↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My First Defender TD5 Progress
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
As previously mentioned I would get the chequer plate off the x member as they are a rust trap and normally fitted to hide nasty things

Looks great though think you got a good one there 👍👍 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #635363 3rd Jul 2017 6:44pm
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
V8GPC wrote:
Nice looking LR, I've been looking to replace the radio in mine; its not the original unit and I can't turn it off; other than taking the front off; and I like the look of the Sony one you have and the USB port is a bonus.

How does it work with the LR aerial for radio reception / FM? is it ok

Think I may copy Smile

It works fine with the LR aerial up! The other one I was struggling to tune into anything, plugged this in and it picks up all stations but only when the aerial is extended. I'm happy with it for such a cheap thing! Don't get cases to put them in these days mind!

Thanks PJ!

Definitely going to get it off this weekend and have a look it's fixed with bolts to the cross member so only a ten minute job to whip it off and have a look for peace of mind!
Post #635371 3rd Jul 2017 7:13pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
"Definitely going to get it off this weekend and have a look it's fixed with bolts to the cross member so only a ten minute job to whip it off and have a look for peace of mind!"

Wise move, an aluminium and steel sandwich on a vehicle is never a good idea unless there is a substantial gasket between them to stave off the dreaded galvanic corrosion.
Post #635372 3rd Jul 2017 7:21pm
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
Had a few bits delivered today by the time I'd got back from site. The project engineer saw me enter the site compound in the defender and was made up, said how much of a lovely example it was and had a good chat for 10 mins. Decided to take the defender as it was a 150mile round trip and i don't have any comfort issues at all I bloody love it! Where I live its littered with motorway cameras and I never find myself doing more than 70 in the defender so its perfect, no tickets for me!

He has 2 defenders himself (1 being a puma) so was good to speak to him, pointed me in the direction of Bolt on Bits and Mud as have a couple of other members so any site meetings will now involve a nice Defender chat.

So Anyway had these delivered:

Gloss Black mirror covers (look tatty as still got protective film on)

Click image to enlarge

Gloss Black Wheel Nuts, as getting the wheels powder coated on friday this should finish them off!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The last things i'm waiting to have delivered for this week are these centre caps, which I think will really set off the new wheel job! They say 75mm which I assume is right couldn't find any others closer to 80mm which is what i'm measuring the boost alloy centre caps to!

So I'm dropping the defender off 9.00am on Friday and picking back up at 5pm the same day. I'm just gonna take the centre caps and the wheel nuts and ask them to put them back on it when putting the wheels back on. Saves me a job and everything will be fresh, i'll just be checking the centre caps fit when they are delivered.
Post #635563 4th Jul 2017 5:19pm
5 POT

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 SW Java Black
Let me know what you think to your wheel nuts in black! I have powdercoated boosts but on silver wheel nuts so this was the next step! Defender looks great especially for its age!
Post #635568 4th Jul 2017 5:49pm
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
Thanks 5 pot!

Yes I thought being as there being done I'll try get them done before there put back on that way it saves taking them off and putting new ones back on etc. And causing damage. I think the black will set them off! Seem cracking quality very heavy but I'll keep you posted! Cost me circa £45 delivered

Just got home and I'd accidentally got the wheel caps delivered there so they were there waiting for me! Look good quality!

Click image to enlarge
Post #635580 4th Jul 2017 6:33pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
nice buy there rusty! I did read up on you thread about getting your 1st one, to see what the end was.
As mentioned id get that checked plate off that rear straight away! Me and my dad looked at one with that stuff on the back end, and I walked away from it there and then. My dad said that its bloody rotten!
You do have to filter through some landys before you get the right one, as I stated I went through 5 and this one was the best. It was from north west defenders, the dealer you were going to look at silver one. They price stuff to sell as soon as it comes in basically. So they let you see it as it comes in and you go from there.
I will be keeping a watchful eye on your progress. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #635624 4th Jul 2017 8:57pm
Butchers Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Hey Rusty!

I just found your new thread.... Thumbs Up

I've read through this thread glad you've ordered the KBX light surround and grill they are perfect for what you want and IMHO will look great inkeeping with the gloss black and grey theme on your truck !
I know you were asking about wheels I had my wheels powder coated gloss black I think they look spot-on again in keeping with the colour theme - but everybody has their own preferences.

Love the new radio..... But I'll give it under a year until you fit a reverse camera (eBay eight ponds!) and fit a new head unit with a pop out screen... Laughing

Wind deflectors - I fitted these I'm very please that I did! In the winter months your truck windows will mist almost constantly! With the wind deflectors you can open the two front windows just enough to get a good air-flow and stop the rain from coming in. I also love the look of them Thumbs Up Although some people don't like them because if your tall it restricts your view so I'm told?

Exhaust - Don't worry too much I'm pretty sure most are rusty, mine certainly is when I last looked! Although I find giving the end section that you can see a spray with WD40 cleans them up nice!

Smoked Side repeaters - I got a complete set of LED lights from 'Bolt On' I think? Really good upgrade much brighter it also had smoked side repeaters! (See my thread 'Here come the mods')

Love the new center caps, mirror covers and black wheel nuts Thumbs Up

Cubby Box I wouldn't be without however I don't have a dog!

I would recommend ' Dirt Defenders' One of the cheapest most useful mods IMHO When it rains the the front wheels will kick dirty water up your doors these will stop that! Just seen you have front mud flaps so you may not need them? see how you get on..
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/dirt-d-fender-wh...sions.html

Black headlining was another great mod - but I don't have a Rusty that might shake himself when wet...
http://www.oemdevelopments.co.uk/store/p18...lston.html

I fitted LED lights inside the original light units they are great really bright again checkout my thread... Thumbs Up

Checkout the new arm rest!! We all got one of these they are surprisingly comfortable!!
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud-armrest.html

Slickshift - I've got mine but haven't fitted it yet. Some good reports on here about these
http://www.onlinegearboxparts.com/product/...lickshift/

X Defend Column Lock for Land Rover - really good security upgrade for £75
https://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=p...roduct_id=

SNOW COWL - Do you still have the standard plastic air intake grill top of your nearside wing? Come winter rain will fill up the air intake below it then drain down through your heater pipes all the way to your footwell! These simple cowl's stop that - brilliant!
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud-snow-cowl.html

Lovely 90 mate glad your happy with it!!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2010 Defender 90 HT

The longer I live..... The better I was!
Post #635750 5th Jul 2017 1:23pm
Butchers Boy

Rusty any chance we could talk you in to swapping the rear chequer plate for a 'Rear Nas Step' They look the T Censored T's really useful for stepping on and off getting in and out the rear also Rusty would love jumping in and out on! Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Butchers Boy on 11th Jul 2017 7:50pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #635756 5th Jul 2017 2:04pm
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
Butchers Boy wrote:
Hey Rusty!

I just found your new thread.... Thumbs Up

I've read through this thread glad you've ordered the KBX light surround and grill they are perfect for what you want and IMHO will look great inkeeping with the gloss black and grey theme on your truck !
I know you were asking about wheels I had my wheels powder coated gloss black I think they look spot-on again in keeping with the colour theme - but everybody has their own preferences.

Love the new radio..... But I'll give it under a year until you fit a reverse camera (eBay eight ponds!) and fit a new head unit with a pop out screen... Laughing

Wind deflectors - I fitted these I'm very please that I did! In the winter months your truck windows will mist almost constantly! With the wind deflectors you can open the two front windows just enough to get a good air-flow and stop the rain from coming in. I also love the look of them Thumbs Up Although some people don't like them because if your tall it restricts your view so I'm told?

Exhaust - Don't worry too much I'm pretty sure most are rusty, mine certainly is when I last looked! Although I find giving the end section that you can see a spray with WD40 cleans them up nice!

Smoked Side repeaters - I got a complete set of LED lights from 'Bolt On' I think? Really good upgrade much brighter it also had smoked side repeaters! (See my thread 'Here come the mods')

Love the new center caps, mirror covers and black wheel nuts Thumbs Up

Cubby Box I wouldn't be without however I don't have a dog!

I would recommend ' Dirt Defenders' One of the cheapest most useful mods IMHO When it rains the the front wheels will kick dirty water up your doors these will stop that! Just seen you have front mud flaps so you may not need them? see how you get on..
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/dirt-d-fender-wh...sions.html

Black headlining was another great mod - but I don't have a Rusty that might shake himself when wet...
http://www.oemdevelopments.co.uk/store/p18...lston.html

I fitted LED lights inside the original light units they are great really bright again checkout my thread... Thumbs Up

Checkout the new arm rest!! We all got one of these they are surprisingly comfortable!!
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud-armrest.html

Slickshift - I've got mine but haven't fitted it yet. Some good reports on here about these
http://www.onlinegearboxparts.com/product/...lickshift/

X Defend Column Lock for Land Rover - really good security upgrade for £75
https://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=p...roduct_id=

SNOW COWL - Do you still have the standard plastic air intake grill top of your nearside wing? Come winter rain will fill up the air intake below it then drain down through your heater pipes all the way to your footwell! These simple cowl's stop that - brilliant!
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud-snow-cowl.html

Lovely 90 mate glad your happy with it!!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I'm sold on that rear NAS Step looks awesome!

I'm gonna get most of what you mentioned, seems we have similar preferences! Wheels are in for powder coating tomorrow so i'm having to disguise the spending a little, especially as I'm buying a new shotgun later this month and supposed to be booking a holiday. The star rating of the apartment is going down on a day by day basis with this spending Laughing

With regards to the snow cowel is this a problem on both grills or just the one as I noticed yours on the passenger side only from memory? Looks smart though I like it!

The mudflats seem to be keeping the doors clean so far however not had any hard downpours since buying it.

I'm definitely gonna get a full set of LED Lights, the coloured version though, not so clean on the clear version. Smoked/Black front LED headlights also should set it off on The gloss black/Grey Theme.

Definitely getting some wind deflectors also, I swear by the things and think they add something a little extra to the styling.

On the cubby box note i'm torn I want one but we have a proper harness so little rusty can sit strapped in the middle seat with a nice view. As i bought this for the functionality of carting the dog around and going on country walks etc. I think I'd get told off If I got rid of the dogs seat Laughing

Still not let rusty in it yet though it's too immaculate and I need to put the seat covers back on before he gets in as the interior is spotlesss.

Thanks for all the advice its much appreciated!
Post #635889 6th Jul 2017 8:10am
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
I'm going to be doing a full build in the loading space area as well!

Going to deck it out with Phenolic Plywood for the durability, build a draw and chest for my shooting gear/ walking gear etc.

So it's not bouncing around the loading space when driving around, it won't stay in there overnight, i'll be leaving both wide open to show thieves theres nothing to steal..

My girlfriend has just got her degree in Garden Design/Horticulture and doing her final year to become a landscape architect so I'm also going to insure her on it and it will be handy for her time to time if picking stuff up from the garden centre etc.

I'm taking inspiration from this, it will be a very high quality finish as myself and the colleague who is helping me are a touch OCD and perfectionists at any little projects we getting doing. I'll be designing it, measuring it up etc. and basically assisting him as he is amazing at carpentry as its hobby and has an arsenal of tools to get the job done properly.

Going to buy some of these also to just finish off the bare panels internally and provide a little extra storage.

Will be starting this from next weekend so lots of progress to come Thumbs Up

There will be enough room for 2 x single seats facing each other in the rear, won't be fitting them but provisions will be in place so they can be fitted in the future.
Post #635891 6th Jul 2017 8:22am
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
Side Indicators arrived today. Very happy with them, look lovely!

Although I'm going to be getting the full Coloured LED set & Smoked LED Headlights I wanted to get these as they seem a little darker than the ones provided within the kit and I thought it would compliment the gloss black / grey theme a little better.

These aren't LED so weren't too expensive on their own only £15 from memory, but i'll get the LED part when I get the kit, so this is just the job for now! Thumbs Up

Will fit the side indicators and wing mirror covers tonight ready to compliment the fresh wheels tomorrow.

Click image to enlarge
Post #635923 6th Jul 2017 12:13pm
L110CDL

England 
Great thread so far Rusty380 Thumbs Up would agree with the dirt defenders as BB mentioned, just love this 90 Very Happy but could i persuade you to have a look at the Entreq snow cowl that Brendan sells ( Leeds on here ) excellent quality Whistle 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #636080 6th Jul 2017 10:23pm
Butchers Boy

Clayton are you refereeing to one of these Cowls?

http://www.4x4overlander.com/?s=snow+cowl&post_type=product 2010 Defender 90 HT

Post #636193 7th Jul 2017 12:06pm
Butchers Boy

Rusty these might be of interest mate Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic55575.html 2010 Defender 90 HT

Post #636196 7th Jul 2017 12:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>