↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Towing options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
AWOL

Towing options
After a couple of months lurking, and finding a wealth of knowledge here, finally got round to registering.

~20 years ago I sold my Landy (a SIII 88 SW) and am finally back in a position in which I can ditch the 3-box saloon and get back in a Land Rover. Very Happy

I'm a the fortunate position of being able to spec one from new before production ends and am in the process of trying to decide what to go for (110 SW). I think I've got most things straight in my mind, apart from towing.

The vehicle's going to be used for towing most weekends for the warmer six months of the year (plus perhaps the odd run in winter). I also want a decent rear recovery point (not planning any serious off-roading but, from experience with my SIII, you never know when these things might be needed)

In an ideal world, I'd go for one of the 2" receivers, tow bar, plus billet/shackle but they're not UK type approved? Bit concerned that if anything bad were to happen insurance company might use it as an excuse to weasel out of paying out.

As far as I can see this leaves me with two options:

1) Step bumper (with tow bar) + cross member mounted recovery point - I've read various things about the steps rusting and the ball seems high?
2) Adjustable towing bracket + ball/pin - bracket seems to hang very low?

Can anyone comment on the pros/cons of each? Are there other options I should consider?

I was also hoping that someone might be able to do me a favour? It'd be really useful to know the ball height of the step bumper/tow ball combination but haven't found one to measure... can anyone here help me out with this?

Thanks in advance!
Post #278204 31st Oct 2013 7:56am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I use the adjustable find it very useful. Easy to set level when towing different trailers.

The step mounted one looks great. But us very high even more so if your getting a 110.

I use a ball and pin Dixon and bate. So there's not a lot I can't tow.
Post #278220 31st Oct 2013 8:54am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Yeah if I were you if go for an adjustable towing bar and ball/jaw (like this http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?...582127052)

And lucky you in the position you are!

Maybe a remap to help with the towing too? Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #278225 31st Oct 2013 9:28am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've had the genuine adjustable tow bar on my last two 110s with a Dixon Bate hitch (swop to a NATO on a spare slider if needed) and I find it the best set up. Thumbs Up John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #278244 31st Oct 2013 11:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you tow a variety of trailers then there is nothing at all better than the Dixon-Bate adjustable arrangement. Different heights and different couplings are a doddle.

The bottom of the bracket is possibly a bit low, and if you offroad you'll get used to the "thud" as it grounds, but in 30+ years of using them including extensive off-road I have never had any problems.
Post #278248 31st Oct 2013 11:49am
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Same as everyone else above

Adjustable droplate

6 bolts and it off

California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #278257 31st Oct 2013 12:49pm
AWOL

Cheers guys - looks like the adjustable is the way to go (and good tip about having a spare plate!).

This appears to be dealer fit option (and I'm assuming electrics aren't included in the price?) - does anyone know roughly how much fitting is likely to be (or is it normally thrown in)? From posts on here the bar itself looks like an easy DIY job, but routing the electrics looks to be a bit of a PITA.

As for being lucky... couldn't agree more. Never been in a position to factory order a vehicle before so really looking forward to getting exactly what I want this time. Smile
Post #278258 31st Oct 2013 12:53pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
There was a post on here, in the last few days about finding the plug to connect up the electrics,, easy job

Whole lot can be fitted under the hour

As my bar comes off regularly, i have fitted the electric socket into the crossmember,, save's removing it when taking the bar off California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #278260 31st Oct 2013 12:59pm
foxkilla

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Auto Tonga Green
This is my solution for an adjustable tow ball.

Click image to enlarge
 DEFENDER XS UTILTY 110 AUTO

ONLY ACCURATE GUNS ARE INTERESTING
Post #278262 31st Oct 2013 1:09pm
rover

United Kingdom 
From my experience with the 110 2.2 you will definately need a remap for towing. In the lower gears torque is restricted and makes the whole driving experience hard work. My old TD5 was much better in first and second.
Problem with the remap is it will void the warranty and you can not get a switchable one at the moment so to be on the safe side you need two ECU's. Sorry to put a dampener on things.

What are other peoples experience with the 2.2 and torque in lower gears, I must admit the 110 I had on the land rover experience was much smoother and seemed more powerful then mine. It has crossed my mind whether the land rover experience defenders have had a mild remap.
Post #278263 31st Oct 2013 1:10pm
AWOL

foxkilla wrote:

Click image to enlarge

I think I've seen similar before - leaving the ball in, it looks like it protrudes a good way from the back of the vehicle?

TJ101 wrote:
There was a post on here, in the last few days about finding the plug to connect up the electrics,, easy job

Whole lot can be fitted under the hour

As my bar comes off regularly, i have fitted the electric socket into the crossmember,, save's removing it when taking the bar off

I'll look that one out. The one I saw seemed to suggest it was a several hour job... and socket into the crossmember looks neat.

As for remap, I think it'll probably be a case of seeing how it goes at first. Always a little reluctant to go down that route, especially until a map's been in use for a good while (which I'm not sure they will have been for these?).
Post #278267 31st Oct 2013 1:43pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
AWOL wrote:
Cheers guys - looks like the adjustable is the way to go (and good tip about having a spare plate!).

This appears to be dealer fit option (and I'm assuming electrics aren't included in the price?) - does anyone know roughly how much fitting is likely to be (or is it normally thrown in)? From posts on here the bar itself looks like an easy DIY job, but routing the electrics looks to be a bit of a PITA.

As for being lucky... couldn't agree more. Never been in a position to factory order a vehicle before so really looking forward to getting exactly what I want this time. Smile

It' fairly easy to fit and with correct loom the electrics are straight forward. Mine electrics were fitted as part of the deal with a rear step tow bar as I thought I'd try that. I sold the tow step after a short time and fitted the adjustable kit from my old 07 as the step didn't give me the same flexibility. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #278268 31st Oct 2013 1:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sonarmender

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
No remap and a big twin axle caravan, no problem, infact it pulls like a train Thumbs Up You only have one life, live it....forget the cost.
90XS Hardtop
Post #278269 31st Oct 2013 2:02pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
foxkilla wrote:

Way too low if you ever need to tow an ex-military trailer fitted with a 76mm NATO lunette though.

The best place for the socket (assuming that you only need one) is the recess in the crossmember, which is provided for ... let me see.... ah yes, the trailer socket!
Post #278271 31st Oct 2013 2:10pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Why adjustable? Are you going to be towing a variety of trailers? The only thing I tow is a two-tonne boat on a twin axle trailer, on a standard towbar the centre of the ball of a Dixon Bate towball and jaw is 50cm/20” off the ground with the vehicle unladen, possibly a bit high for a small trailer but perfect for me.

And the electrics? Although my boat trailer is only 7-pin, I’ve a 13-pin on the truck; better to go for the more “modern” installation and use a 13 to 7 adapter.

Peter
Post #278272 31st Oct 2013 2:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>