↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Top Gear Defender 'review'......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Top Gear Defender 'review'......
Watched the less than objective Top Gear review of the Defender last night. The outcome was correct but told me little else Laughing

One thought, if the Defender was 'parked' in water to its maximum wading depth, why did the exhaust not fill with water and create issues? I have always thought the engine needs to keep running if the exhaust was submerged?

Anyway liked the silver and white steels on the 90 and hated the Merc! 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #894612 29th Mar 2021 8:12am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Was out voted for Home Alone 2, so need to catch up with Top Gear.

I guess with YouTube there is no point having a proper car review on Top Gear. Always frustrates me to the point I don't really bother watching religiously. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #894615 29th Mar 2021 8:40am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
The 'Dads car' episode I thought was great, Really enjoyed that,

As for a proper review... your never going to get that from Top Gear, I do however like these 3 lads (Can 47 plus yr old men be called lads..)

The test last night was useless, even when the Defender got 'Stuck' as Chris seemed to do a Clarkson.... 'Pooowweeerrrr' to try and get up, no mention of the off road 'pack' settings etc.

Given that the RWD car actually did very well it was hardly a 'test'

What did surprise me was how big the Defender looked as the show went off parked near the 'G', The 'G' was probably on comfort access mind...

ooh and no Heated wheel in the 'G' £157K and they didn't tick that box.

Still enjoyed it,
Post #894616 29th Mar 2021 8:49am
Tim in Scotland

At the end of the show the G-wagon was a black one not a red one as used in the filming........ I wonder if Paddy’s “air” session caused more damage to the car than just the ripped off front lip spoiler and front bumper damage......
One fleeting glimpse into the boot of the G-wagon also showed it was full of spare wheels and tyres..... I suppose it was the only car there that had a big enough boot to carry more than a couple of carrier bags of shopping. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #894619 29th Mar 2021 8:57am
SN

They often have a 'different example' back in the studio after a film, I wouldn't necessarily read that as the red one got broke.

Anyone looking for a proper review of the new Defender will not have got much from this programme - better to go watch the hundreds of YT videos on the subject to be honest.

The thing is that Top Gear don't do proper reviews any more, its an entertainment show where three blokes lark around doing blokey things (apologies to the ladies reading this but I think you know what I mean) around cars.

And in that respect they achieved their aims very well last night (and in the Dad's Cars episode)

Whilst my missus generally turns her nose up at car based stuff, she does watch Top Gear and enjoys it - this show a bit more than usual because I had a stream of "Oh its only got two doors!", "Is your's like that?", "Is your's coming with one of them?" and "Does yours do that?" comments alongside the chuckles.

A bit disappointed there's only one more in the Series - that will only be four for this series, the lowest ever. And with the Clarksons, Hammond and May's Grand Tour only putting out one 'long film' a year, i'm feeling a bit starved of this stuff now.

Might have to go find the "Disco 3 up a mountain" episode from 15 years ago on YT... Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #894624 29th Mar 2021 9:19am
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Anyone recognise more of the locations for this after the Ardnamurchan peninsula, Oban/North Connel airport and Glencoe? 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #894682 29th Mar 2021 3:05pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
At the end of the show the G-wagon was a black one not a red one as used in the filming

The “red” one was actually a silver one with a wrap.
Post #894685 29th Mar 2021 3:19pm
oop north

United Kingdom 
I saw a snorkel on the defender - hence no problem being parked in 90cm of water

Click image to enlarge
Post #894686 29th Mar 2021 3:23pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I think the red / Silver one may have needed some under carriage work after the first descent at the speed he hit the bottom.

Looked a bit scuffed and the trim bit fell off so would not be surprised if that caused more damage on bits we didn't see,
Post #894687 29th Mar 2021 3:31pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
The snorkel doesn’t increase the wading depth - it’s supposedly set where it is because they start to float in deeper water.
Post #894689 29th Mar 2021 3:41pm
Tim in Scotland

Also Harris whinged about the window not dropping completely into the door - if he had been reading this forum he would have found out how to reset it! Rolling with laughter I checked mine this afternoon just in case, and the two front ones certainly drop right into the door (and they come back up again too!) Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #894695 29th Mar 2021 4:24pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
SN wrote:
They often have a 'different example' back in the studio after a film, I wouldn't necessarily read that as the red one got broke.

Anyone looking for a proper review of the new Defender will not have got much from this programme - better to go watch the hundreds of YT videos on the subject to be honest.

The thing is that Top Gear don't do proper reviews any more, its an entertainment show where three blokes lark around doing blokey things (apologies to the ladies reading this but I think you know what I mean) around cars.

And in that respect they achieved their aims very well last night (and in the Dad's Cars episode)

Whilst my missus generally turns her nose up at car based stuff, she does watch Top Gear and enjoys it - this show a bit more than usual because I had a stream of "Oh its only got two doors!", "Is your's like that?", "Is your's coming with one of them?" and "Does yours do that?" comments alongside the chuckles.

A bit disappointed there's only one more in the Series - that will only be four for this series, the lowest ever. And with the Clarksons, Hammond and May's Grand Tour only putting out one 'long film' a year, i'm feeling a bit starved of this stuff now.

Might have to go find the "Disco 3 up a mountain" episode from 15 years ago on YT...

I share your view. I enjoy Top Gear and the Defender piece was no exception. 3 things stuck out for me. Firstly I would have liked to have seen the Defender catch some air like the G-wagon but fear it would have been totalled and reckon Harris thought the same. Secondly, I really want a go in a Nomad. That thing looks like so much fun. Lastly, seeing the evolved G-Wagon alongside really rammed home how badly LR missed the point with the Defender. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #894717 29th Mar 2021 5:16pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
The Defender is massively stiffer then the G Class, there are plenty of videos of them doing ill-advised jumps - the suspension is designed for a 7 tonne vertical load. Also remember Harris has his own G, so he’s unlikely to be particularly biased in favour of the Land Rover.
Post #894721 29th Mar 2021 5:28pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I didn't say he was biased, I just think he was being extremely careful as he didn't want to write it off. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #894723 29th Mar 2021 5:36pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Why would it be written off? The Bond jump cars were essentially standard but for bump stops and safety stuff.
Post #894727 29th Mar 2021 6:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>