↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > US competition will be Jeep Wranglers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Morepower

New Zealand 
The 500L is completely different from the Panda 4x4... Which is actually what they base the jeep Renegade on... However it's definitely not a Defender...
Regards the new Disco etc etc, LR are chasing the money with a strategy that's based on soft roaders of various price brackets for people who want to think that they could scale the side of a mountain until they broke a nail that is.....
LR will not re-enter the commercial market, That's a definite... Their not interested... They will try and sell as many "lifestyle" vehicles as they can... Honestly... a new Range Rover maybe able to go anywhere... Well until one of the sensors cries enough and sits the air suspension on the floor... And honestly... who in their right mind who off road a 100K vehicle... unless you can afford to write the thing off and buy another on monday..

Just my 2p

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #590300 5th Jan 2017 12:35am
Lateralus

United States 
I own a 2014 2 door wrangler but would love a chance to buy a new Defender competitively priced. I would not be interested in a new Defender if it barely resembled the last production model though. People who buy jeeps and defenders want a rugged vehicle. They want a vehicle that looks and acts the part so to speak.

What's amazing (in the US) is that ford hasn't countered with a bronco or Toyota hasn't countered with a modernized fj40 etc. Chrysler sells wranglers like crazy since they've put better engines and transmissions in them and added the four door to the lineup. The resale value on the jeep wrangler in the US is about the highest of any other vehicle. It's ridiculous.

Last I read the new wrangler can't accommodate the 8 speed auto. There is supposed to be a pickup model though this year or next. I also read they will be making the body more curved with the grill and windshield for better aerodynamics. I am not too thrilled with that idea. I believe 2018 will be the next platform for the wrangler.
Post #590303 5th Jan 2017 5:30am
Brucemknx

Australia 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Caledonian Blue
The 2016 results have been released for new car sales in Australia. Land Rover is up by 14%. Jeep has dropped by a whopping 48.3%. Maybe Land Rover knows what they are doing after all, despite the protests from we loyalists.

But the highest selling vehicle in Australia for 2016? Hilux. First time a "commercial" vehicle has topped the sales charts. It may point the direction the new Defender is heading. And that wouldn't be a bad thing.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/511197/2016-vf...-detailed/
Post #590306 5th Jan 2017 6:39am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Thing is, if there's a market for the new Defender as a rugged vehicle (and we all think there is) why haven't other companies jumped in with a world 4x4? Why hasn't Ford? Why hasn't JCB?
Post #590476 5th Jan 2017 7:01pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
custom90steve wrote:
Main thing that puts me off Wranglers is autobox, not a fan.
Large engines are okay, but you pay at the pump.

But as I said autobox is the main thing I'm not a fan of.

G wagons are okay, but A, they are German. B, they cannot be compared to a Defender at £82k - £130k.

At least the Wrangler has kept its heritage and doesn't look like a NASA lander like LR's new designs are starting to look like.

I liked the Disco 3, the Disco 4 even more. Then they went and ruined it..

The G-wagen is an awesome piece of kit, I think there is a professional version on the continent that we don't get in the UK sadly!

If they did do it in the UK.......and I had a pocket full of cash, I'd have one!

Chris
Post #590488 5th Jan 2017 7:33pm
spudfan

Ireland 
The Discovery,Range Rover and the proposed Defender replacement may well have the capability to be pretty competent off road but competence has to be matched with the ability to work or travel in the roughest of conditions routinely and without possible damage to sensitive sensors or equipment that could cause the vehicle to stop functioning. You could hammer a series Land Rover day in day out and not worry about sensitive equipment getting damaged. Newer vehicles I feel are being made more reliant on user friendly technology making them expensive to buy and repair. Who of the targeted market for the new Defender will even take it to the extremes of it's abilities? Maybe that is what Land Rover is counting on. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #590495 5th Jan 2017 7:51pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Chris86 wrote:

The G-wagen is an awesome piece of kit, I think there is a professional version on the continent that we don't get in the UK sadly!

If they did do it in the UK.......and I had a pocket full of cash, I'd have one!

Chris

You're spot on; there is and it is the 461 Professional (the 'civilian' version is the 463).

Awesome piece of kit and there are a couple of RHD ones in the UK, which were special ordered back in the early 2000s when Mercedes UK would sell you a G-Wagen as a special order purchase.

There was talk of bringing them back into the UK when the RHD G-wagon was reintroduced into the Merc UK line up in 2011 but it never materialised. I actually had a 2011 GB brochure where it was listed but I guess they changed their mind.
Post #590582 5th Jan 2017 11:17pm
Ramajama

United States 
What puddle? wrote:
Thing is, if there's a market for the new Defender as a rugged vehicle (and we all think there is) why haven't other companies jumped in with a world 4x4? Why hasn't Ford? Why hasn't JCB?

Whelp, Ford cant ignore the Wrangler success any longer and Ford is bringing back the Bronco. A lot of people think it will be a soft core model based on the Everest. Like LR cant soil the Defender name, Ford dare not soil the Bronco name. They are legendary in the US. Im a past Bronco owner and I certainly "get it". I think the new Bronco will be something hard core to compete with the Wrangler. Something smaller and very similar to their original Bronco. Maybe based off the Ford Troller. Its body on frame and its the perfect size. A little sheetmetal work to toughen it up and BAM! You got yourself a damn Bronco.

I think this market segment is fixin to get a lot more crowded of the next several years. Im looking forward to the new Defender. Although my wife and I are holding on to the LR love by a thread right now..I still have faith its going to be pretty awesome.
PS, please dont put air suspension on the Defender LR!! Smile

I dont think Trump will push for penalties on foreign cars like JLR, Merc, BMW, etc. I think penalties will be mostly aimed at domestic brands..or brands that already build in the US, who try to build outside of the US and then ship them back in. Thats the rub folks. Understand that. Anything else is just scare tactics and hand wringing.
Post #590598 6th Jan 2017 3:57am
Ramajama

United States 
spudfan wrote:
The Discovery,Range Rover and the proposed Defender replacement may well have the capability to be pretty competent off road but competence has to be matched with the ability to work or travel in the roughest of conditions routinely and without possible damage to sensitive sensors or equipment that could cause the vehicle to stop functioning. You could hammer a series Land Rover day in day out and not worry about sensitive equipment getting damaged. Newer vehicles I feel are being made more reliant on user friendly technology making them expensive to buy and repair. Who of the targeted market for the new Defender will even take it to the extremes of it's abilities? Maybe that is what Land Rover is counting on.

Yep, this has been our issue with the Discovery Sport. We are an active family and have used it to the max of it capability and versatility. Problem is, its just not reliable enough. It hasn't left us stranded, knock wood, and it doesnt have air suspension to fail on us....but it has given us check engine lights, coolant lights, various warning lights and a malfunctioning climate control...when we needed climate control the most...

Im just tired of sitting on pins and needles any time we drive it out of the city limits. We are about relegate it to what the majority of Land Rovers do best...run to the mall, back and forth to work, grocery store and running the kids around to practice and school. Its just not cut out as a lifestyle vehicle that can be counted on to get us to our adventures and back without issues.
We tried to buy something different from the norm and that compromised to fit all our needs. Its started off great but we have realized that we chose wrong. Probably should've got a Wrangler. It'll be in our hands for at least 24 more months so it think it best to keep the miles down. If we stay with LR, which in my heart of hearts Id love to, its going to be for a Defender...if its good enough.
Post #590599 6th Jan 2017 4:15am
dolomite

Toyota FT-4X
Post #614199 3rd Apr 2017 11:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12