↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Interesting Reading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
ZeDefender wrote:
Looks: YUK - the Evoque looks better and that looks crap to me.
Function: Wide and low - not really a utility vehicle for me.
So another pointless SUV? Why not get an XC90? Or a Gayenne Laughing
It'll sell though... but certainly not to me Wink

How do you know how low or high it will be ?, the discovery has more ground clearance than a standard defender and looks low.

How wide is it then?

"Modularity is also key for the new generation of Defender. The engineers are working with the designers to make sure that there is a model suitable for your needs. Today Land Rover build 28 versions of the Defender including hard top, soft top, crew cab, station wagons, and pick-ups. Land Rover hopes to beat this with their next generation of Defender, to create many more models suited for the awkward tasks of some of today's jobs, and those of the future."

Don't knock it until you've tried it, I agree it's not the best looking vehicle as yet, but I'll wait and see. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #140711 21st Apr 2012 4:19pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #140712 21st Apr 2012 4:19pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Its growing on me. Its certainly looking a bit better, i'd love to see a LWB version Very Happy

One thing is for certain - it'll sell like hot cakes, LR have got their business head on Thumbs Up
Post #140713 21st Apr 2012 4:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
spudfan

Ireland 
From the photograph, it reminds me of a Mitsubishi Pajero, which I have seen our military lads driving around in. They look a bit ridiculous, four blokes wedged into a mat green swb 4x4 on wide road tyres with the hardware pointing up to the roof out of harms way. Don't know how they exit in a military emergency. A long cry from sitting in the back of a lwb 110 ragtop.
Remember when the original Range Rover was planned? Seems the Land Rover engineering crowd were against it as it would not be leaf sprung and did not target their idea of what the 4x4 market was. They were dead against the comfy coil sprung thing. The Land Rover men got dragged in towards the end of the project. Seems the Range Rover was badged "by Land Rover" as an after thought just to give it creedence. It could well have emerged as a Rover car. Well it seems, radical as the Range Rover was to traditional Land Rover people and buyers it was a great success and pointed Soilihull in a new direction.
When the 110 and then the 90 emerged a lot of Land Rover people thought this was a step too far and was perhaps a dumbing down of the tough, rugged, leaf sprung working Land Rover. Coils were fine for a "car" like the Range Rover but real off roaders needed leaf springs and a basic rugged design, tried and tested. The new design proved itself and even pushed the Land Rover to new heights.
Now it seems we have another radical design which is controversial to us 90/110 men. Well I was one of those who thought that the 90/110 was a step in the wrong direction. I drove a 90 for 6 six years as our family car. Then a 110 tdi for 12 years when the Puma took over. I thank Solihull for their for fore sight and taking the plunge because if they did'nt I would not have a Puma today and I doubt if I'd have the option of buying a 109 station wagon.
The low volumes (in car production terms) means that a stand alone design, research, production and back up service for 20,ooo units per year is not feasible. The utility end of things is a by product of Solihull production today. Solihull make their money on their big selling other models. It would be nice if they would channel a sizable chunk of money into developing a top notch utility vehicle but I doubt it. I would say that the DC 100 started out with a styling briefing first. Once the styling was complete then the-How do we make this a utility 4x4-question was asked. Everything had to be shoe horned into this stylist's idea of a 4x4. Gone are the days of getting the chassis right then building on that.Things have changed. Maybe this DC100 will have better wading depth than my Puma. Maybe it will be wider. Maybe it will surprise us all and be another road ahead. No matter where the design team go with it, I hope they manage to get some soul into it, as it seems current designers with their computers fail to include it in the final product. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #140727 21st Apr 2012 6:01pm
ZeDefender

willy eckerslike wrote:
Don't knock it until you've tried it, I agree it's not the best looking vehicle as yet, but I'll wait and see.

Absolutely right but I think part of the fun is to guess what it will be like before it's in the showrooms - if we didn't knock it until we tried it these threads would be much less interesting Laughing

Being a pessimist at heart, I love to be proven wrong - when dying Apple brought out the multi-coloured iMacs at the end of the '90s, I was one of the first to vomit... then I bought one... and look at Apple now Shocked

I wonder if the DC100 can do the same for LR Whistle Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #140730 21st Apr 2012 6:16pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
To girlie, noddy for me, It's a concept but it won't change enough for me, needs screwing up and throwing in the bin with a complete new design before I take a second look at it. I would have liked something more purposeful like the RR, Discovery, Evoque design, or the Dodge, Chevrolet, Ford etc,

Rolling Eyes

Just looks ridiculous to me, all the wrong proportions! (small mini car design blown up!) My wife has just said she would be embarrassed to drive that and she's not into cars at all. OK for the girls and some boys under 30 I suppose Whistle

Great shame Sad It really wasn't that hard to come up with a really impressive, breath taking design, a 60 year golden opportunity squandered :x

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Zagato on 21st Apr 2012 8:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #140760 21st Apr 2012 8:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Zagato wrote:
To girlie, noddy for me, It's a concept but it won't change enough for me, needs screwing up and throwing in the bin with a complete new design before I take a second look at it. I would have liked something more purposeful like the RR, Discovery, Evoque design, or the Dodge, Chevrolet, Ford etc,

Rolling Eyes

Just looks ridiculous to me, all the wrong proportions! (small mini car design blown up!) My wife has just said she would be embarrassed to drive that and she's not into cars at all. OK for the girls and some boys under 30 I suppose Whistle

Well I am 44 and looking forward to seeing it parked in my drive! :D

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #140762 21st Apr 2012 8:24pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Good for you BT Thumbs Up We all have different tastes, thank god, other wise we could all be driving around in Land Cruisers Shocked Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Post #140763 21st Apr 2012 8:29pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Zagato wrote:
Good for you BT Thumbs Up We all have different tastes, thank god, other wise we could all be driving around in Land Cruisers Shocked Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Now that would be bad! Shocked
Post #140764 21st Apr 2012 8:35pm
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
spudfan wrote:
Maybe this DC100 will have better wading depth than my Puma. Maybe it will be wider. Maybe it will surprise us all and be another road ahead. No matter where the design team go with it, I hope they manage to get some soul into it, as it seems current designers with their computers fail to include it in the final product.

Maybe you're right! I hope so! Sincerely! I hope I'm wrong! Because it lacks soul (lots of it!) to this concept!

Although I don't think that I'm that wrong!

I'm sorry if some of you consider my previous comments on this thread a bit harsh...but that's the way I feel! I didn't mean to offend anyone! Thumbs Up

I'm also glad we all have different tastes! Although we all have one taste in common - Land Rovers! Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #140767 21st Apr 2012 8:52pm
ZeDefender

I've just realised what's been in the back of (what's left of) my mind until now - it seems to me that LR think of the current Defender as the "Ugly Duckling" of their family and now they're trying to replace it with another one (you can probably guess I hate BMW's "New Mini" Whistle
I have to admit I quite like the Disco 4 - it just took so long to get there. LR need to jump straight to DC100 4 and forget about the ugly prototypes Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #140772 21st Apr 2012 9:42pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
At our yard we made a off-road course which I played in every day with my disco 3, went in with my brand new 110 and bent the bumper. Anyone who thinks defenders are the best off-roaders needs to take a step back.

I have just brought a brand new 90 but can see the faults of the current vehicule. It's like buying somthing from the fifties. So far I've adjusted the doors and tightened the prop bolts, plus made the stereo so you hear it and and few bits and bobs.

The current defender is a limited market.
Post #140802 22nd Apr 2012 1:31am
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
Zagato wrote:
I would have liked something more purposeful like the RR, Discovery, Evoque design...

That's what get's me, I think all of the above are fantastic vehicles. I should be desperately waiting for the DC100, but just can't summon up any excitement for it. It looks even lamer when next to a F150 Raptor - if our roads were wide enough to support the F150 I'd have one.

That said, I can't currently think of an ugly vehicle in the current Land Rover range (so hopefully it will stay that way). I'm still keen to see the LWB (must be at least a 130 if the SWB is a 100) poverty spec coiler... Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #140804 22nd Apr 2012 2:25am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
ZeDefender wrote:
- if we didn't knock it until we tried it these threads would be much less interesting Laughing

They'd certainly be a lot shorter Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #140826 22nd Apr 2012 9:05am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I reckon it should be on parabolics. Normally in two wheel drive and have about 72 brake horse power.
Post #140829 22nd Apr 2012 9:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>