↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Overland 110 Build from the Ground Up!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 11 123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
Defender_Td5

1991 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Stornoway Grey
Overland 110 Build from the Ground Up!
Hello All,

I have been on the forum for a few years now, as well the LR4x4 forum and the D44 forum (where this thread is also posted). I thought it was about time I started a build thread for my very own 110 Defender build, Chris Hill and Ian Woolley have also provided some encouragement toward me getting this done, so what the heck let’s start the story.

It all started in early September 2009, I was browsing ebay (as one often does) and came across a very sorry state of a 110 CSW with no engine, gearbox, roof etc (you get the idea). I was at the time Defender-less having sold my D90 to a friend from university because I was leaving the country for an unknown amount of time. However, due to things which were out of my own control I found myself back in the UK 6 months later with no Land Rover! I had always fancied a 110 and even more so, I had always fancied the idea of doing some serious traveling in said 110. So I took the plunge and bought the wreck (completely blind) for the pricey sum of £361! The listing promised a very good chassis, bulkhead and B-posts. The plan was to get it back to Devon, strip it, assess what I had purchased and then rebuild it exactly as I wanted .... an Overland 110.

I had already rebuilt from the ground up to original specification a 86" Series 1 (purchased at the age of 14 and kept me out of trouble during my teen years) followed later on by two Series 3s and my faithful Defender 90 (the I later sold to my uni mate). So I felt confident that I could tackle a 110 and more importantly had a nice 1400sqft workshop at my disposal to do it all in!

Once I got the truck back to Devon and began stripping what was left of the Landy down, it became apparent (as these thing often do) that I would need at the very least to repair the bulkhead quite extensively, that the B-Posts were shot, the chassis would require a new rear cross-member (though this was expected) and new engine mounts would also be needed for the 300Tdi Engine. It was at this point that the rebuild took a turn and I decided that if I wanted to have a vehicle that I could really, truly, rely upon, I would need to carry out some serious upgrades and make a commitment to building a nice, well prepared, go anywhere 110. The idea was to use as many mechanically controlled parts (engine choice being the main decision here) as possible to keep things simple should I have a problem miles away from anyone. The term fix it in a field with a spanner and a hammer was not overused.

So, using what was left I started the rebuild on the original 110 200Tdi chassis.

The basic the planned specification:

- Galvanized Chassis with Heavy Duty 3mm Td5 Spec Rear Cross-member
- New Galvanized Bulkhead (Original was repaired and sold on)
- New Late Front 110 Axle with Vented disk Brakes
- New Wolf HD Rear Axle
- Reconditioned Turner Engineering 300Tdi Engine with Turner Performance Cylinder-head
- Reconditioned Injection Pump
- New IRB VVT Turbo
- New Td5 Late Spec R380 Gearbox with 300Tdi Input Shaft and bell-housing
- New LT230 Transfer Box with 1.4:1 Ratio
- New HD 4 Core Radiator
- Old Man Emu Front and Rear Springs
- Old Man Emu Steering Damper
- Koni Heavy Duty Rally Track Raid Dampers
- Full Poly-bushed Suspension
- New 4 Bolt Adwest Power Steering Box
- Rest of the World 300Tdi wiring loom with Td5 Spec Gauges and Dash
- Rest of the World Rear Mounted Fuel Tank
- Retain CSW Body type, replace rear sides with the hardtop verity.

The following details are a record of what I have done to the Defender to get it to where I find myself right now (I am actually writing this from Australia...but I will explain the reasons for that later on!). I hope you enjoy reading this and I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Regards

Rob

Last edited by Defender_Td5 on 9th Oct 2014 10:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #363321 9th Oct 2014 10:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Defender_Td5

Here it is as purchased in early September 2009:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It even came with a tub full of stuff that went straight into the bin!

Click image to enlarge

Off the trailer, the strip-down begins:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It had a good coating of mud (protecting/hiding the chassis):

Click image to enlarge

Chassis looking a bit better/more viewable:

Click image to enlarge

New 300Tdi engine mounts tacked welded into place:

Click image to enlarge

The old bulkhead was lifted off after using it to position two new bulkhead outriggers, the engine mounts have now been welded on:

Click image to enlarge

Rear cross-member was cut off, then the whole lot was then taken outside to really clean it up and remove all the crud from inside the chassis ready for shot blasting and galvanising. Note un-safe/interesting way of up-ending the chassis! You can just see my Series 1 at the back as well:

Click image to enlarge

The new 3mm HD Rear Cross-member arrived:

Click image to enlarge

New Rest of World fuel tank and cradle:

Click image to enlarge

Two brand new, boxed axles (front pictured with QT Radius arms that went back after a change of heart).

Click image to enlarge

Regards

Rob

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #363324 9th Oct 2014 10:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Defender_Td5

Chassis with new rear cross-member welded on was shot blasted and galvanized by Wedge Group, Devon (I would recommend them), they do the galvanising to an offshore specification, so the zinc is very thick! You can also see the bulkhead laid out over the top of the chassis in this picture. Sorry about the picture quality, it was a quick phone snap:

Click image to enlarge

It was at this point that I took a trip up to Devon 4x4 and met up with Chris to talk through what I planned on doing with the Defender, what the budget was, what I needed right away and what I could order at a later date.

The following was purchased:
- 4 x Old Man Emu Springs
- 4 x Koni Dampers
- Stainless Steel Goodrich Brake Line kit
- Full D44 expedition Polybush kit

Around 95% on the nuts and bolts used on the build are stainless steel (basically all none-stressed fixings).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also, I had been busy sourcing some of the bodywork, a late Td5 Bulkhead turned up at the right time, plus a R380 seatbox and floor pan. I also got very lucky and managed to buy a complete ROW Spec 110 loom.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The chassis was modified for the later spec ROW 300Tdi fuel tank before it was galvanized:

Click image to enlarge

Then it got wheels and tyres! I have to admit (for reasons unknown to myself) that this picture below is still one of my favorites:

Click image to enlarge

Another view:

Click image to enlarge

Bulkhead back from being shot blasted and galvanized, it got a quick trail fit to make sure it wasn't distorted (it wasn't):

Click image to enlarge

Regards

Rob

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Defender_Td5 on 9th Oct 2014 10:05pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #363327 9th Oct 2014 11:01am
Defender_Td5

While the bulkhead was being sealed and painted it was time to start work on the seat box and floor pan. I used an aircraft grade paint stripper to strip the paint straight back to bare metal. It works by mixing two parts, painting it on thick and then the paint quite literally fails off after about an hour! It's strong stuff to say the least. Then you just wash it off with hot soapy water and then a final blast with the pressure washer and its good for paint prep.

Click image to enlarge

The bulkhead arrived back from being painted in Stornoway Grey, soundproofing was added and the wiring started:

Click image to enlarge

Seat box arrives back from painting, along with the floor pan and the rear seat box bulkhead:

Click image to enlarge

Underside of the seat box was extensively sound proofed:

Click image to enlarge

ROW Spec loom goes in:

Click image to enlarge

Rolled outside for a photo opportunity (this was mid April 2010), note the galvanized radiator surround and the fully dressed bulkhead:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The fuel line system fitted was a genuine Land Rover parts ROW spec one which is pretty similar to the run of the mill Td5 set-up. I plan on keeping the fine particle filter that's standard fitment in the 300Tdi engine bay as well (the first filter in the picture is a fuel sediment separator unit). I have also modified the front rear tub cross-member mount to allow wiring to be passed through for all the additional bits and pieces I plan on fitting later. The chassis loom was also ran on the outside to avoid any sharp bits of galv lurking on the inside of the box section.

Click image to enlarge

Rob.

Last edited by Defender_Td5 on 9th Oct 2014 10:06pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #363328 9th Oct 2014 11:10am
Defender_Td5

The thread continues:

It was at this stage in the build that the company I was working for decided that I needed to move up to sunny Aberdeen. This was initially a bit of a downer as I would be leaving the project at home in Devon for around 12 months.

On arrival, way up north, it was quickly established that my new boss was also a Land Rover nut! He owned two Series 3s in various states of repair. A deal was done and I could borrow some of his garage space to work on parts for the 110 in exchange for carrying out some welding on one of the Series 3 and some other work.

So next on the list was to source an engine. A nice 77,000mile 300Tdi was sourced from Glasgow for all the ancillaries (almost all ended up being replaced though) and a trip down to Glasgow and back in a day saw me with an engine to strip (truly sorry about the first picture it was taken in the back of my hired van on a camera phone!):

Click image to enlarge

A tasty reconditioned long block and performance head arrived in Aberdeen from Turner Engineering:

Click image to enlarge

The old engine was stripped and sent back to Turners:

Click image to enlarge

The injection pump was reconditioned:

Click image to enlarge

A heck of a lot of stripping, degreasing, cleaning and painting later saw the engine built up on the engine stand. I also upgraded the alternator to a 100amp one. All hose clips where replaced with new stainless steel one, new injectors, a new genuine PAS pump, a new genuine water pump, new cam belt kit and tensioner, a new flywheel (as the old one was cracked!). Also a new fuel lift pump and finally a new Garrett turbo for good measure!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I was then presented with the problem of having built the engine, it needed to be sent down to Devon to join the rest of the Defender. Driving it down in a hire van wasn't an option, so I decided to build a crate and send the whole lot down on a pallet (which the crate was obviously attached to!).

Some box section steel, an angle grinder and a welder plus some weatherproof chipboard and assorted fixings saw this come out of the garage:

Click image to enlarge

All packed up and ready, the top removed for the photo:

Click image to enlarge

Meanwhile, the gearbox and transfer box had been built by Hobson Bros, using one of the last of the Td5 Spec R380s with a 300Tdi input shaft and bell-housing and a reconditioned standard ratio Defender LT230 Transfer box (this photo wasn't mine!):

I then got sometime off work and returned to Devon for a mad long weekend to join the engine, gearbox+transfer box together, add the ROW Engine and gearbox looms and fit the whole lot into the vehicle:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This was the result:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

A Defender that now, started, moved and stopped all under its own power. Happy days all round:

Click image to enlarge

Regards

Rob

Post #363334 9th Oct 2014 11:30am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Defender_Td5... Rob

Thanks..., well done for posting, great to see a 'step by step', keep it up to the 'finish line'.

It looks well on the way to a really good example... Thumbs Up

SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #363343 9th Oct 2014 12:16pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Thumbs Up excellent
Post #363344 9th Oct 2014 12:19pm
Defender_Td5

Thanks for the replies!

Work then continued on the equipping the 110 for the planned future trips. A selection of goodies were purchased:

- Southdown rear fuel tank guard, with detachable tow bar mount and detachable rear recovery eye.
- ARB High output air compressor
- Genesis HD Split Battery Split charge kit
- HD Winch Battery Isolator
- Anderson Jump start plug
- Warn 2.5 Gallon Air Receiver tank and fitting kit.
- 35mm2 Start/Domestic Battery Cable
- Additional 6 Blade Marine Grade fuse box with busbar.

Initially the plan was to run the air receiver tank off the ARB compressor, but I have now purchased a WARN SPI compressor to fill the tank and will use the ARB as a back-up / driver for the difflocks when they are fitted. Here is a picture of the air receiver tank in place:

Click image to enlarge

The ARB compressor was mounted under the drivers seat in the auxiliary seat box space:

Click image to enlarge

Twin Battery installation completed with split charge relay, additional fuse box, HD Winch isolator and Anderson jump start output plug:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Southdown tank guard in place:

Click image to enlarge

More to follow!

Cheers

Rob

Post #363351 9th Oct 2014 12:35pm
Defender_Td5

Thought I would post up a full build specification, so here it is (items in red not yet sourced):

Overland 110 Build Specification:
Vehicle build based on 300Tdi Defender 110 Utility CSW. Rebuilt onto Galvanized Chassis, with Galvanized Bulkhead.

ENGINE & GEARBOX:
Turner Engineering Rebuilt 300Tdi with Performance Cylinder Head
IRB Developments - Turbo Techniques VVT Turbo
100amp Denso Alternator
Uprated 4 Core HD Radiator
Allisport “Drop-in” Intercooler
New Td5 Spec gearbox with 300Tdi Input-shaft and Bell-Housing
New Standard Ratio Defender Transfer Box

AXLES/BRAKES:
Stainless Braided Brake Lines
Uprated spring seats + retainers
Front Axle:
Ashcroft CVs + Half-shafts
Ashcroft front difflock unit

OME Steering Damper
Ashcroft drive flanges
Rear Axle:
Ashcroft rear difflock unit
Ashcroft Half-shafts
Ashcroft drive flanges

SUSPENSION:
Koni Heavy Track Raid Dampers
OME Springs
Devon 4x4 Overland Polybush Kit
Greaseable rear ball joint
HD 26mm Front and Rear anti roll bars

EXTERIOR:
O/S Undersill mounted FUEL Tank
N/S Undersill mounted WATER Tank
Protection and Performance External Roll Cage + Rear Ladder
Protection and Performance Snorkel with Pre-cleaner
Hannibal 110 Roof rack – mounted to cage
Jerry Can Holder + 2x 20L Jerry Cans – mounted to roof rack
Lightforce 170 x 4 Spotlights above windscreen – mounted from roof rack
Tie-Down Loops – mounted to roof rack
Roof tent – mounted to roof rack
2nd Spare Wheel Mounted direct to roof rack
LED Rear Mounted Work Light x 2 – mounted on rear roof
Mantec Swing-Arm Spare Wheel Carrier
Genuine Land Rover Silver Wing Top Chequer Plating
Shovel Mount + Shovel – mounted on wing
Southdown Fuel tank guard and Removable recovery
48” Hi-Lift jack mounted on roof rack
5 x Blindo 16inch Wheels
5 x BFG KM2 285/75/R16

OFFROAD PROTECTION/RECOVERY/SECURITY:
Devon 4x4 Winch Bumper
Warn 9.5Cti Front Winch
Warn SPI Air Compressor
Warn 2.5 Gallon Air Receiver Tank
ARB High output Compressor (Difflocks and Backup air source)
Devon 4x4 Roll Slides with Tree-guards
Sumo bars
Headlamp Protectors
Devon 4x4 Weld on front Diff-housing protector

ELECTRICS
Genesis Duel Battery System
2 x Exide Batteries on Devon 4x4 Tray
2 x Additional Fuse Boxes
Starter Battery Cut-Off Switch
2x Rear Cab Lights - LED
Heavy Duty Jump Leads with Anderson Quickplug connector

INTERIOR
Front:
Front seats re-trimmed with Exmoor Trim Outlast Fabric - fitted with seat heaters
Exmoor Trim lock box with 2 x 12V Chargers installed
Moulded matting system
Dash Mount for GPS/Phone Etc
2Kg Foam Mounted Fire Extinguisher
1 x Emergency break glass hammer
1 x Roof Mounted Map-reading Light

Rear:
Puma Tdci Sourced 60/40 Rear Seat re-trimmed with Exmoor Trim Outlast Fabric
Dog/Cargo Guard
Mobile Storage Systems Rear 3 Piece Security Screens
Mobile Storage Systems Lockable Storage Chest
Mobile Storage Systems Rear Pull out Draw
2 x 2Kg Powder Mounted Fire Extinguisher
Coleman Petrol Two Burner Stove
Engel MT45F Fridge 12v/240v with Slide Locker

3x Overland Storage Containers with Lashing Rails, Clips + Ratchet Straps
First Aid kit

That's enough for now I think! But more to follow....

Last edited by Defender_Td5 on 9th Oct 2014 10:08pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #363353 9th Oct 2014 12:45pm
X4SKP

Censored.... Thud... where are you planing to go Rob Question SKIP
Post #363358 9th Oct 2014 1:04pm
Defender_Td5

I am building this one to keep for a long, long time, so it's going to be built with longevity in mind. The Defender is currently here with me in Aus, so I think it would be nice to take a big trip around Australia to start with! Then who knows?! I really want to do the Northern Lights, but there is a whole lot of world in between.
Post #363365 9th Oct 2014 1:22pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Absolutely beautiful photos! Seal all the exposed metal properly and it will be with you forever Very Happy
Post #363369 9th Oct 2014 1:53pm
X4SKP

Great idea...

Hope you have a few $ in your budget for Security Exclamation
The UK can be a hostile place for Defender Ownership Evil or Very Mad

Good Luck SKIP
Post #363370 9th Oct 2014 1:54pm
jimbob7

Bow down Bow down Bow down
I wanna build mi 90 spec soft top like this.Shame you dint use the superior TD5 tho Whistle Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #363375 9th Oct 2014 2:36pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Bow down Bow down awesome rebuild!!!! 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #363403 9th Oct 2014 4:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 11 123 ... 91011>