↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Troubles installing door bolts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jk84

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Troubles installing door bolts
I decided to change the door bolts to the SS Nakatenga ones. Started yesterday evening, first bolt changed without any issues, second one gave me a headache already. Took the old bolt out no problem, but then installing the new one… Firstly I struggled to align it properly to fit in; once I did it was tightening up fine but by the end I must have overdone it as it’s now just spinning around without being able to tighten it up properly.

1. Any idea what I might have done wrong? I haven’t proceeded with other bolts yet to make sure I don’t do the same mistake. Couple pointers below, hoping someone can chip in based on their own experience.
- I have used my cordless drill to undo the bolts. Kept it on a driver mode but had to select the top torque as they weren’t coming off. My normal cordless driver had no chance. So I’m thinking that perhaps I have already damaged the nut on the other side when undoing the bolt? Pain is I have no idea how to check the nut as it is the bottom hinge on rear doors fit to the pillar and I am guessing the nut is hidden in the bulkhead behind the front seats…you are probably guessing that my car DIY skills are very poor so I don’t even think about taking it apart.
- Alternatively, I’m thinking I have damaged the nut when I tried to tighten up the new bolt – probably by using inappropriate torque setting on the driver.
Hope it’s the latter, as I don’t know how I undo the rest of the bolts without using the driver on a high torque setting.

2. What have you used to undo the bolts and then to fit the new ones?
- As mentioned, I used a drill with a high torque driver setting to undo the old bolts. Seemed impossible to do it by hand, but if that’s what the others are doing than I’ll grab some big bloke on the street and pay him to help Very Happy
- I did apply anti-seize paste to the new bolts.
- I used the same driver to fit in the new bolt but maybe overdone it with the torque setting.

3. Need some ideas to fix the bloody thing that doesn’t want to tighten up now?
- Since I think the nut is hidden in the bulk head behind the front seats I don’t even dare to take it apart – unless you guys are adamant that that’s what I have to do…
- I’m thinking of buying a good quality metal to metal glue and fixing the bolt for good. I can still tighten it up a bit and thinking the glue will than do the rest, i.e. fix it in properly.

Any help would be most welcome Bow down MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
MY16 Santorini 90 HT - sold
Post #445402 12th Aug 2015 10:59am
jk84

Have been pointed to the below useful threads by another member so copying them in here in case someone comes across this thread while searching for door bolts related issues:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic32122....ing+policy

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39322....inge+bolts
Post #448746 24th Aug 2015 5:28pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
If you can undo the bolts then remove the door and replace the captive nuts you've stripped. I undid mine with a impact screw driver to crack them off and did them up with an Allen key on a socket wrench. Just needs to be tight.

Have a look at this and all will become clear.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=defender...mp;bih=600
Post #448860 24th Aug 2015 10:26pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Leave well enough alone (squawk, squawk!)
Leave well enough alone (snort, snort!)
I've got my bottle and bread
And a roof over my head.
Leave well enough alone (honk, honk!)
Why should I want to roam?
I knows me stuff
And I'm smart enough
To leave well enough alone!

Popeye The Sailor Man 1939
Post #448978 25th Aug 2015 11:11am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hey Birdie, you don't think JK84 ate just one too many cans of spinach and that's why he stripped the bolt?
Post #448994 25th Aug 2015 12:10pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello jk84

Hopefully your fixed now, or have a plan to fix... Thumbs Up

The first link above was my experience, one captive nut snapped when gaining access to dinitrol into the bulk head area, so took the opportunity to replace all the M8 captive nuts to the 'new and improved type'. I think that the 2.4tdci generally have the 'gold type' shown on the left (mine was one of the last 2.4s) and the 2.2tdci now have the 'black type', the updated version which looks to be better, with around 30% more thread, also looks like an oil blackened spring steel, so possibly a superior product too, hope so at the LR Price... Exclamation

Click image to enlarge

old type and the new type of captive door nuts

Click image to enlarge

lowering the new captive nut into position with a bent piece of wire so as not to loose it into the cavity SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #448997 25th Aug 2015 12:18pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
keep your existing land rover bolts and paint with a clear lacquer Thumbs Up
Post #449002 25th Aug 2015 12:25pm
jk84

Thank you for the comments chaps Thumbs Up

SKIP - yep, all in progress now, j-nuts in the post, have started with the other bolts in the meantime. Thanks again for pointers to those threads!

Steve - quite ingenious Very Happy should have thought about it before I ordered the 90 quid Nakatenga set. In the end, not a biggie, at least have learned something new about my Landy Mr. Green
Post #449287 26th Aug 2015 8:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1