX Wing Mirror Covers (Santorini Black)
- Powdercoat Alloys Satin or Gloss Block (Undecided)
- Black Locking Wheel Nut Set and Black Wheel Nuts

I'd really like to upgrade the front lights also to like a smoked set of lights, wouldn't mind changing the DRL's to a smoked typed of light fitting either if thats possible? Anybody have any suggestions?
Post #635240 3rd Jul 2017 8:07am
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
This is addictive already.

Bought 4 x Black Locking Wheel Nuts
20 X Black Locking Wheel Nuts (Never hurts to have spare)
4 New Black & Silver Defender Centre Caps
RDX Gloss Black Wing Mirros
RDX Smoked Side repeaters

AND

Booked in for powder coating on Friday, drop off early morning pick up in the same afternoon £240 (Bargain IMO) very good workmanship too as a few friends have had work done there!

Should be transformed for the weekend Thumbs Up

Think I'm just going to keep it simple and go gloss black with the wheels!

Any recommendations to ponder on before Friday, any other shade of black to consider I'm thinking satin just looks like gloss with brake dust on hah ??
Post #635303 3rd Jul 2017 1:49pm
V8GPC

United Kingdom 
Nice looking LR, I've been looking to replace the radio in mine; its not the original unit and I can't turn it off; other than taking the front off; and I like the look of the Sony one you have and the USB port is a bonus.

How does it work with the LR aerial for radio reception / FM? is it ok

Think I may copy Smile
Post #635353 3rd Jul 2017 5:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>