↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Varta AGM G14 or Optima Yellow Top battery?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Devon44 had a good deal on Odysseys a couple of months ago, PC1500 £200 delivered Thumbs Up
Post #188775 27th Nov 2012 8:29am
chipmunk

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Oslo Blue
Somewhat reassured by reports of batteries lasting 11 years etc. Thought mine was superhuman, given that I've had my 03 TD5 90 for 6 years now and every winter wait for it to pack up. Never failed to start (yet)!! Can't see any makers' name on it so presume it's oe. Mind you I was brought up on Hillman Imps, Vivas, Minis etc. Just about a battery every 2years in those bygone days. Anyone know what they are supposed to last for?
Post #189219 28th Nov 2012 2:57pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Ok, well, cant keep out of it anymore Whistle

Some battery ranting

Most terms are used mixed and regardless of real construction parameters.
AGM, GEL, Deep Cycle, capacity, etc etc

AGM - GEL –WET
Status of the electrolyte

AGM: inside a glassfibre matting,
GEL: Gel status, not liquid
WET: just the liquid electrolyte

Wet has the disadvantage it will leak when upside down as the electrolyte is a pure liquid. The “plates” are nothing more than lead plates. In the mean time no leaking till 90° for short time solved by matrixes in the battery caps and the plates evolved to matrixed plates for bigger contact surface etc etc

Gel solved the leaking issues, still venting is necessary but the gell is not passing through the sintered filter openings. (eg optima) The disadvantage of gel is that it does not transfer charges as easily,(the gelling part of the formulation is not conducting) hence the need for spiral designs, which just means there is a bigger contact surface between the plates and the electrolyte. This resulted also in a better CCA, as this is directly related.(bigger surface can conduct more energy at same time) But as less active electrolyte per cubic the capacity of the same external volume of the battery is lower. (simply put there is more lead vs electrolyte in it, less electrolyte = less capacity + less electrolyte as the gelling agents are also taking part of the place)

AGM is the “new hot topic” but nothing more than an in-between. Instead of making gell you absorb the normal liquid in a matting. Less chance on leaking + clever venting matrix designs makes them quasi as safe as a gel type. Liquid instead of gel makes for better contact and charge exchange so capacity is up (a bit) and in case combined with a spiral design of the lead plates an even higher CCA than GEL.

(exclude variants)
(note that leaking is also related to gassing when charging, sealed batteries need a better controlled and at lower amp charging process as gasses cannot escape and would make the batteries explode under pressure build up. Also Optima has venting holes, AGM batteries also to allow for a faster charging spec (but still slower than an open battery))

Due to the bigger contact areas (and with the right charging systems) you can “deep cycle” the AGM and Gel better than a simple plate design.
Sulfurisation of the plates is also less an issue as you have more plate surface available. (sulfur on plates= no more conducting, 5% of a classic plate or 5% of a 10 times bigger spiral surface makes the plate is quicker to not charging anymore while the spiral will. It is the charging process that kind of auto-cleans the plates but you need a min current for that which the plates are not able to conduct anymore in that case)

But still, even on optima and others, this is a far cry from real traction batteries which are real deep cycle.

Deep cycling means discharging till 40% of charge. ALL batteries can do this but not all can recover from it. A real traction battery can take up to 3000 deep cycles, a GEL/AGM/ WET deep cycle or leisure battery up to 300, a normal classic lead acid 0 if lucky you’ll survive a couple.

So,if you want top level deep cycling, as you know you will run your batteries empty each and every time and you will only have the chance to charge them x time after that, go for sealed traction batteries. They will cost you 6 times more but you can expect 20 years from them in those conditions. (well, yes 10 years if you flatten them completely 300 times per year… and that is manufacturer guarantee)
You’ll need to build up your banks with individual 6 or 12V cells till you reach your desired capacity.

Now why all this explanation?

There is no reason to prefer GEL or AGM IF you do not have a leaking/positioning issue.

With a wet deep cycle battery you will get:
- normal CCA
- almost double capacity Ah (90 vs 55)
- 1/3 rd of cost
- identical deep cycle resistance

So people into competition that must run under any angle I completely support in their choice of AGM/GEL.

But for campers, overlanding or home warriors I do see a disadvantage in them and although I consider them though and good batteries a waste of money in those situations.

A 50Ah Gel battery will not run your fridge and webasto for 12 hours, even if after recovery the battery has enough juice to restart the systems and run for another hour the build in voltage detectors of your fridge and webasto will switch off after about 6-8 hours.

(not taking in consideration extreme temps/other users which makes things only worse)

With a wet cell you will run them 10-12 hours as you simply have 45% more Ah available.

It was a positive surprise to me to see that Landrover itself selected a deepcycle battery as oem and not a classic car starter battery. (see my previous post)

Another point which I consider important for me.
When putting 2 OEM (or varta’s) of equal type parallel as normal and AUX battery you don’t need a special charging system. When putting a wet and eg an optima in parallel you will never charge them correctly and this will lead to premature failure of the weakest of the two.
So you’ll need to put in a split charging device. (that is not a 100£ fancy battery separator as the national-luna etc, it is a separate charging system as found in marine applications or eg the CTEK one)
Or you’ll have to put in 2 optimas at once. Project cost immediately double and you’ll only have 2x50Ah instead of 2x90Ah. (both CCA enough for starting but the optimas will give in earlier, I guarantee, it's math)

I like equipment and the more the better but not if it is unnecessary.

To me all these batteries have their place and application. But I had too many friends asking me to help them out with constant empty optima’s blaming everything but not understanding that Ah was the only thing they needed in the first place and not the latest hype.

To make it a bit constructive and to answer the original question

1. Don’t deep cycle your batteries, it is an option only for extreme/emergency situations with anything but real traction batteries anyway.
2. Calculate you capacity needed, without that you’ll run out of juice with any type of battery
3. Consider your existing equipment, doesn’t make sense to make things worse.
4. Tune your equipment, right battery for right charging system etc
5. Count your coins as everything is possible and each approach has its pricetag

Respect above 5 and you’ll be a happy camper. Take a shortcut and you’ll put a weak link in the your system.

Friendly 2cents only Very Happy

PS: I have hands on experience with all types mentioned above except AGM’s. (But also studied their specs) in all different types of applications (stationary and mobile)
Post #189242 28th Nov 2012 4:42pm
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Thanks! Great info tatra805! Thumbs Up Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #189253 28th Nov 2012 5:22pm
chipmunk

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Oslo Blue
Blimey!!!!! Have you just written that? Great info. Sorts a lot of questions out. You must get the website Xmas surprise for that one. Great, and thank you.
Post #189259 28th Nov 2012 5:44pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Shocked Razz thanks!

Going back to replacing the OEM battery

As said it is a Varta LFD90

You find this exact battery at
- Landrover:
highest quality control testing from varta before leaving factory. Only the best goes to OEM. (OEM’s are biggest customers and warranties are on account of Varta)
Higher price (didn’t dare to ask)

- Varta Leisure deep cycle LFD90, bought one last week at 111 eur vat incl.
Premium brand/ manufacturer, normal pricing Quality levels ok and 2 years of warranty

- Bosch L5013, was quoted at 145 eur ex VAT
Premium brand/reseller, produced by Varta, bit more expensive but I thought warranty was longer and related to series; L5/S5/T5: 5 years??? L4/S4/T4: 4 years etc but cannot find this back immediately and might be dependent on region.

- “secondary” brands as banner, etc etc don’t have the same spec but come with same 2 year warranty and cheaper pricing.

FYI Smile
Post #189271 28th Nov 2012 6:22pm
simond

United Kingdom 
My 2010 Puma still has the original Land Rover fitment, which as said above is a Varta OEM.

I nearly ordered an LFD90 based on this thread; however I was sceptical over the use of a leisure battery for a frequent starting application.

So I went on Varta's UK website and started typing in numbers off my original battery. The original Land Rover battery carries the reference YGD500160 and this is Varta part number 595 402 080.

The Varta site took me to part numbers 595 402 080 (Blue Dynamic, which is the same specs as the original) and a Silver Dynamic option which is listed as 600 402 083, as a premium fitment.

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/prod...95-402-080

For a few £s more I chose the 083 version.

The LFD90 is a different part number and is, according to the manufacturer, designed for boats and motorhomes.

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/prod...0-090-080/

So to sum up, it could be that later batteries on UK spec Defenders built post 2010 were different - or perhaps the earlier post needs treating with caution.

[/url] Simon D
Post #568212 2nd Oct 2016 12:41pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
If you change battery technology, make absolutely sure it fits to the charger! Many AGM and similar require a different charging characteristics. They also may have different temperature behavior. So, if you change, check and if applicable, modify the generator electrics. If you don't, you have two choices, the battery is either never fully charged, or will have a reduced lifetime. Simple exchange with no modification usually works only for classic wet batteries (or for modified AGM/Gel/... batteries, but then you loose most of its benefit).

I would not change to AGM/Gel or other, as after required modification I will have a problem if the battery breaks in the middle of nowhere and I have to find an exact matching AGM-Version-something piece ... Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #568874 5th Oct 2016 3:40pm
Welkman

United Kingdom 
So if you wanted to run a fridge and a few camping lights would you just set up a system similar to a boat where you would have two battery's as a main and lesiure, one being 'deep' and both 110 amp hours ? I have an enormous CAT battery on my 110 as it came from a crane company ! Also could someone reccomend the cheapest option for setting up a split charge system ? Some of the prices I have seen seem ludicrous.
Post #574008 28th Oct 2016 5:30pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
I use a Cyrix VSR for my dual battery setup, described here. Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #574040 28th Oct 2016 7:10pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“I would not change to AGM/Gel or other” Nor me…

Necessary on a boat where (a) they might be located below decks or in an engine room with no ventilation and (b) they're liable to get tilted more than in a vehicle (unless you intend to roll it), but looked after and not allowed to discharge I've never had to replace an OEM battery on a Land Rover and the Odyssey which came with the Mog is now ten years old.

To give you an idea of the cost of good maritime ones, the trade price for the 90Ah AGM starter battery fitted to my boat is £231.27, the GEL batteries (slow discharge “leisure” batteries) come in at £330.42 for the 85Ah ones which I have, and a whopping £455.16 for 120Ah.

Plus VAT of course…

Peter
Post #574062 28th Oct 2016 9:01pm
nickhodgson

I use Varta G8 in most of my defenders. I use them in the winch challenge vehicle and in the camping car. In the camping car I use two in parallel and have a simple battery connector (National Luna) to connect them to the car battery when the engine is running.

I chose these batteries as they had the highest CCA and a very good 95ah and they fit. I am in Zambia and we have a good supply of cheap batteries from South Africa where the equivalent physical "size" battery will have less that half the CCA. Does this put more strain on the electrics (starter and winch motor) and when in use than a battery with a higher CCA?

The Varta G8 have been very good in service, especially on the winching. Friends have 200ah "AGM' or "Deep Cycle" batteries that are destroyed in one event where I am still on the same old G8. There seems to be a lot of confusion about batteries and everyone seems to know whats best!!

I do periodically give all batteries a full charge with a 25amp CTEK Charger.

Tatra are you saying that the LFD90 supplied to LR is better quality than the one you buy direct from Varta? I have heard the same story about tyres supplied to Manufacturers as well.

Another question would be: do some of the batteries people like to use need to be charged at higher than normal voltages? and so are not well suited to being in a car? 1995 300tdi Defender 90 P/UP
2011 Puma Defender 130 D/C
2000 300tdi Defender 110 P/UP
2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
Post #575152 3rd Nov 2016 2:34pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
VeeTee wrote:
I use a Cyrix VSR for my dual battery setup, described here.

Cyrix for me too, I spent ages researching and went with the 230A one. Would buy again.
Post #575217 3rd Nov 2016 7:05pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Sorry to drag this back.

I was offered a Ctek Battery Sense for a very low price and fitted a couple of days ago. Shock horror bit showed battery at 30% charge, now I haven't bothered to check the state since I bought the 110 four years ago or recharged it. So in planning for the possibility of having to replace it I thought that I would price up a genuine replacement . The original battery is YGD500160 which has been superseded to LR030212 priced at £252.71. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #604745 25th Feb 2017 4:03pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
This is one of those touchy question/topics. There are as many strong opinions as there are battery types. Laughing
Original Defender Puma battery is a Varta deep cycle battery. You can go on the Varta UK website, enter your vehicle specifics and see what today you get as their recommendation. I just did it for my truck and got as result a Varta Silver Dynamic AGM 595 901 085 (should be identical result for yours). My own truck is still on its original, now 8,5 years old Varta battery. No signs of weakness at all yet. But I regularly connect it to the Ctek, so never discharge it deeply, and I do not have things like a electricity eating winch, etc.
When the time will come to replace this in the next few years I will go for the Varta recommendation again. In this thread topic I especially like the comments by tatra805. Pretty common sense I'd say.
Now £252.00 for this battery seems expensive I think, probably a main dealer price/markup? Once you know which battery you want, you might look at other stores where you could get the same.
Eric

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb
https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/pro...95-901-085 You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #604768 25th Feb 2017 5:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top