↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > LTB00386 - Defender Alarm Overlay Kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
LTB00386 - Defender Alarm Overlay Kit
Does anyone have any information on this bulletin? I've heard it may offer slightly more protection to the standard alarm although not sure if it was fitted as standard since the bulletin was released? Not a lot of info on the net and don't have access to topix. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #403183 28th Feb 2015 10:11pm
TDCi Guy

Nobody with a topix account that could have a quick looksy? Whistle Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #404222 3rd Mar 2015 7:59pm
TDCi Guy

I found a chinese copy of the bulletin whilst googling. It looks to be protection against shorting out the indicators.
Linky

Loosely translated by google:
Quote:
Technical Communications
LTB00386
02 June 2011
Jaguar Land Rover Limited
All rights reserved.
Chapters: 417-00
Defender alerts overlapping Kit
Affected vehicles range:
Sales Market:
All
Overview:
Situation:
Customers may reflect alarm circuit fuse.
NOTE: If customers are concerned about the presence of the risk of theft and alarm system interference, can be installed upon request overlapping kit. This kit provides for the thief to use
Known techniques specific alert system interference enhanced protection.
Appendix 1. Defender alerts overlapping harness kit installer before model year 2007 vehicles.
Appendix 2. Defender alerts overlapping harness kit installer after model year 2007 vehicles.
Cause: The lamp circuit memory shorted. Customers are advised to adopt the code in question - L14.
Operation: if customers report problems, please follow the following guidelines for maintenance repairs.
Parts required:
Warranty:
Note: Maintenance program remains unchanged, while the service time may vary; here indicate time as a reference only. Always refer to TOPIx
Learn nearest repair time.
Note: DDW cause problems requires the use of part numbers. Artificial claims must be presented with a limited number of problems caused by part number zero.
Note: For the regular warranty policies and procedures.
Defender (LD) model year: 2002 onwards
Vehicle identification number series: LD622424 from
LR031883 alert overlapping Kit Quantity: 1
Operating instructions in code generation time ACES conditions
Code related parts
Installation of an alarm system wiring harness connector - LD - 2002 to 2006 model year vehicles
Vehicle model year 86.71.89 / 36 1.8 Small
Time
42 AMR6104
Installation of an alarm system wiring harness connector - LD - after the 2007 model year vehicles 86.71.89 / 36 0.9 Small
Time
Repair Guide:
Appendix 1
Page 1 of 4
https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/service/document/163394 2013-1-121. Remove the dashboard console. For more information, please refer to Section 501-12 TOPIx Festival "dashboard and console, removal and installation."
2. Remove the driver's side dashboard speaker. For more information, please refer to Section 415-03 TOPIx Festival "dashboard speakers, dismantle and security
Loaded. "
3. Locate the alarm ECU connector C1980.
4. Use the right tools to remove located numbered holes 8 guide
Line.
5. The orifice 8 inserted into the wiring harness for a new alert overlap in number.
6. Note: Make sure the original without any wires exposed.
The electrical connector from the original wire insulating sleeve cut.
1. Use the appropriate insulation tape affixed to the original wire insulating sleeve.
2. The number of C1980 is connected to the alarm connector into the ECU.
7. Note: Make sure to overlap the new harness firmly fixed, and no moving parts.
The new overlay harness to the orifice from behind the dashboard instrument cluster.
1. Use cable ties fixed new harness.
8. Locate the hazard switch connector C-0096 2-pin purple wire.
Page 2 of 4
https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/service/document/163394 2013-1-12 Appendix 2
9. Connect the new wire harness.
1. The wire was cut from the joint 50 mm.
2. Use the appropriate wire strippers stripping the ends out.
3. Insert the curved connector to the original wire.
4. Insert the new overlay harness.
5. Use the right tool joints bend bending.
10. Install the driver's side dashboard speaker. For more information, please refer to Section 415-03 TOPIx Festival "dashboard speakers, dismantle and security
Loaded. "
11. Install the dashboard console. For more information, please refer to Section 501-12 TOPIx Festival "dashboard and console, removal and installation."
12. Remove the audio unit dashboard console. For more information, please refer to Section 501-12 TOPIx Festival "dashboard and console, remove and security
Loaded. "
13. Remove the driver's side dashboard speakers, please refer to Section 415-03 TOPIx Festival "dashboard speakers, removal and installation."
14. find the alarm ECU connector C0057.
15. Use the right tools to remove numbered holes located in the 8
Wire.
Page 3 of 4
https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/service/document/163394 2013-1-1216. holes 8, insert a new harness for alarm overlap in numbers.
17. Note: Make sure the original without any wires exposed.
The electrical connector from the original wire insulating sleeve cut.
1. Use the appropriate insulation tape affixed to the original wire insulating sleeve.
2. The number of C0057 is connected to the alarm connector into the ECU.
18. Note: Make sure to overlap the new harness firmly fixed, and no moving parts.
The new overlay harness to the orifice from behind the dashboard instrument cluster.
1. Use cable ties fixed new harness.
19. find the hazard switch connector C-0096 second guide pin purple
Line.
20. Connect the new wire harness.
1. The wire was cut from the joint 50 mm.
2. Use the appropriate wire strippers stripping the ends out.
3. Insert the curved connector to the original wire.
4. Insert the new overlay harness.
5. Use the right tool joints bend bending.
21. Install the driver's side dashboard speaker. For more information, please refer to Section 415-03 TOPIx Festival "dashboard speakers, dismantle and security
Loaded. "
22. Install the dashboard console. For more information, please refer to Section 501-12 TOPIx Festival "dashboard and console, removal and installation."
Page 4 of 4
https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/service/document/163394 2013-1-12
 Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #404248 3rd Mar 2015 8:38pm
dgardel

Italy 
Sorry m8, only in italian but with pics

http://1drv.ms/1GP6q9i Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #404326 3rd Mar 2015 11:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
This is incorporated into the standard wiring from about 2013, you are correct in that it guards against one method of disabling the alarm.
Post #404341 4th Mar 2015 7:13am
nitram17

Where did you get your info 5th?about the workaround for the shorting of the indicators
Post #687764 20th Feb 2018 9:04am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've delved into this mod a bit deeper and think I now understand it. It should be simple enough to do without any special parts and seems a good idea.

On a standard unmodded early vehicle, the power feed into the AS10 used for the indicator lights is supplied from BJB Fuse 6, which also supplies power to the BBUS (if fitted) and/or Alarm Sounder (if fitted). I imagine that the vulnerability resulting from this is that if the thieves disable the BBUS (if fitted) then short out an indicator, then when the alarm is activated it will immediately blow Fuse 6 and in so doing disable itself. (I am speculating to an extent because I have not tried this, but I cannot see how else the exploit can work).

The modification disconnects the AS10 hazard power input from BJB Fuse 6 and instead connects it to CJB Fuse 31, the fuse used for the normal hazard light circuit. In the event that the alarm is activated with an indicator shorted out in this case, CJB Fuse 31 will presumably blow, disabling the hazards which will then not flash, but now when the fuse blows it will only disable the hazards and not also disable the power to the BBUS and alarm sounder.

As far as I can tell, this modification is only really of value if the vehicle is only fitted with an alarm sounder and doesn't make much difference if a BBUS is fitted, since the BBUS must still be knobbled first.

This is purely a theoretical conclusion based on an analysis of the circuit diagrams and if anyone knows otherwise I would be interested to hear (PM if you prefer).

If you want to do the LTB00386 modification yourself, simply cut the feed to the AS10 connector C0051 Pin 8 some distance from the connector, insulate and make safe the loom side of the cut, and extend the connector side of the cut to the hazard switch, splicing it into the feed wire for the hazad switch connector C0096 pin 2. This is all the TSB does.
Post #687831 20th Feb 2018 3:22pm
nitram17

You always make things very clear and simplified blackwolf.!Say you moved the bbus and relocated the power battery power cable to inside the truck....if you them short the indicators ....i assume the bbus will alarm?
Post #687839 20th Feb 2018 3:53pm
blackwolf

^ Thank you! Very Happy

You will appreciate that I haven't tried this so I cannot answer with absolute certainty, but as far as I can deduce shorting out the indicators will not deactivate the BBUS although it will deactivate the standard (i.e., non-battery-backed) alarm sounder. It will aslo deactivate the hazard flashers.

Cutting the feed from the battery to the BJB will also not deactivate the BBUS but would deactivate the standard sounder and the hazard flash feature.

To be more accurate, the act of shorting the indicators will actually do nothing at all until the lights attempt to flash, at which moment BJB Fuse 6 will blow and by so doing deactivate the hazard flash feature and the standard sounder. I think that the fuse blowing will also cause the BBUS to sound if it hasn't been previously disabled, but I haven't actually tested this (but I cannot see how it can fail to do this). Similarly cutting the feed to the BJB will also cause the BBUS to sound.

For obvious reasons I don't want to go into to much detail about the actions and the sequence of actions I think you'd have to take to steal a Defender, but what I will say is that if I were given a factory fresh Defender the absolute first thing I would do to beef up the alarm system is make sure that it had a BBUS fitted, and that it was fitted in a non-standard and inaccessible position, since I believe that this will give more protection than any other single alteration. Almost every attack method has to start with a BBUS disarm. Then I would do the LTB00386 modification and protect the battery-to-BJB cable, and also secure the bonnet and o/s wingtop insert.

I can feel a "p155 the neighbours off really badly" day coming on to try some of these things out!
Post #687864 20th Feb 2018 5:23pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have a theory, based purely on the number of reported and attempted thefts posted in our forums, and the theft of my own 2011 MY XS S/W, that it is the models without the standard fit BBUS that seem to be targeted most.
I'm not sure when the BBUS unit was fitted as standard, or indeed if it was fitted to all versions, but my later 2012 MY XS has one fitted, wheras the 2011MY did not. As blackwolf describes, if the indicators are shorted on a vehicle without a BBUS then when the alarm is triggered, the fuse blows and stops the hazards flashing and silences the standard horn. Scrote and his mate can then continue with the next stage of the theft, which as I understand it (and I believe it is no secret, hence I speak openly about it here) involves bypassing the factory fit immobiliser via the OBD port.

I also agree with Blackwolf that if you do have a BBUS fitted, one of the first things to consider is to relocate it away from the std fit location in the inner wing behind the passenger side headlight. I would also unclip the OBD port socket from the fuse box under the steering wheel and replace it with a dummy socket from a scrap vehicle. There are several posts on this, with a debate on the pros and cons of wiring the dummy up incorrectly. And/or making up a non standard connector. My view (perhaps naively) is that a realistic dummy which is un-powered is the best option as the thieves may just think it's their kit which is wrong. If you set out to fry their kit, they may get even madder and do more damage just for the hell of it.
Same logic on fitting a non standard socket. They will then know you are out to thwart them and could seek revenge.

In general, without turning your Defender into Fort Knox, the more security layers the better.
Post #687932 20th Feb 2018 9:46pm
nitram17

I personally think keeping the original obd port but swapping round a few wires is the way to go (obviously making a short loom to convert back when you need it)The theif cannot find the original if its hiding in plain sight.Anybody got a link to anybody selling the original obd port as molex dont make them anymore!
Post #687936 20th Feb 2018 10:06pm
blackwolf

It is also possible to fit an OBD port locking device in the socket and still shut the lid (just) on the Puma.
Post #687945 20th Feb 2018 11:04pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Without making things expensive or complicated it should be possible to insert a bank of SPDT switches between the ODBII socket pin 7 and the ECU. Wire them all in series but randomly reverse the connections so that you have to set them to the correct code before the OBDII port will work.

i.e. if you have 4 switches and your code is 1101 then switches 1, 2 & 4 need to be ON and switch 3 needs to be OFF to connect pin 7 to the ECU.

Mount the switches on a box in a location of your choice, wire it up then fill the box with black epoxy potting compound. It doesn't need to be highly accessible but ideally the input and output wires won't be easy to bridge with a croc clip jumper cable.

4 switches gives 16 possible codes, 5 switches 32 etc i.e. 2^n combinations where n = the number of switches.

Just another layer... Whistle
Post #687982 21st Feb 2018 10:27am
blackwolf

Probably not advisable for the CanBus though, since it is STP.
Post #688026 21st Feb 2018 1:40pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Over that tiny distance it should make no difference. Although the twisted pair would give away the CAN pair Confused  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #688030 21st Feb 2018 2:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>