Print this entire topic · 
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #385919 7th Jan 2015 2:11pm
dgardel

Italy 
XS Pete wrote:
dgardel wrote:
It's really curious how we take the parts with one or the other type of lights almost fighting ......

haa human nature .......

I know. It's amazing. Eric's rose-tinted glasses also seem to be preventing him from remembering actually getting his EVOs working properly in the first place.

I remember this because I replied to his appeals for high-powered diodes at the time.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic15899.html

Pete

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #385922 7th Jan 2015 2:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
walfy

Thats the good thing about this forum. No one forgets anything. Always someone to go hunting through the archive and drag out info most people had forgotten about. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #385926 7th Jan 2015 2:27pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
^^ Daniele, you are wearing some very tinted glasses yourself now with comments like that. Rolling Eyes
In my native language there is a perfect saying for what you are doing: Spijkers op laag water zoeken. Feel free to translate this in the right spirit, but it will be a challenge I think. Laughing

Now to properly clarify this issue....

In my particular case, both the Nolden and the Speakers would have run into the same electric problem at that time. The problem was a combination of me having: 1. the SVX front with aux high beam lamps, and 2. fog lights properly installed in the legal way. This point 2. you do not have on your truck I believe,

So. when my 7 inch Wipac main headlamps were replaced by the Speakers, there was actually not a problem with the Speakers, but somehow my 90mm aux high beam lamps kicked in with the Speaker low beam and/or my fogs, which they should not do, but which my dealer in the end defined as being caused by the LED headlamp electronics. The same thing probably would have happened with different LED headlamps and their electronics too with my particular lights set up, so including the fogs.
It was all a bit of trial and error to solve it, but my dealer found that diodes did not help, but the solution came in the form of an extra relay to the negative feed of the Speakers, in order to entirely disconnect them from the aux high beam signal and from the fogs. The Speakers now have in total 3 dedicated relays.
So bottom line, nothing to do with the Speakers per sé, but more with the specifics of the SVX light setup and the fogs. With the extra relay, it all works picture perfect now.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #385931 7th Jan 2015 2:44pm
dgardel

Italy 
Eric

you do not have to explain and/or justify anything

it was just an "ouch" because it seemed like a "cheap shot" (italian expression)

I have the highest regard for you as for many others here in the forum Bow down

Now we all sit around a big round table and..........

Click image to enlarge

.......haaaa typical Italian diplomacy....... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #385940 7th Jan 2015 2:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
ken wrote:
Noticed the lights on the special editions Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

So these are Noldens?
Pickles.
Post #386152 7th Jan 2015 11:33pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Yes they are Noldens Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #386246 8th Jan 2015 11:41am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Well then, I can't see L.R. fitting something which they might have a problem with.
Pickles.
Post #386528 8th Jan 2015 10:18pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Pickles.... Rolling with laughter

After 70 odd years? Never mind the friggin' lights they've got enough on their plates with the rest of the leaky, rattly, rust bucket as it is! Don't we just love 'em?

They should vhave gone with the 8700 J W Speakers in line with the rest.....wet inside!

Laughing

Eric it was a joke......no need to get your knickers in a twist! Rolling with laughter Bow down Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #386539 8th Jan 2015 10:31pm
munch90

England 
Just my pennys worth for looks that i think suit the defender , the noldens win hands down !
Post #386544 8th Jan 2015 10:38pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Update (and wavering slightly off course), my first Evos had a condensation issue due to the stainless bezels contacting the aluminium headlamp body at the bottom where water collects Rolling Eyes Not exactly my fault but being an educated gentleman I should certainly have seen it coming. The bimetallic corrosion (white powder) pushed the lens away from the body, causing the seal to leak at the bottom and condensation to get in. However, I have had the replacements in for over a year now and, thanks to powdercoated bezels, no more problems.

Back to the thread: I think it should be pointed out that the Speakers have a lifetime warranty - not sure if the Noldens do?

As far as LR fitting "the best lights" to the last Defenders - what a joke. The vehicle is being killed off and still doesn't work properly. Think about the other disastrous expensive/crappy/rusty accessories LR "recommends". I would rather steer away from anything LR sees as suitable to put on the vehicle than rush to buy it Whistle

p.s. Happy New Year from a miserable sod Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #386610 9th Jan 2015 12:10am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Quote:

Back to the thread: I think it should be pointed out that the Speakers have a lifetime warranty - not sure if the Noldens do?

Speaker 8700 Evo's to my knowledge have a Limited lifetime warranty

Noldens Bi Led have a 3 year warranty.

Personally I would not worry about the Noldens only having a 3 year warranty.

Have you heard of one report of Nolden lights suffering from condensation or water ingress? Or suffering from corrosion? Flickering? Time delay in going from main beam to dipped beam?

In 2014 we sold several hundreds of light units from the Nolden range. We have not had one light unit returned or one complaint about condensation/corrosion etc.

The worst 'issue' we had was a customer fitting Nolden BiLed to a 1986(?) G Wagen in London. The problem was with the headlight bulb failure system of the vehicle. Solution? We got an English speaking technician from Germany to actually phone the customer up, talking him through fitting a suitable supplied resistor and then clearing the fault codes on the vehicle. Once fault codes were cleared everything was fine Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #386631 9th Jan 2015 1:15am
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
ericvv wrote:
HardCharger wrote:
This is an interesting discussion.

From what I see, they all have whiteish lights almost like HIDs? If so, how do they perform in inclement weather (rain, fog, snow)? Isn't white light, in those conditions, counter productive to proper vision?

Not dissing them, I'm actually thinking about getting a pair (brand to be determined) eventually, but would still like to know how they perform across the weather conditions we all drive in. All the discussions thus far is how bright and how far they throw light.

I'm watching this and similar threads with great interest.

I don't believe much has been answered here about how they perform in the rain at night, which is a frequent occurence for many people I think, statistically more so accross the channel, than here by the lake. Cool Rain and night combined mean that the black asphalt roads being wet do not properly reflect the light back, it basically bounces away as on a mirror, so a lot of emitted light is just getting lost for the driver.

When I was driving with my original lamps, i.e. the SVX clear Wipacs and the Land Rover upgraded halogen bulbs, driving in the rain at night was ok, but visible light on the road as said was poor.
Now with my LED headlamps it is surprisingly how well the road really gets lightened up in those very same conditions. The LED light is much much more visible on wet black roads.
Even more interesting comparison in this respect is with my wife's car which has factory HID (xenon) lights, the real stuff, not after market xenon bulbs. HID lights already are much whiter and much brighter than halogen lights, but at night in the rain, once again, the LEDs of the SVX remain far better than even those HIDs.
Eric

Thanks Eric!

You rely somewhat helps in clearing out the light performance in the rain and possibly other weather as well.

Still watching the topic to see which light is the better buy as they are not cheap, I cannot afford to just keep changing and would prefer to buy once and hurt once.

Thanks again!
Post #390077 19th Jan 2015 6:50am
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
For what it's worth, I recently upgraded from factory fitted SVX Wipacs to the latest Noldens. I'm very impressed with the improvement in lighting and the quality and finish seems very good.

Part if my choice is that the Noldens are quite subtle looking and blend in very well (imho).

The ip69k rating is the highest you can get and gives me absolute confidence that these units should remain entirely waterproof no matter what the conditions (including direct hi-pressure washing with the Karcher).

Great product and great service from Brendan too Thumbs Up

Either way, LED lights do take some getting used to but are a great improvement.
Post #390742 20th Jan 2015 9:33pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I have to admit the way the Speakers look a little different/aggressive is one reason I am happy with them, even if the IP specs of the Noldens are impressive i.e. vanity plays no small part Embarassed
In any event, the performance of LEDs in general is outstanding compared to other vehicles and should be fitted to ALL Defender models as standard Exclamation Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #390830 20th Jan 2015 11:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567