↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Adaptor shaft spline failure between main and transfer boxes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
munch90

England 
Case of ' do as i say dont do as i do ' Laughing
Post #422762 11th May 2015 10:02pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Rolling with laughter The exact words I was told as an apprentice!

How true they are! 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #422789 12th May 2015 6:54am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There's nothing in that thread that hasn't already been said on this forum (unless it's in the Afrikaans bits I can't read).

The immediate cause of these problems - spline failure to due inadequate luibrication - is well understood. The mystery is why LR seems incapable of (a) admitting that there's a problem and (b) providing an effective rectification strategy.

Probably all it would take would be for a high-profile multiple-fatality accident to result from the shaft failure for action to be taken - a vehicle stuck on a level crossing, perhaps. I bet that action would be taken pretty quickly then.
Post #422804 12th May 2015 8:41am
theorangebandit

This issue is so well known and so common that Ashcroft have engineered a solution to it. Don't waste your time with land rovers after car services. They really don't care that your defenders clutch is rattling and juddering your teeth out at 40kmiles. And they certainly couldn't give a damn about your gbox output shaft. After many conversations it diluted to them agreeing to charge me to inspect the clutch and shaft and then repair from there at a reduced rate, I said balls to that ill do it myself. That way I know it'll be done right, with upgraded parts and it'll be done at half the reduced price even paying retail for parts.

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/mt...t-kit.html

Land rover no longer car about the heritage vehicle they only care about BMW and Audi drivers buying their new plastic tat
Post #422806 12th May 2015 9:12am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
There's nothing in that thread that hasn't already been said on this forum (unless it's in the Afrikaans bits I can't read).

The bit abut the missing seal hasn't been covered before has it?
Post #422815 12th May 2015 10:30am
YOLO110

Australia 
Mmmm, confused?

This kit looks very well made, but I see no mention of greasing the assembly before installation, not do I see a grease nipple added? I am obviously missing something? Question

Also, what are the symptoms of the failure guys? Or are there none, it just suddenly lets go?

Cheers, Pete YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #422825 12th May 2015 11:00am
YOLO110

Australia 
Would fitting this kit to a new Puma subsequently invalidate the JLR warrantee? YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #422826 12th May 2015 11:01am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
YOLO110 wrote:
Mmmm, confused?

This kit looks very well made, but I see no mention of greasing the assembly before installation, not do I see a grease nipple added? I am obviously missing something? Question

"We have devised a method to make this splined interface wet with oil which stops the wear.

We take a new LR030054 and spark erode two small slits in the front face where it fits to a bearing, also remove two teeth from the front spline at 180 degrees to eachother, then spark erode another two small slits on the rear face under the clamping bolt, this now allows oil to 'leak' out of the mainbox to this spline. We also turn a thread on the outside diameter and also make two O ring grooves."

YOLO110 wrote:
Also, what are the symptoms of the failure guys? Or are there none, it just suddenly lets go?

Depending on your driving style and how gentle you are on takeup of the drive, you can feel very little; but worn splines will create movement which will be felt as a clonk or bang.

Last edited by Supacat on 12th May 2015 11:13am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #422831 12th May 2015 11:09am
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
YOLO

The Ashcroft kit allows the shaft to run wet with oil from the existing gearbox oil supply, hence the replacement never needs greasing.

Symptoms of the failure range from none at all to some knocking from the transmission.
Post #422832 12th May 2015 11:11am
YOLO110

Australia 
Thank you for the explanation and replies guys.

Very interesting.

Cheers,

Pete Smile YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #422836 12th May 2015 11:42am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Supacat wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

The bit abut the missing seal hasn't been covered before has it?

The nature of the seal has been discussed, the fact that there are people who don't bother to refit it, or allegedly some vehicles which may have left the factory without it, has not.

I am surprised that there are those who discard the seal - I would not let anyone who failed to appreciated the purpose and need for the seal, and indeed the need for lubrication, anywhere near my vehicle
Post #422862 12th May 2015 12:47pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi all

Thank you for your posts.

I have taken the opportunity of liaising with our Technical Team regarding this and have been advised that the part in question should be greased upon manufacture.

Should anyone be experiencing concerns with their vehicle, may I suggest visiting your local Land Rover retailer so they may carry out investigations and advise accordingly.

As previously advised, should anyone require any additional support, please send me a PM with your contact and vehicle details.

Regards

Ryan
Post #422901 12th May 2015 3:23pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Shocked that's a better answer!!! So everyone with a puma who's box hasn't gone pop yet wants to get into the dealer straight away! Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #422910 12th May 2015 3:37pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Ryan@LandRover wrote:
Hi all

Thank you for your posts.

I have taken the opportunity of liaising with our Technical Team regarding this and have been advised that the part in question should be greased upon manufacture.

Should anyone be experiencing concerns with their vehicle, may I suggest visiting your local Land Rover retailer so they may carry out investigations and advise accordingly.

As previously advised, should anyone require any additional support, please send me a PM with your contact and vehicle details.

Regards

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for this very useful and clear reply.

May I therefore just clarify, that as a result of the obvious concerns about this matter on this forum, I will understandably now indeed be contacting my dealer to indeed 'carry out investigations' as I do not wish to have a future failure of this part. Will this 'investigation' be carried out FOC and if my dealer then finds that the part in question has not 'been greased on manafacture', will this then be rectified at no cost to me?

Many thanks,

Peter. YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #422913 12th May 2015 3:52pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Yolo110

To clarify, Land Rover provide a comprehensive manufacturers warranty that is in place to address any concerns that may arise during the first three years of the life of the vehicle. Should you be experiencing any concerns with the operation of your vehicle or believe that a fault is present, your local Land Rover retailer will be able to investigate and address each concern under the terms of the manufacturers warranty following a diagnosis and confirmation of a manufacturing defect.

However, if you are not experiencing any concerns with the operation of your vehicle, there would be no further action that would be taken.

Regards

Ryan
Post #422923 12th May 2015 4:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>