↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Overland 110 Build from the Ground Up!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 11 <123 4 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
Defender_Td5

1991 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Stornoway Grey
Thank you for all the replies. Grab a cuppa...here is the next installment....

I left the UK in April 2011 and the Defender looked as you see it in the last few pictures, basically a drivable rolling chassis - but it needed some bodywork!

I managed to source a complete 110 County Utility Wagon body that was painted in a Land Rover Rioja red. Anyway, unfortunately all that paint had to come off, so it was busy with the paint stripper again or rather my bro stepped in at this point to help out while I was out of the country. A set of good Td5 spec front doors with electric windows and a set of equally good second row doors were purchased and stripped back to the bare frames, all four of the door frames were then shot blasted and galvanized (surprise, surprise). The rear door was purchased new and is the later one piece type so this was left as it was and joined the rest of the other panels as they all went to paint.

I then arrived back in the UK in early June 2012 with four weeks to try and build the truck and get it on the road. Now four weeks might sound like a while but with visiting family and friends this quickly dropped to more like slightly under 3 weeks! So the pressure was on.

First thing on the list was to move all the boxes from the house up to the barn, this took the best part of a day! There were probably around 100 + now.

The rear tub was then lifted on and some measuring and cutting started into to fit my post 2007 2nd row seats. It was quite a bit of work and also entailed changing the front tub support cross-member, but given the vehicles part built state this wasn't a problem.

Fitting the rear seats:

Click image to enlarge

Chassis to tub brackets for seat securing base plate:

Click image to enlarge

This is the post 2007 later style cross-member, you can also see the fuel sediment unit fixed in the same location as where the Td5/Tdci one goes:

Click image to enlarge

After I was happy with the tub and the seat fixing frames basic alignment, the tub finally went in, it had been on and off around 3 times up to this point. This was to enable me to work out where all the holes had to go and cut out the areas from the wheel arches for clearance. You can also see the wings in the background waiting to be assembled. You need some serious space to put together a 110 CSW!

Click image to enlarge

The Utility Wagon sides then went on, I was lucky with these as the chap who I purchased them off had, had them modified from county station wagon sides so they still had the rear quarter light window cut outs which I like. The windscreen surround was also bolted on and some very nice wheels and tyres arrived from D44, as well as a whole load of other goodies:

Click image to enlarge

Rear view shows the tub carpet in place, the lights wired up and one mudflap fitted! You can also see the “T” cut outs in the rear cross-member which are designed to take a Hi-Lift jack.

Click image to enlarge

The finished rear seats, these were re-trimmed in Outlast fabric to match the front seats and cubby box top:

Click image to enlarge

Another view:

Click image to enlarge

Wings were then built up:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

While the above was going on the four doors were re-skinned with the later style steel skins to avoid any dissimilar metal issues down the line. The black stuff around the door centre is 3M Panel adhesive – this stuff is seriously strong. I think Land Rover bond the skin in this area as well.

The other grey stuff is just normal seam sealer. The frames look black because they have been coated with T-Wash to allow the galvanized surface to take the paint. Hopefully with galvanized frames and electroplated skins, these doors should last a bit longer than the average Defender door!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Nice new shiny intercooler from Allisport arrived, the old one was just the get the vehicle up and running:

Click image to enlarge

Now, this picture doesn't look that different to a similar shot from earlier on. However, after a disastrous discovery that the so called "soundproof" matting that I had installed extensively throughout the vehicle turned out to be some kind of horrible bitumen based roof lining, I decided to remove all of it and replace it with some proper legitimate stuff that ended up being sourced from America, from a company called SecondSkin. This was a massive and costly mistake on my part, mainly due to not carrying out enough research (there are quite a few forums on the net with people showing that the “Fatmat” just falls off in any kind of heat or cold temperatures. As this vehicle is expected to see both extremes it had to come off really. Anyway, the bulkhead had to be completely stripped, the seat box stripped and removed and the front floor all taken up. I lost around two days to this, which on my tight timeline was quite a bit of time.

Click image to enlarge

While all the above was going on (there was a lot of multi tasking going on this build). The engine was pulled out, a HD Defender 130 clutch was installed, a new timing cover was fitted (I needed a new viscous fan belt idler bearing) and a Variable Vane Turbo from IRB Developments was bolted on.

Here's some of the new, proper soundproofing:

Click image to enlarge

The interior area around the footwells and behind the dash was also stripped of all "Fatmat" and then replaced with a similar style product to what was applied to the outside of the footwells and engine bay, but it is finished in black rather than bare aluminum.

Click image to enlarge

With the sound proofing sorted, the engine could go back in, the wings could go on, followed by the roof! Progress was being made at last:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have more pictures to up-load; I'll be back soon!

Cheers for reading if you made it this far.

Rob

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Defender 300Tdi 110 Utility Wagon ROW Overland
Series 1 86"
Post #363698 10th Oct 2014 11:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigM

Kenya 1985 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Bonatti Grey
You bet we do. I vote this best story and presentation in a long long time.
Thanks for the effort.
Post #363708 11th Oct 2014 12:41am
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
This is fantastic, well done on your perseverance in quality, btw are the utility sides 88" series 3 sides? Hoping to do the same on a 110 CSW I've just bought.
Keep it up, lets see more!

Cheers. Alex
Post #363713 11th Oct 2014 1:33am
Defender_Td5

Hi Alex,

Yes, Series 3 88" sides will fit your 110 CSW. I considered going down this route myself, however the utility body turned up at the right time.

More pictures and info to follow! Thank you all again for all of the replies.

Cheers

Rob Defender 300Tdi 110 Utility Wagon ROW Overland
Series 1 86"
Post #363715 11th Oct 2014 4:05am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Defender_Td5

Right then on with the build!

The second row floor was painted in Stornoway Grey and the underside was given a good coat of black underbody paint and then covered with heat reflective soundproof matting. The gasket running around the edge is EPDM foam sealing strip.

Click image to enlarge

The headlining was fitted (with more sound proofing underneath) and the same was done to the utility sides, these were then covered with a layer of much thicker matting as well to finish them off. The black sealant around the edges was to seal the frame to the aluminum skin. You can also see the internal window guards all fitted in place:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The rear inside of the tub was shaping up nicely; here is it before installation of the rear storage draw arrangement.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It was a big day, but I finally managed to get the remaining four doors on the truck and the Mantec rear wheel carrier fitted. The tinted rear windows were supplied by Masai Parts:

Click image to enlarge

The puddle on the floor is where I filled up the windscreen washer bottle and bled the system through!

Click image to enlarge

A few pictures showing the insides of the doors and how the soundproof matting was added. This has made a big difference to the Defender door shut noise, transmission of road noise and it doesn't interfere with the electric window winders either. All the door frames were injected with Waxoyl at this stage as well as a further rust prevention effort:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Here is the interior almost done. Fitting the front soundproof matting was not fun as it is so thick and seriously strong, makes it difficult to cut with even a new Stanley knife blade. However if you use washing up liquid on the blade, it makes a big difference! Once all done though I do think it looks good.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The bonnet was fitted in place, a Warn 9.5CTI winch added and the rock sliders bolted up. I finally finished off the remaining bodywork with the addition of the small quarter panels located just behind the second row doors. A D44 steering guard was also added to complement the bumper.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I was running out of time now as I had to fly back to Australia, so the truck went off for it's MOT (having put the front number plate on). It passed first time; I was very chuffed to say the least. After 3 weeks of solid build time in the barn it had gone from a drivable rolling chassis with just the bulkhead in place to as you see it now. The Hannibal roof rack was added and that's pretty much as it was when I left the UK at the end of that trip back.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Here are a few underside shots:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

At this point there was still lots to do but the really hard work was now done. I had an external roll cage ready to be fitted, but I just didn't have the time to fit it myself, so it was arranged that the Defender would go up to Devon 4x4 to have the cage fitted as well as the snorkel. They would also carry out some other little jobs on the list that weren't completed.

Final few pictures before my departure from the UK.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

More to follow!

Regards
Rob

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Defender 300Tdi 110 Utility Wagon ROW Overland
Series 1 86"
Post #363725 11th Oct 2014 8:10am
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
Every defender enthusiast dreams of the budget and space to do this.

Enjoy it ! Smile
Post #363728 11th Oct 2014 8:35am
Craig

England 
Brilliant, I have just read this from start to finish, you've done an amazing job and I look forward to seeing more on your landrover.
Post #363751 11th Oct 2014 9:50am
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Congratulations, Rob! this is awesome and a great read to boot. Thumbs Up Bow down 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)
Post #363756 11th Oct 2014 10:31am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
exceptional build! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #363760 11th Oct 2014 11:06am
Dave

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Wow, better than a new vehicle Thumbs Up Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac"
Post #363761 11th Oct 2014 11:14am
dlks151

Scotland 
Congratulations on such an outstanding build, no corners cut Bow down Bow down Bow down
Post #363819 11th Oct 2014 7:00pm
Defender_Td5

Thank you for continual praise! I will endeavor to try to keep you all happy by continuing the write up....As one of the last posts stated the truck was heading off to D44 to have a roll cage, snorkel, roof rack support and lots of other jobs that I just didn't have the time to do before I had to leave the country for Aus again.

The following is a collection of pictures taken by D44 during their part of the build, all credit goes to Martin and Jake for doing a truly stunning job on the truck and I must say the care and attention taken by all the team at D44 is second to none!

Rear storage draw as fitted by me in the truck before it arrived at D44, this was a semi custom job built by Mobile Storage Systems, with black powder coated draws and matching checker plate. There is also a smaller storage chest with a pop up top located behind it:

Click image to enlarge

D44 Work:
Roll cage starting to be fitted on the rear most section of the truck:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Progress from the front:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rear roof access ladder:

Click image to enlarge

The roll cage bolts through the rear tub and passes down to rear chassis mounts:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Mid-mounting points for the cage:

Click image to enlarge

Rear speakers modified to allow the cage to pass through:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rear tub picture which shows part of the cut out that I had to make to allow the Puma 2nd row rear seats to mount correctly to a Tdi/Td5 rear tub and the aluminum infill:

Click image to enlarge

Rear Tdci dog guard fitted with some slight modifications to a non-Puma body:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Snorkel mount to pass through wing:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Protection and Performance Snorkel goes on:

Click image to enlarge

Breather pipes hole cut into wing top:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Finished: However, the cyclone top pictured here was later replaced with a larger diameter one as it was found that the smaller one was starving the engine of air and causing the intake hose to collapse under full boost.

Click image to enlarge

Waffleboard mount as made by D44:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Truck sees the light of day out of the workshop:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Front number plate mount:

Click image to enlarge

Some finished pictures:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hi-Lift Mount:

Click image to enlarge

Bigger Cyclone Top (I believe this one is 10 inches in Diameter):

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Genesis Battery Monitor Mount:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Final Vehicle:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And in good company with Dad’s 90:

Click image to enlarge

Cheers

Series 1 86"
Post #363861 12th Oct 2014 12:41am
BigM

Kenya 1985 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Bonatti Grey
Brilliant!
Post #363868 12th Oct 2014 6:33am
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Like others have said amazing build great to see
Thanks Very Happy Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #363869 12th Oct 2014 7:09am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #363870 12th Oct 2014 7:17am