↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Clutch, help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Guy Salmon are taking a look today, seems they listened and took note of the splined shaft greasing I mentioned on the advice of Blackwolf.
Post #355559 4th Sep 2014 11:50am
custom90

United Kingdom 
They called back, mentioned there is a slight main seal oil leak.
That could have added to it but due the age age of the clutch being the original and 7 years old, myself and themselves have decided to press ahead with the clutch change.
They said they could drive it to double check and better diagnose but ultimately with the symptoms it still seems the clutch perhaps aided by a little oil spray.
Post #355603 4th Sep 2014 2:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Deleted.
Post #355604 4th Sep 2014 2:57pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A minor leak from the crankshaft main oil seal seems to be extremely common on the TDCi and, provided that it is minor, doesn't really seem to be an issue. It is not at all unusual to see a weep of oil from the bell-housing drain slot.

Provided the leak is small, it doesn't seem to get on the clutch. However, if you're having the clutch replaced anyway then I would suggest that it is worth getting the seal sorted at the same time since the additional cost will be relaatively small.
Post #355634 4th Sep 2014 5:17pm
munch90

England 
the rear main oil seal is not like a normal double lipped oil seal , there a horrible hard plastic thing in moulded in a metal plate

like its been said quite often have a little oil round them anyway

if the oil is running down then yes replace , but they are easy to cock up when fitting as the sealing edge has very little movement , you normally get a fitting tool (plastic ring) with a new seal to help lining it up

very very rare oil will get on the clutch plate from a rear main seal

did the clutch start slipping bad when it went ?
Post #355637 4th Sep 2014 5:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The seal will be replaced.
It was slipping bad but intermittently , I didn't drive it to destruction / let it get to the stage that it failed completely.
I think what they are saying is that the oil may have aided it in it's slipping, however due to the age it most likely needs replacing anyway.
I was aware myself there was a slight leak but personally I think the clutch it's self is the issue.
I've had some judder in 1st and reverse for a little while but not severe.
I was just driving home one evening and there was lots of slip, I.e, in gear and no drive for a few secs until it gripped.
I knew what the problem was hence why I didn't keep driving it, I do think it would have failed completely given enough time.
I'm hoping it will be sorted by midweek latest, they had it in today and I think they are doing it tomorrow.
Yet to hear about the flywheel which cost wise is what I'm a bit concerned about.
BUT as mentioned before it's not something that you want opened up too often because the massive labour cost..
I knew straight away there was a big problem because like us all we know our Defenders so well.
Post #355661 4th Sep 2014 7:01pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Anyway the jist of the convo was, they notified me of the slight leak and gave me two options:
1) A technician can drive it to see what happens and make a diagnosis of the outcome.

2) Press ahead with the clutch change anyway which seems most likely the issue.

The issue was discussed a fair while and they asked me what the symptoms were and where it happened what gears etc.
After that they tended to agree with me that it certainly was clutch slip, an issue that was nipped in the bud early so to speak before it got severe.

Will report back soon.

Thanks one again to Munch for the views and especially Blackwolf for the advice that had been most useful.
Post #355663 4th Sep 2014 7:06pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Quote:
Yet to hear about the flywheel which cost wise is what I'm a bit concerned about.

I can relate to that Big Cry

With regards to the rear main oil seal, my 200Tdi has had a persistent leak from there ever since I got her and I had been waiting for the clutch to go so I could replace it. 200's are very prone to them going and so it made sense to do it while the clutch was being done.

I would strongly recommend you doing it as apart from anything else - its already apart so the labour is effectively half a hour to whip the flywheel off, do the seal and reassemble, rather than half a hour to do that, along with hours spent dropping the box's and props etc

If your not already having it done, also see if you can get the slave cylinder done at the same time as will give you further piece of mind.
Post #355694 4th Sep 2014 8:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Heard back, flywheel is in good condition and not needed to be changed.
The slave cylinder and clutch fluid etc will be changed along with bearings and main oil seal.
Rear diff leak also to be sorted at the same time. Inc new seal and oil etc.
Have asked them to take some photos which should be good.
I'm stung for £1300 though... Big Cry
But I know it's sorted for a long time and the mileage I do the new clutch should sort me out for the next 4 years at least.
The rear diff leak was meant to have been fixed anyway elsewhere. Rolling Eyes

Expensive yes, but I now have peace of mind at least and know it's knowledgable mechanics.
Splined shaft also greased and in good condition.
Shall be glad to have it back, life with out a Defender is awful!
Post #355871 5th Sep 2014 12:49pm
munch90

England 
they haven't got a choice weather to replace cyl or not as its a concentric bearing and cyl in one unit
Post #355875 5th Sep 2014 12:54pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Thumbs Up

Good News!!

£1300 sounds about right to be honest but It doesn't take the sting out the tail Neutral

At lest you have piece of mind and a years warranty on it Thumbs Up

My flywheel has apparently arrived and should be being fitted as I type so all being well I should be reunited tonight! Can't Wait! Very Happy Very Happy
Post #355878 5th Sep 2014 12:57pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Munch - My apologies I don't know that, either way I'm glad the rear diff seal will be sorted too.
Post #355883 5th Sep 2014 1:15pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Got her back today. Very Happy Will have a look at what's been done soon, feels really different and the bite is MUCH lower!
Post #356497 8th Sep 2014 4:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Here's the bill line up and parts fitted:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As you can see the rear diff was leaking quite a bit, new flange fitted there also.
Free health check done and brake fluid changed too I think.
Could have had the service done too but the price would be a bit much in one go!
It's a lot but 2yr parts guarantee and 1yr labour warrantee is very confidence inspiring, prices for parts are good IMO too especially seeing as this includes the rear diff leak too.
Feeling a bit weird right now where it's new and the clutch bite is much lower, it's settled more as I've driven it and the brakes feel much improved too.
Very pleased with the work and the drive despite the cost.
Post #356523 8th Sep 2014 5:56pm
amondeggs

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Woodcote Green
Have been following with interest,

Pleased you have it back and that your happy Thumbs Up

Currently have mine in bits in the garage Evil or Very Mad took it all apart on sat to find reason for some unwanted symptoms.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now just need to find the source of the problem, I really hope it's the flywheel and not the crankshaft???
Post #356584 8th Sep 2014 8:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>