↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Interesting Reading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Setok

Finland 
Cheers, I'd broadly agree with the outline for a Defender replacement there. Would prefer mechanically simple for Western markets too, and I'm not sure about air springs, with so many stories of them going wrong, and they're not possible to easily repair.
Post #165399 30th Aug 2012 7:29pm
nidge n

lrmaniac wrote:
More Interesting Reading ... this time not from magazines...

Last month when I was in Solihull, among other stuff bought a book, "Born In Lode Lane" by Roger Crathorne, the man some call Mr Land Rover...
Although it's not new, it has some interesting reading, about LR and the future Defender, of wich I higlight these lines, reproduced below -remember the book was written in 2008, long before the first sketch of the DC100 was released/known -(sorry if some of you have read it) :

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

ps- if you can't read it, go directly to my gallery and click the image...use Ctrl+ to zoom...

This article should be mailed directly to LR. Its what most people want from a new defender, so why are they not listening? Big Cry
Post #166099 3rd Sep 2012 9:38am
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
RobKeay wrote:
At our yard we made a off-road course which I played in every day with my disco 3, went in with my brand new 110 and bent the bumper. Anyone who thinks defenders are the best off-roaders needs to take a step back.

I have just brought a brand new 90 but can see the faults of the current vehicule. It's like buying somthing from the fifties. So far I've adjusted the doors and tightened the prop bolts, plus made the stereo so you hear it and and few bits and bobs.

The current defender is a limited market.

When I went on a LRE treck day, the Disco 4s, both automatics, made off road easy. My 90 had no problem with handling terrain, but the Disco tanks (standard tyres) made my gear crunching seem like the Flintstones.

Having said that, I am a Defender/Series fan, not a LR fan. When LR stop making & selling Defenders as we know & love them, what's left will just be another SUV badge whose range will compare with Jeep Wranglers, Mitsubishi SWB Shoguns etc. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #166430 4th Sep 2012 11:35pm
ndt98

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Belize Green
[quote="BigWheels"]
RobKeay wrote:
I am a Defender/Series fan, not a LR fan. When LR stop making & selling Defenders as we know & love them, what's left will just be another SUV badge whose range will compare with Jeep Wranglers, Mitsubishi SWB Shoguns etc.

Entirely agree with you !

110 SW TD4
Toyota Land Cruiser
Post #169335 19th Sep 2012 6:32pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Post #171567 28th Sep 2012 1:15pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That first one is an excellent assessment. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #171581 28th Sep 2012 1:55pm
Moto

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Will it look better with wear.... I don't think so!
The Defender is unique because it wears it's scars well. Every scratch or dent creates an individual patena, like a good leather coat, the more you wear it the better it looks. This differs from every other SUV which all look worse for wear. A big part of this is probably ally panels that don't blead rust, it's design is so old that it's now developed an ageless look and it is exactly what it claims to be - simple, rugged mechanics that will take you anywhere. Other SUV's mainly have looks but no talent or if they have talent it's is too precious (expensive) to damage. Although the D100 will probably have the talent will it maintain the rest of Defender's portfolio or be more like a baby RR?
Post #171621 28th Sep 2012 6:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234