↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Unsafe Sawtooth Wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Print this entire topic · 
need4speed

There is a pic of the "thin" type earlier in the thread and while the author of the post has done his best to conceal the seller, the reflection of the sellers logo is identifiable to folk that know all the big LR accessory companies..
Post #446087 14th Aug 2015 2:26pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Er hang on a sec, I've not tried to conceal anything. I said I didn't want to speculate as I had no definitive information on which were supplied by who Confused  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #446101 14th Aug 2015 3:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Actually I read "conceal" as a positive attribute, implying freedom from bias... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #446125 14th Aug 2015 4:29pm
need4speed

Martin wrote:
Er hang on a sec, I've not tried to conceal anything. I said I didn't want to speculate as I had no definitive information on which were supplied by who Confused

"Conceal" was maybe the wrong term. But you left the logo out so as not to point a finger. No offence was meant..
Post #446128 14th Aug 2015 4:39pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Not unlike a child on a long journey......

"Are we nearly there yet?" Rolling with laughter Bow down If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #446172 14th Aug 2015 6:54pm
need4speed

No. Just a little closer... Laughing
Post #446190 14th Aug 2015 7:51pm
stickyyates

United Kingdom 
Hi Guys.

New on here, Hello to all.

I have just bought a defender with the thin spoke alloys on and am now concerned about whether they are up to some green laning.

I have found 2 suppliers who are selling these wheels with pictures of the thin spoke ones on there web sites.

Am i allowed to tell you all or is there some legal's that say I can't name names.

I have asked one of the for the load rating, lets see what they say.
Post #451804 3rd Sep 2015 2:41pm
need4speed

Until it's proven that they actually ARE unsafe it's probably fairer not to name and shame. I started this thread as I noticed there was a significant difference between some sawtooth alloys. Coupled with the fact that LRS claimed the thin spoke type are dangerous. I thought I would draw people's attention to it and let them make up their own minds..

Anyone considering purchasing such wheels will probably have done their research and know who sells what anyway. I know I do..

Look forward to hearing what answer you get, if any.

Oh and welcome to forum Thumbs Up
Post #452039 4th Sep 2015 7:24am
stickyyates

United Kingdom 
Well after a long online chat sesion with one supplier who has both types showing on their website (Black thick type and silver thin type), they actually went to check the stocks and all they had were the thicker ones.
When I asked about the thin ones in the photos they said it was just a trick of the light on the picture, however it clearly is not.
They just acted a little dumb after that.

Don't know what to do now, mine are thin type, guy I bought it off says there fine but who knows. ??? Idea
Post #453402 8th Sep 2015 5:47pm
need4speed

Personally I would use them.

As was stated in an earlier post, there is a chance that the thinner type uses a different (stronger?) grade of material and can therefore afford to be thinner..

If you purchased from a reputable company they should have a warranty/guarantee anyway?

Edit: The fact that whoever you purchased on acted dumb when you pointed it out is probably more to do with the fact that they hadn't noticed a difference or couldn't explain why there was a difference rather than there being anything sinister going on...
Post #453648 9th Sep 2015 3:24pm
Ardgualich

Scotland 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Santorini Black
Hi all,

Its only one experience but after the "thinner" alloys failed completely on my discovery I wouldn't take a chance on the thin ones.

Surprisingly.. or maybe not. we were told when we bought them almost exactly the same story as has been posted here ie that they are made in the same place as the genuine Landrover parts. After the fact we did some investigation and found it to be complete fabrication.
The thinner ones are almost certainly Chinese manufactured and are a cheap and inferior "look alike" rather than even a copy.
We contacted the supplier after the wheels failed and were basically brushed off as I didn't have the original receipt.

Its very easy for sales people to say Oh of course they are fully specified and have the correct weight rating stamped on them. However they may never even have been tested.
Post #458567 27th Sep 2015 11:20pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
^^

I still find this thread a little confusing as others obviously do too? Are the thinner ones actually 'unsafe?' Perhaps a question mark at the end of the title?

The surprise I got seeing your pictures first time round Ardgualich (as per my first post this thread) has always made me mindful to do a little more research before buying whenever possible, also a great testament not to buy cheap far eastern copies perhaps? The consequences of the failure of inferior wheels such as yours I can't bear to think about what may have happened. Thankfully you were very very lucky indeed! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #458593 28th Sep 2015 8:05am
need4speed

Holy thread revivals..

Just to clarify in order to avoid confusion..... At no point in this thread has it been stated that the "thinner" spoke type is made by the same manufacturer that supplies LR.

Only the "thicker" spoke type is made by the same manufacturer. The only people (that I'm aware of) that sells the thicker type, other than LR is LRS and Britpart. Also just for clarification, it's the latter who supplies LR.....
Post #458613 28th Sep 2015 10:11am
Brendlynch

Jersey 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Hi all,

Sorry to reboot this thread once again after two years but having read the 7 pages I'm still none the wiser.

Neutral

Has anyone established which of the wheels (Bearmach or Britpart) are the closest looking copy of the genuine LR Sawtooth?
Post #655459 6th Oct 2017 7:28pm
Shoeey

United Kingdom 
I have sawtooth style wheels supplied by a well known Mach or is that marque (brand)? This concerns me as most of my defender travels on dual or motorway Confused
Post #660595 30th Oct 2017 4:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567