↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Parents 200 TDI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
yeah Very Happy My mam is missing him, the driveway seems a little bare now going from 3 to 2 cars! last time we were like that, was pre metro days Laughing I may twist my dads arm to put another car on there though Laughing But i can hear him say NOT LIKELY!
My mate nearly fell off his couch, when i told him the price of what was quoted, and i think my dad is a little shocked too on how much more he has had to spend. I think he was looking at about 7k but its cost nearly 10k more! i know he had the wind knocked out of his sails when was told that L and R would have charged him 27k.
Fingers crossed when Terr returns he doesn't Censored him, the amount of things i have had to set in to fix him, i have lost count. He went at the front end of him, the point the jacking points were damaged, and there was just say a reference to fit the bumper plates. He said, i will just replace the dumibrons, i was like, what at 450 a corner? he was like Shocked So i think he has sort of backed off with the hocus pokeus, with the screw drivers and whicky whacking with the hammer. After getting a taste of how much the parts are for these motors now, and why i don't want him going at it with mine. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1018719 19th Dec 2023 4:01am
Procta

United Kingdom 
went to drop some bits off, that dad managed to find, for Terr. He drove mine, this time. Could he hell manage, " It will pull away in 2nd" puts Beatie in 4th, did that a number of times, thought i am yep, what you going to blame, the clutch or the gearbox Rolling Eyes Was a bit of an experience for Beatie, with out me been at the controls. Plus it kept dads gob shut for nit picking about driving and the car.

Anyway when we arrived, we saw Terr. Mam had already been sent a few photos.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

That was early on today, a few ugly things have come to the surface, stuff that my dad didnt know about. They found the wiring at the rear end a total mess, with house hold wiring!
They said the bulkhead had just snapped off when they came to lift it off. Nothing was holding the bottom in at all. Spotted our repairs to the rear tub, which is in one of the photos, That was due to my dad having an poke session with the screw driver when he did the seat box sides. Instead of leaving it a lone, and getting some one to fix that. So that was the best we could come up with to get the car back together. They found a few leaks on the engine and fuel system, which i suspect its something to do with the alarm system that was fitted, Engine side of things not sure about that one, my dad did say he thinks he has damaged something, to do with the transfer box. Rolling Eyes
So looks like its going to need a new harness in, they also found that the rear capping had very little rubber in or make shift, and the window screen panel was a different blue to the rest of the motor, So god know what the story was there, Also evidence of an electrical fire previously too. So our Terr has had a bit of a hard one. He was used for the university grounds.

When we arrived later on.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Terrs engine is in the new chassis, already.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Terr's old chassis had seen better days, one of the lads, said that its had patches on top of patches, That would have been what me and my dad patched up, which was the out riggers. I said it looked like its had replacement ones, He said no pal, they have just patched those over, and you have patched over the patches. He said you mates handy work has just say kept up there, but your works been ok. I said to the workers, my dads been having a pokeys. They were like oh the old poke with the screw driver, i was like yep.
They have said its the worst one they have worked on wiring wise, due to the bodges. My mams wanting to get new suspension, and i was like i have some spare springs here, to keep the cost at bay here. Just so that they can save a few quid for the loom. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1018949 21st Dec 2023 8:37pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for the update Procta, they don't hang about and it's the best time to do what is needed to be future proof Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1018955 21st Dec 2023 9:41pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up the lads who removed the bulk head said practically snapped off, from the chassis, the metal was that weak,
here is the remains of the bulkhead with the bolts in place!

Click image to enlarge

They recon if they had been in a head on, the bulkhead would have just folded in on them. My dad knew it was in a bad way but not as bad as that. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1018968 21st Dec 2023 10:46pm
L110CDL

England 
That is bad Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1018969 21st Dec 2023 10:57pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
The outer sill was stated not have been attached and it was just full of body filler. So god knows what ugly surprises they are going to uncover when they start sanding the panels, i know my dad poked a hole through the side with a screw driver, when he was having his prodding session. " is that filler?" mam went off on a one at him for that. Hence the little stickers on either side to hide the hole Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1018975 21st Dec 2023 11:54pm
L110CDL

England 
Laughing Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1019032 22nd Dec 2023 9:40pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
It’s a lot of money, and a lot of work, but he willbe arguably better than new when he arrives back on the driveway.

Are you going to have a welcome home celebration?
Post #1019052 23rd Dec 2023 9:56am
Procta

United Kingdom 
mam will be putting a lot of finger food knowing her. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1019101 23rd Dec 2023 5:49pm
Screbble

I think you should bake a cake Procta.

We are all waiting to see the photos of the ceremonial return πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Post #1019105 23rd Dec 2023 6:06pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
@Procta - great to see another one being saved and you are a very long way from me but if you don't mind me asking I am curious who is doing the work which looks pretty comprehensive Thumbs Up Question Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #1019107 23rd Dec 2023 6:21pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
spanner monkeys in gateshead, but moved into a lot larger premises and they changed their name to restore or something a long those lines, due to them doing more rebuilds of defenders and discos. They were rated on here and on the Disco2 forum Thumbs Up
the owner may know a number of north east lads off the disco 2 forum and maybe one or two from here. Her husband does the MOT and mechanics stuff etc, she over sees the bodywork rebuild process. My dads landy has gone into the rebuild plant that has the paint booth. She knows a lot of dealers in area too, and would not go anywhere near LES POTTs which is very local to me. After my experience with him, i wouldn't go anywhere near them either Thumbs Up

If you want the details to travel up give me a PM Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1019115 23rd Dec 2023 6:48pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Screbble wrote:
I think you should bake a cake Procta.

We are all waiting to see the photos of the ceremonial return πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

I will pass that on to mam, i am going to order the welcome home banners and balloons, might have one made up saying "Terrs back in da house yeah!!" Very Happy but my dad will probably go off in a one Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1019123 23rd Dec 2023 7:51pm
Screbble

It has to be done.

He’s an important family member πŸ‘
Post #1019164 24th Dec 2023 10:52am
Procta

United Kingdom 
I have been thinking that they should have bit of a disco too Very Happy Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1019485 29th Dec 2023 12:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>