↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Unsafe Sawtooth Wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
need4speed

watts wrote:
..Also I refuse to believe that the original and current OEM sawtooth manufacturer is making unbranded unapproved copies. It would be very short sighted for an approved JLR manufacturer/supplier to copy a JLR design in less they've lost the contract and don't feel they would work with JLR again.

I think you misunderstand. The current OEM sawtooth manufacturers are NOT making unbranded unapproved copies. Whoever supply Britpart with the wheels are, in turn supplying JLR.

JLR are getting their wheels from Britpart. Britpart are distributing the wheels to JLR. I've seen them coming out of their trucks...

Whoever are producing the thin looking wheels, it is not Britpart. They don't manufacture anything.
Post #445411 12th Aug 2015 11:21am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
need4speed wrote:
(LRS) "....Hello sorry dont know who made them but they are distributed by bearmach and 4x4tyres sold by most but can tell you theses are OEM imported By Britpart and come out of the same mold as landrover Graphite ones will be available in a month along with an 18" one available by November , hope this helps as people need to know the difference safety is our aim.."

Not clear this (probably due to lack of punctuation), whose are "unsafe" and whose are "OK"?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #445412 12th Aug 2015 11:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

need4speed wrote:
JLR are getting their wheels from Britpart. Britpart are distributing the wheels to JLR. I've seen them coming out of their trucks...

Franchised dealers being supplied by Britpart is very different to "Jaguar Land Rover Limited" buying the items for the production line from Britpart, is this proven to be true?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #445414 12th Aug 2015 11:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
need4speed

Regarding your 1st response Martin I was quoting verbatim the email response I received from Derrick at LRS. Any lack of punctuation was his... Thumbs Up And I certainly don't think he was saying his own wheels were unsafe Rolling with laughter

Regarding your 2nd response, sometimes you have to add 2+2 to come up with 4. What exactly do you take from watching guys unload pallets of wheels from a Britpart truck and take them into the back of the dealers?
Post #445418 12th Aug 2015 11:37am
watts

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Martin: Franchised dealers being supplied by Britpart is very different to "Jaguar Land Rover Limited" buying the items for the production line from Britpart, is this proven to be true?

I know what you mean Martin but Dealers purchasing Non-Gen/Unapproved JLR stock/parts and fitting them to customers vehicles has also got to be an issue too? JLR must have dealer rules on this.

I think Britparts role was explained in an earlier post where they were just acting as a distributor of approved/genuine JLR parts not necessary supplying unapproved parts like these LRS wheels.
Post #445419 12th Aug 2015 11:37am
need4speed

In all honesty I think it's all pretty much a moot point now.

If/when I purchase a set of sawtooths I will be making sure they are the stronger looking type..
Post #445423 12th Aug 2015 11:44am
Martin
Site Admin

need4speed wrote:
Regarding your 1st response Martin I was quoting verbatim the email response I received from Derrick at LRS. Any lack of punctuation was his... Thumbs Up And I certainly don't think he was saying his own wheels were unsafe Rolling with laughter

I did add (LRS) before the quote Wink

The wheels from LRS are not the only "safe" Sawtooth wheels made, they are supplied by someone - but it is not clear whether it is Bearmach, Britpart or other?

need4speed wrote:
Regarding your 2nd response, sometimes you have to add 2+2 to come up with 4. What exactly do you take from watching guys unload pallets of wheels from a Britpart truck and take them into the back of the dealers?

A dealer != JLR.

Dealers are separate businesses and may sell Britpart parts (Duckworth LR do). Pallets of wheels delivered to a dealer by Britpart does not mean that JLR buy them from Britpart for production! 2+2 does not equal 5 Wink  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #445425 12th Aug 2015 11:49am
watts

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green

In all honesty I think it's all pretty much a moot point now.

If/when I purchase a set of sawtooths I will be making sure they are the stronger looking type..

I know what you mean and fair enough, however it's an interesting topic and thanks for posting.

I would say however if LRS can't provide details on payload/suitability of use etc I wouldn't assume the 'stronger looking type' necessarily is.

A dealer != JLR.

Dealers are separate businesses and may sell Britpart parts (Duckworth LR do). Pallets of wheels delivered to a dealer by Britpart does not mean that JLR buy them from Britpart for production! 2+2 does not equal 5

The Dealer Duckworth LR sells copies of genuine JLR parts?
Post #445427 12th Aug 2015 11:58am
Martin
Site Admin

You would have to ask Duckworth about their business decisions, but they sell genuine parts (as an LR dealer) and pattern parts (as a Britpart dealer).  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #445428 12th Aug 2015 12:00pm
need4speed

As has been done to death before though is the fact that "genuine LR" is a totally different thing to "made by LR".

In the case of sawtooth wheels, Genuine or otherwise, they are not manufactured by LR.

In fact very few wheels (if any) are made by any car manufacturer.
Post #445431 12th Aug 2015 12:09pm
thompsondanny10

United Kingdom 
Hi guys,

Thought I should shed some light on to this one as it appears there seems to be some confusion and I am indeed the supplier.

So firstly the main importer for the wheels is indeed us (4x4tyres) and from here it is distributed via both Southam / Micheldever tyres and Bearmach.

Please note that Britpart source their own wheel and i have no information on this what so ever. - HOWEVER, Land Rover do not allow Uniwheel Germany to produce ANY wheels for the aftermarket what so ever, and so no wheel would be OEM. what Britpart mean, and they do this across there entire range is simply the have copied the wheel - please speak to them about this as it is not a road we go down.

The Sawtooth we offer to the market in both 16" and 18" ( under licence to one customer) is load rated, with JBL certs at 1050kg, compared to the original wheel being 1000kg. This is included in a factory operating under ISO 9002.

On a final note, we do work extremely closely with JLR directly on certain lines. For example the latest James Bond Movie Spectre was supplied with a total of 250 wheels and tyres for the Defenders and tyres for the Range Rover Sports - of course I can provide references should any one need ( like wise we deal with, Renault, Nissan, MOD and many more)

With regards to pricing on a final note, the easiest way i would say to look at it would be simply profit margin and operating costs. A vehicles manufacturer obviously has huge costs to cover. Compared to the likes of a small importer, trying to provide a service where required, and without a workforce totally thousands

Any all - not here to get dragged in to a discussion about other peoples quality, just here to re assure you that we are by no means a fly by night outfit looking to make a quick buck - far far from it. We aim to provide an on going service and the best quality product we can and just wanted to have our say

Good look to everyone shopping around Smile
Post #445432 12th Aug 2015 12:10pm
Martin
Site Admin

need4speed wrote:
As has been done to death before though is the fact that "genuine LR" is a totally different thing to "made by LR".

In the case of sawtooth wheels, Genuine or otherwise, they are not manufactured by LR.

In fact very few wheels (if any) are made by any car manufacturer.

LR, in common with most manufacturers, make virtually nothing (if anything) now, they assemble vehicles from parts made by external suppliers.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #445433 12th Aug 2015 12:14pm
need4speed

Thanks for the info Danny. You obviously know as much as anyone about these wheels.

So with that being said, who makes the thin looking type and who makes the thicker looking type.

This should be cleared up once and for all. Thumbs Up
Post #445434 12th Aug 2015 12:16pm
Martin
Site Admin

Danny, thanks for the input however...

thompsondanny10 wrote:
the wheels

Which wheels from LRS's photo are "yours"/Bearmach's?

1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #445435 12th Aug 2015 12:18pm
thompsondanny10

United Kingdom 
The thick spoke is Genuine Land Rover - who as you know have no stock any more on Black ( I am led to believe they will not make more but I honestly cannot vouch for that ) but they do have stock on Anthracite.

We offered a thinner spoke at the point of meeting the outer edge of the wheel - not quite as aggressive as pictured though !!!

I cannot vouch for Britpart obviously, and nor would i comment on someone else product quality in honesty as thats not the line we are in

What I would say to anyone is just ask for Certificates of load rating when considering a purchase. and check Feedback etc, my one sales line would be - ours is impeccable Smile we make errors as does everyone, but we correct them as the feedback will vouch

I do wonder why someone has destroyed a wheel to compare two spokes ? Has someone has had a wheel failure ? by law they would have to recall the product, provide a replacement set in the interim period and then correct the issue !!!! not a cheap process and you cannot hide behind limited liability either - it would be a Directors personal responsibility - personally liable if they produce and sell inferior unsafe product !!!

Any boys and girls, not here to get dragged in to an argument, or in fact try the whole sales line Smile just to reassure as my names was mentioned, as was one of our big distributors that this product is actually above requirements

Should add we supply LIFETIME manufacturing warranties Smile

Dan
Post #445437 12th Aug 2015 12:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>