↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Bad Injector?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dannyragsdale

Papau New Guinea 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Bad Injector?
Anyone have any experience with a P0204-01 fault code? Mine popped up today and now I'm permanently in limp mode. Just googling the code says it's likely a bad injector, but I wanted to check in here before I drop some decent money on an injector.

I should probably mention that I live in a fairly remote place in Papua New Guinea, so going and getting my injector tested isn't really an option.

Thanks for any help!
Post #1002951 4th Aug 2023 7:34am
dannyragsdale

Having a thought and I want to know how terrible of an idea is too. How bad would it be if I switched #3 and #4 injectors to just make sure its actually the injector? If it's an electrical issue, it should stay a P0204 code. But if it's the injector, it'll change to P0203 since it's the number 3 spot, right?
But my concern is if it's a bad idea to actually switch the injectors. I really don't want to have to buy 2 instead of just one. Thanks!
Post #1002977 4th Aug 2023 10:31am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Tricky one. Could be failed injector or failed wiring.

I have previously diagnosed as follows

Is the engine running roughly/on three cylinders? If so start and run the engine then unplug/reconnect each injector one by one.

When you unplug an injector you should hear the engine almost conk out. It will then recover when you plug it back in.
Move on to the next injector and repeat.
If/when you unplug an injector but the engine does not bog down/runs the same then that indicates that that particular injector has failed.

To test the wiring is ok/getting signal you can get a noid light and probe it on the injector harness connector pins. It will flash indicating it is getting signal/pulse from the ECU. if you get no pulse then you are not getting signal at that particular connector. You could probably use a penny part LED for the same purpose

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-6322-TOOLS-...B0183SW936

I have diagnosed two faulty injectors using this technique in the past. See here https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53240-284.html

Never buy reconditioned injectors - complete false economy. Buy genuine new DENSO every time > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #1002989 4th Aug 2023 11:23am
dannyragsdale

I'll have to ask a couple friends if they happen to have a noid light, but I don't have high hopes.

I'll do the test of unplugging them one at a time come morning time. I appreciate the advice and will let you know how it goes.
Post #1003003 4th Aug 2023 12:57pm
dannyragsdale

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate you telling me to do the test. So the code is P0204, so that means it is injector #4 that is the problem. But your test just showed that it was injector #3. When I unplugged 1,2, and 4, the engine actually died. So from what I am understanding, #3 injector is bad and I should replace that one? Should I be concerned that it actually died and not just 'conked out'?
Post #1003075 5th Aug 2023 12:49am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Happy days - the process works. Certainly sounds like injector 3 is dead.

I wouldn't be too concerned, just replace injector 3 and see how it goes.

Be sure to clean the injector counterbore scrupulously to ensure a good seal by the copper washer > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #1003267 7th Aug 2023 12:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1