Home > Puma (Tdci) > Coasting grind noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Niel

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Coasting grind noise
Hallo Defender people.
I have a 110 Puma with 15000kms on the Clock. I am experiancing a disturbing grinding noise when coasting at about 110km/h. It sounds like gears grating against each other. Diff gearbox, I dont know. The strange thing is i got a gearbox and clutch replaced at 7000kms and this sound only started from then.
My dealer will now open a technical request the the UK for assistance as they seem to think this sound is quite normal.
Is this normal, a built in Defender sound? Puma 110 sw White
No extras yet.
Post #25844 5th Mar 2010 6:25am
BigGeorge

Switzerland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Well, the dealers would like you to believe that's this grinding or I call it rattling noise comes standard with any Defender.

Had the same on mine after 4000km on the clock. The said, that the noise was allocated to the transfer box and replaced it. Picked it up yesterday. The noise is still there, maybe a bit less than before. At the same time rear diff was exhanged because of grinding noise as well.... Now it's only whining and not grinding any more.

Worst of all, I have a now a fine whining / grininding more sanding noise and the car drives as if the hand break is being slightly applied... it's not so crispy, easy going as before. Maybe they forgot to add oil in the Diff or transfer box or to much torque was applied to bearings or pinion / crown wheel resuling in some drag.

Will check tonight the oil levels...

You now the LR joke: "The engine didn't fail because of the oil --- there was none in it" The goons are trying to bring me down!

Defender 110 SW MY10 useless piece of Censored ... but I like her
Defender 90 V8 50th Anniversary
Series IIa 109 / 6 cyl. ex-fire truck
Post #25880 5th Mar 2010 3:02pm
robharvey

Niel,

I have / had the same thing - see here http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2208.html

I reported it at my 10k oil change, got the usual "They all do it" reply, but the funny thing it only does it very seldomly now. I don't know if the stealer greased or tightened something, but it definitely is 90% improved.

Let us know if you find a definitive answer.

Rob
Post #25953 6th Mar 2010 7:24am
Niel

Rob yes that is exactly what is happening to mine. The worst thing is it never used to make that noise until they put a new rear dif, gearbox and clutch. It is very uncumfortable driving at that 110 speed. It sounds like something is going to break.
Off topic, why did you do a 10k oil change? LR only recommends it at 20K? Puma 110 sw White
No extras yet.
Post #26180 8th Mar 2010 6:28am
robharvey

Re the oil change, I just feel more comfortable doing it at 10k. I think in our conditions the engines will work harder (heat, dust, altitude), and giving them fresh oil every 10k will hopefully prolong lifespan.
Post #26182 8th Mar 2010 8:38am
ralton

South Africa 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
mine makes the same noise when i'm "coasting" at around 110-120 km/hour . has always done it on and off, sometimes worse than others. 65000km. i think it may be normal?
Post #26319 9th Mar 2010 7:01am
Niel

yes it may be normal but it certainly is not right. mechanical components should not make that sound, nor should a dif whine. there must be a misalignment or something that is not right. If this is normal then they all should make the same noise, but judging from the posts there are very few people with this grinding noise? Puma 110 sw White
No extras yet.
Post #26488 11th Mar 2010 6:52am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Re: Coasting grind noise
Niel wrote:
I have a 110 Puma with 15000kms on the Clock. I am experiancing a disturbing grinding noise when coasting at about 110km/h. It sounds like gears grating against each other.

Niel, do you have raised suspension? Does the noise sound like a coffee-grinder?

If so, it could be the angle of the front propshaft to the diff is too acute, and at a certain rpm it gets slightly out of alignment and grinds. This usually happens when the lift is more than 50mm.

Eventually mine was replaced by the double-cardon propshaft from a D2 and the problem went away.
Post #26490 11th Mar 2010 8:04am
BigGeorge

Share the same view as Niel. These components when properly adjusted should not be making such noise. My V8 doesn't nor my Jeep XJ did and both share the same ancient technology

As mentioned above I was not happy with the new transfer box and rear diff. So I dropped the car on sunday evening at the dealer asking to check and rectify. They didn't even bother to call that they will look at it. So I stopped by yesterday evening. The mechanic was a bit swamped... they took the car for several test drives but no one seemed to notice any noise. The machanic said that he changed the items and that there was nothing to adjust... just take the diff out and put the new diff in.
So we went again on a test drive with the same result for me and him. I can hear it he doesn't. Inquired about the drag and he said there's no drag / mechanical resitance. Well, if there's drag I will notice at the gas station at the latest.
He volunteered to drive my car to his home and back the next morning. Maybe he will finally notice the noise and drag.... but mind you... it took me also a while to understand that santa clause is not real..

Cheers
George The goons are trying to bring me down!

Post #26497 11th Mar 2010 9:11am
Niel

mine is stock standard. it is not a constant noise, it only happens at a specific point when almost when you take up the slack in the drive train with the throttle at 110km/h and then let go off again. it is really noticeable on a downhill. the thing is this is n new noise since the new diff and gearbox which leads me to believe that something is not aligned properly. Puma 110 sw White
No extras yet.
Post #26498 11th Mar 2010 9:57am
BigGeorge

She's back again... The mechanic drove the car home and back to the work shop. Since I thought that they were not going to do anything about it, I called and asked whether I could pick up the car. He said no, they need to check something. The next day I could pick up the car and they told me the dismantled the NEW differential and noted that it was badly assembled / misaligned in the factory. The car feels again as "crispy" as before, however the whining and occasionally grinding noise form the rear diff is still there. (maybe the put back in the old differential). Same with the apparently fixed grinding noise from the gear box / transfer box. Transfer box is new but the grinding noise is still there. In addition when cold and coasting at 60-80 km/h I get a whistle from the gearbox area. I guess I will have to get used to it and complain only when the Censored breaks down.

Cheers

Post #27994 25th Mar 2010 2:18pm
Niel

I have a test drive scheduled with LR South Africa on Monday the 29th.
I am going to make them drive it and sit next to them and make sure this time they hear it !!
Will post their findings. Puma 110 sw White
No extras yet.
Post #27998 25th Mar 2010 2:28pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Niel wrote:
I have a test drive scheduled with LR South Africa on Monday the 29th.
I am going to make them drive it and sit next to them and make sure this time they hear it !!
Will post their findings.

Wow, Niel, you managed to get LRSA involved!? How much was the bribe? Rolling Eyes
Post #27999 25th Mar 2010 2:31pm
BigGeorge

Niel

take out the chubby box (if you have one) and unscrew the gear box cover. When you lift the cover, the grinding noise will be audible to deaf people!

Post #28003 25th Mar 2010 2:45pm
Allan

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Mine used to make this noise after I had a 2 inch lift done, sounded like the gearbox was full of loose spanners. Took it back to standard hight and it went. Ive since put 130 front springs on it to compensate for the front bar and winch and have noticed it faintly at times. My vehicle has had the prop shaft greese nipple mod ect, ect. It now is vibrating during first 10km accel. and last 10 km decel. has done it for the last 6 months (service due the can look at it then). I think its something we are going to have to live with until LR do a recall and change the front prop shafts for something that can handle
defender articulation
Allan Sad Sad
Post #28007 25th Mar 2010 3:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>