↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Adaptor shaft spline failure between main and transfer boxes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Adaptor shaft spline failure between main and transfer boxes
Hi

My MY13 Defender has just fallen to this issue.

Can you advise if a repair under warranty uses original-build parts or whether there is a revised parts kit designed to remedy the cause of the failures?

If the latter, could you tell me what parts are included in the revised kit.

There has been some forum discussion on this with a suggestion that the internally-splined cup which attaches to the gearbox output spigot now has two diametrically-opposite grease nipples, and the extension casing has a hole in the bottom directly beneath the nipples. The idea is that by turning the output shaft until the nipples are vertical and inserting a greasegun through the hole, the assembly can be greased. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Post #420668 2nd May 2015 3:23pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Supacat

Thank you for your post.

I note your query and would advise that the level of repair in relation to any vehicle concern would depend on the results of the initial diagnostics completed by the retailer.

Land Rover retailers will use the latest available parts for repairs to our vehicles and during the lifespan of the vehicles and components, modifications may be made for a number of reasons such as design improvements and change of suppliers.

All of our vehicles are covered by a comprehensive manufacturers warranty and our retailers are in place to effect any necessary warranty repairs. Should you require assistance with the concern with your vehicle, may I suggest visiting your local Land Rover retailer so they may complete a diagnosis of the concern in question and advise accordingly.

Regards

Ryan
Post #421278 5th May 2015 11:23am
Supacat

Ryan - welcome back - or having escaped, did you do something wrong to get sent back to the naughty room? Wink

Ryan@LandRover wrote:
Land Rover retailers will use the latest available parts for repairs to our vehicles and during the lifespan of the vehicles and components, modifications may be made for a number of reasons such as design improvements and change of suppliers.

This is the question I'm asking - what are the latest available parts and has there been any design improvements put in place?
Post #421280 5th May 2015 11:27am
munch90

England 
The only modification ive heard mentioned , was to grease it when fitting

i personally think if they greased with a moly style grease ( cv grease ) , they will last
Post #421389 5th May 2015 6:30pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Supacat

Thank you for your post.

Due to annual leave and responsibilities elsewhere within the business I have been away from this forum but have now returned.

I note your comments but would require a diagnosis to be completed by a Land Rover retailer before I am able to comment as to the appropriate level of repair and the parts used.

Regards

Ryan
Post #421491 6th May 2015 7:46am
Supacat

Ryan

I can confirm that a diagnosis has been completed by a Land Rover retailer:

"Transmission intermediate shaft knocking".

It's been booked in for a repair, and I'm just asking what is the latest position with regard to the repair/replacement of these parts and for a comment with regard to the following:

There has been some forum discussion on this with a suggestion that the internally-splined cup which attaches to the gearbox output spigot now has two diametrically-opposite grease nipples, and the extension casing has a hole in the bottom directly beneath the nipples. The idea is that by turning the output shaft until the nipples are vertical and inserting a greasegun through the hole, the assembly can be greased. Is this correct?

This thread best describes the issue:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic32931....iate+shaft

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #421495 6th May 2015 8:16am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Supacat

Thank you for your post.

In order for me to advise and assist you further I would be grateful if you are able to send me a PM with the following details;

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN
Relevant repairing Land Rover retailer

Once I have this information, I will contact your retailer and be able to advise further regarding the repair.

However, I would be unable to advise regarding any suggestion in relation to a non-approved level or method of repair that falls outside of our own workshop instruction or bulletins.

Regards

Ryan
Post #421499 6th May 2015 8:26am
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Thud Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #421501 6th May 2015 8:28am
Supacat

Info sent by pm so I'll await further update. Thumbs Up

Ryan@LandRover wrote:
However, I would be unable to advise regarding any suggestion in relation to a non-approved level or method of repair that falls outside of our own workshop instruction or bulletins.

That's actually part of the question I'm trying to get an answer to - is there any LR instruction with regard to modification of the parts, fitting grease nipples, or otherwise or is the only repair sanctioned by LR to fit new original spec and unmodified parts and some weicon grease on the splines?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #421526 6th May 2015 10:02am
Supacat

Response received from Ryan which I feel is suitable to share, having just edited out names and dates:

"Hi xxxx

Thank you for the requested details.

I have taken the opportunity of contacting xxxx Land Rover, Halifax and have spoken with their Workshop Controller, Mr xxx xxxx. xxx has advised me that your vehicle is rebooked for the xxth xxxx at which point they will be removing the gearbox to further investigate the concern that you are referring to. At the current time, xxxx have not fully diagnosed the concern.

Until such time as the gearbox is removed and the retailer have fully diagnosed the concern, I would be unable to confirm regarding the correct method or level of repair.

May I suggest speaking to xxx xxxx following the further investigations on the xxth xxxx and I trust that the retailer will be able to answer any queries that you may have regarding this.

Alternatively, should you require any additional support, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be happy to help.

Regards

Ryan"

How do I feel - just a little frustrated (Willy - you have the right emoticon).

It seems the goalposts for getting a straight factual answer to this just keep moving.

Ryan - I quote your first post:

"the level of repair in relation to any vehicle concern would depend on the results of the initial diagnostics completed by the retailer."

I provide you with this.

You then ask for a load of additional personal information.

I provide you with this.

You then state:

"Until such time as the gearbox is removed and the retailer have fully diagnosed the concern, I would be unable to confirm regarding the correct method or level of repair".

If that was the case why did you not say that it the first place?

All I want to know is if a shaft looks like that in the photos posted above (the dry, red rusty/dust ones) - what is the official LR fix?
Post #421546 6th May 2015 11:19am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Supacat

Thank you for your post.

As I hope you can appreciate, we rely on the findings and diagnosis of our retailers in order to be able to comment on the correct level of repair. Having spoken with your retailer, I have been advised that the initial diagnostics are inconclusive and they are required to complete further investigation to fully diagnose the concern and the removal of the gearbox of your vehicle is necessary in order for them to be able to advise further.

Whilst I appreciate your question, we are only able to advise on a concern following completion of a physical diagnosis by a Land Rover repairer.

May I apologise for any confusion however, I must advise that at the current time I am unable to comment further for the reasons already outlined.

Please note that I am more than happy to continue to discuss your specific concern directly through PM.

Regards

Ryan
Post #421549 6th May 2015 11:40am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Basically Landrover don't want to commit to saying they can replace anything until they have found the cheapest option. This is probably why Pete was moved on from his position with the mistake of saying air con was available on the heritage resulting in Landrover head office getting grief. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #421559 6th May 2015 12:36pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi mk1collector

Thank you for your post.

Land Rover would not look for the cheapest option available for repair, we would look at the correct level of repair in each case.

In order for us to determine the correct level of repair, a physical diagnosis is required to fully understand what is required to resolve the concern.

Regards

Ryan
Post #421568 6th May 2015 1:04pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Maybe its just me but as far as I see it.

Supacat wants to know if there is an updated part for the Transmission Intermediate flange, should be reasonably easy to find out.

Ryan this is how it plays in my head.

Ryan " Hello is that Defender Engineering Department"

DED " Hello it is Defender Engineering Department how can we help" Question

Ryan " Hi some of my many friends and Land Rover lovers on the Defender2 site were wondering if there is a new part number or update for the Transmission Intermediate Flange, as many of them seem to be failing at low mileage and seem very rusty when taken apart with not a smidgen of grease to be found" Big Cry

DED " Oh that doesn't sound good Ryan, Big Cry no there isn't any new part number but we recommend when it does fail that you grease the new one so it doesn't happen again Very Happy , and we will look into what we can do about future builds Embarassed

Ryan " Thanks alot mister engineering type man i'll pass that information on i'm sure my friends will be delighted" Very Happy

The reason he wants to know this is, he doesn't want to suffer from this problem again.

The PROBLEM is the Transmission Intermediate Flange has failed on many Land Rovers due to no lubrication when built. Read this http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic36618.html

So easy answer Ryan? or political manouvering Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #421577 6th May 2015 1:31pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi willy eckerslike

Thank you for your post.

All of our vehicles are provided with a comprehensive three year/unlimited mileage manufacturers warranty. This allows us to not only address any concerns that may arise but to also monitor the durability of components throughout a range of vehicles used under various conditions and mileage usage.

Any manufacturing defect that is diagnosed by a Land Rover approved retailer will be addressed under the terms of the manufacturers warranty. However, a physical diagnosis is required to be completed in each case to establish the full circumstances regarding the concern in question.

Regards

Ryan
Post #421580 6th May 2015 1:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>