↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Top Gear Defender 'review'......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Nitroneil

Scotland 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Also Harris whinged about the window not dropping completely into the door - if he had been reading this forum he would have found out how to reset it! Rolling with laughter I checked mine this afternoon just in case, and the two front ones certainly drop right into the door (and they come back up again too!)

Lol, I was shouting at the TV, its just not set right.

I also think the car was sitting in the loch with the engine running. When he climbed in all of the dashboard was lit up as if running. 90S D250 fuji and loving it.
Post #894729 29th Mar 2021 6:21pm
Tim in Scotland

The Wade sensing alarm sounded like it was pining quietly in the background too! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #894743 29th Mar 2021 7:01pm
AndyT66

England 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Another pointless top gear episode of stupid stunts and challenges. What was the point of the guys being towed on some metal skates. Incredibly dangerous. The scenery was the best part.
Post #894768 29th Mar 2021 8:19pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
One fleeting glimpse into the boot of the G-wagon also showed it was full of spare wheels and tyres......

Top one was a Pirelli ATR, looked like the lower one was a road tyre. Also looked briefly like the Mrec was on ATRs when it got stuck.
Post #894782 29th Mar 2021 9:17pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Nitroneil wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Also Harris whinged about the window not dropping completely into the door - if he had been reading this forum he would have found out how to reset it! Rolling with laughter I checked mine this afternoon just in case, and the two front ones certainly drop right into the door (and they come back up again too!)

Lol, I was shouting at the TV, its just not set right.

Please enlighten me, mine sits just proud like the one in Top Gear! I never noticed until he pointed it out. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #894788 29th Mar 2021 9:41pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Embarassed
Post #894791 29th Mar 2021 9:54pm
Tim in Scotland

Conclusion in Vern’s thread about the window reset was..... take it to the dealership and they can do it as nothing from the iguide or online owner manual worked
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic77207-15.html Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #894795 29th Mar 2021 10:06pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
AndyT66 wrote:
Another pointless top gear episode of stupid stunts and challenges. What was the point of the guys being towed on some metal skates. Incredibly dangerous. The scenery was the best part.

Think you’ve majorly missed the point there! It’s an entertainment show!!

I personally thought Chris Harris’ feedback on (and clear affection for) the new defender was encouraging

He may not have talked lots about the off road settings but you’ll see when he was climbing the hill that he had Configurable TR open on the screen - he does know his stuff if anyone follows his reviews/opinions elsewhere Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #894816 29th Mar 2021 11:23pm
AndyT66

@Cheshire 110 I haven't missed the entertainment point. I stand by my comment that the metal skate stunt was pointless and incredibly dangerous for the guys. That wasn't entertainment for me. Just plain stupid.
Post #894817 29th Mar 2021 11:44pm
SN

^^^ and you don't think they organised that with the most careful H&S setup you can imagine. FFS Rolling Eyes

You most definitely have missed the point Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #894818 29th Mar 2021 11:51pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
AndyT66 wrote:
@Cheshire 110 I haven't missed the entertainment point. I stand by my comment that the metal skate stunt was pointless and incredibly dangerous for the guys. That wasn't entertainment for me. Just plain stupid.

Top Gear’s been around for 30 series now - in that time they’ve thrown minis of ski jumps, launched a reliant Robin with a rocket, crossed the channel in homemade amphibious cars and the rest! If you were expecting 60 mins of sober motoring consumer advice then yes - you’ve missed the point!

As for the safety, they were in full motorbike leathers and the BBC is famous for its H&S… I’m sure they wouldn’t have done it if they weren’t 100% confident it was safe.

Anyway; don’t mean to argue but I think you need to bear in mind what Top Gear is - a family entertainment show! No problems if you didn’t find it entertaining (and I personally much preferred the old episodes). All things considered I really enjoyed their thoughts on the defender and the others, and as always brilliantly shot and produced. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #894819 29th Mar 2021 11:57pm
AndyT66

@SN there is no need for the ffs terminology is there?as I say everyone is entitled to an opinion. Mine is, if their legs gave way it wasn't going to be good. H&s is there for a reason.
Post #894820 29th Mar 2021 11:58pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I managed 20mins, the longest of top gear since the real three left...rubbish this programme and those presenters

That said, h&s is not there to stop doing things, but to make activities as safe as reasonably practical. It’s also well known you technically only ever risk shunt not risk remove...humans that have risks removed just do more silly things because they either expect to be safe or more likely seek a thrill.

I’m sure the stunt was perfectly fine for a tv show, no worse than many other things and probably a lot safer than the usual winter antics etc Mike
Post #894821 30th Mar 2021 12:46am
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
I thought it was ok and nice to see the defender , it’s a tv program Thumbs Up I’m guessing everyone has a remote for there tv ? There is a button on there that you can change channels or turn it off if your really didn’t like the program a little bit Whistle Rolling Eyes Laughing

Well pasty packed and off to work Very Happy
Post #894840 30th Mar 2021 7:21am
Nitroneil

Scotland 
One thing that majorly impressed me was how smooth that runway was 👌 90S D250 fuji and loving it.
Post #894851 30th Mar 2021 8:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>