↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Td5 110 camper set up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Register

United Kingdom 
Td5 110 camper set up
Hi, I had a terrific time and did 6,000 miles around Europe in a D3 last year, so upgraded to this 90,000 mile gem.
I need to be in Morroco in early Feb so am planning to transplant the RTT and build a ‘liveable’ interior.
No idea if this is the right location for this post, but aiming for sound deadening first.
I’ve removed the inward facing seats. Do the remaining bars play any role other than for the seat belts?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also currently no front or rear ARB.

Definitely need new tyres. First outing looks like around 3,000 mostly on road miles.

Roof bars or rack?

Rear ladder?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Pete
Post #997640 26th Jun 2023 9:24pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Pete
welcome to the forum and lovely 110 you have there as a stating point for your adventures !

There are lots of things to consider when setting up a camper - as each of us have different priorities.

Get the basic things sorted first, sleeping, eating and driving, then fit the rest around that. You can squeeze a lot into a 110 - but its easy to go overboard.

Take a look at some of the many great conversions undertaken on here - such as Timcat, Andrew95, Ratty, and mine for example
Take your time and think things though before taking the plunge. Ask as many questions as you like but the end choice will always be yours and there are no rights or wrongs.

enjoy!!

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #997656 27th Jun 2023 6:47am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Re: Td5 110 camper set up
Register wrote:
Do the remaining bars play any role other than for the seat belts?
Pete

Only anchor points for the seatbelts. There is another bracket under the tub, one each side, that ties those bars to the rear crossmember, but maybe worth leaving those in place to act as anchors for additional heavy stuff that you may put in. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #997658 27th Jun 2023 7:17am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
You had a lovely time touring Europe in a D3 and now you are going to Morroco in a Td5 Defender.

I think those two experiences will be the polar opposite on so many levels!

I can drive my D4 all day long, my Td5 defender however is not a car that is all that suitable for long distance travel..
Post #997690 27th Jun 2023 10:28am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
That’s daft. Defenders are great for long distance travel, especially a fairly modern 110 like this. They plod along fine on the motorways but come into their own in terms of their practicality and flexibility.

It will make a great base for a camper - look forward to seeing how it comes together. I’ve got a 110 CSW waiting for rebuild for the same purpose.
Post #997699 27th Jun 2023 11:20am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I tend to agree that using a defender for long distances is not a problem, having just completed a 4200 mile road trip in 15 days in our 110 ..
I also have been driving from Cornwall to Aberdeen every 3 weeks in our 110 for work for the last 3 years..... over 600 miles each way,

Landrovers have been driven all over the world - its all about the journey and not just the destination.
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #997712 27th Jun 2023 12:11pm
TexasRover

Maybe I am just getting old. I like driving my defender. I don't mind any of the driving characteristics apart from THE NOISE. We should all know that exposure to more than 85 dB(A) for 8 hours will lead to hearing loss (but also fatigue). I think you will find a reasonably standard tdi/Td5 will rise easily above that sound level doing more than ~50mph. For that reason I tend to wear some hearing protection for motorway journeys, which makes for a slightly lonely driving experience.

I am in the process of fitting a Roamerdrive (too busy with work right now, but will be fitted soon). Noise is not the sum of all parts, instead it is the noisiest part that spoils the party. There are many sources of noise, but in a defender I feel engine noise becomes dominant above ~2000/2200 rpm, so I my aim is to keep it below that, while still making decent progress.

Obviously then there is the safety, but I believe that accidents are at least 80-90% under your control (human factors), so purposefully following a correct, defensive driving style at all times is probably more important than airbags, roll cages, etc.
Post #997722 27th Jun 2023 12:39pm
TexasRover

Click image to enlarge

Just for good measure, enclosed noise readings I took about 10 years ago in my Series III, with a calibrate industrial workplace noise meter (dB(A)).

Yes it is an old vehicle, but it is petrol. I am hoping I can achieve a similar reduction in cabin noise levels. A few dB's makes a huge difference, but staying below 85 dB(A) is essential - in my book at least.
Post #997726 27th Jun 2023 12:50pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Sorry, thread hijack... Absolutely love the RoamerDrive OD... Brilliant bit of kit for long hauls, trailering and useful in Low as much as in High as it happens. The only thing I would say is watch your oil temps when loaded or towing. Forth gear and OD is excellent when towing heavy trailers, it is geared slightly higher (shorter) than the standard 5th gear and the TD5 feels much happier on hilly A-roads. Whatever, it is much better IMHO having an OD than a 1:1.2 LT230 with a 110 ladder or unladen. A 90 is different.
Post #997730 27th Jun 2023 1:10pm
TexasRover

Ok, this is going to be my last reply (hopefully), sorry to be such a bore, but below is the internationally agreed workplace noise exposure table.

Click image to enlarge

Permanent hearing loss is a result of accumulative exposure to noise over a 24 hour period (think of it as radiation exposure). An 8 hour day exposed to 85 dBA noise puts you on that limit (assuming the rest of the day is quiet (e.i. normal home, sleep etc)). As a rule of thumb you have to half your exposure time for every 3 dBA increase in noise level. This is often confused as a drop of 3dBA is half the noise, it is not. You need about a 10dBA drop for it to be perceived as half the noise.
Post #997732 27th Jun 2023 1:31pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I’ve done 260,000 miles in my 90 over the last ten years and there’s no getting away from the fact that it has damaged my hearing. It is a Tdi though and I only fitted the overdrive in 2019, with that fitted it is a fair bit quieter.

A well soundproofed Td5 with an overdrive will be a great way to cover distance.
Post #997777 27th Jun 2023 6:21pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
FWIW I have a very well sound dampened Td5 110 CSW with that fine bit of Canadian engineering, the Roamerdrive. Been my daily for 90K kms now and it is virtually the same as my old V8 92 RRC LSE for comfort and sound.

It can be done and it is well worth pursuing… Just do it! Thumbs Up Wink 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #997788 27th Jun 2023 8:40pm
Register

United Kingdom 
Thanks so much for all the responses.

Wyvern - thanks for the heads up on camper builds, I'll take a look. I'll be there with the questions. The little I know I've got from asking others Wink

Dinnu - thanks, I'll take a look. Assume the bar below is a fixed item? I'm currently looking to strip eveything out.

Texas Rover - can't argue with the luxury of the D3 for sure, air ride is something else. I've allowed 2 weeks to get to Tangier, about 100 miles a day. Not in any great hurry. What could possibly go wrong? Roamerdrive is a new one on me, not cheap! I been looking at changing ratios in the transfer box, free labour Wink, but its certainly a temptation. Does it work across all five gears?

Retroanaconda - I'm tuned in to the noise for sure. Soundproofing is mission 1, in spite of all the other temptations.

geobloke - I think you've answered my question. I feel an ebay/second hand search coming on.

4RF RDS - Terrific to hear that genuine sound deadening improvements are possible for daily driving. I've watched so many YT videos that I'm lost with product options Rolling with laughter

Thanks

Pete
Post #997798 27th Jun 2023 9:55pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Another fantastic Canadian company providing sound deadening products. Thumbs Up

https://www.b-quiet.com/ Rolling with laughter 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #997800 27th Jun 2023 9:59pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I've got extensive soundproofing in my 110 td5 and 1.2 transfer box ratios powered by a GTB450 from Alive, which works well with the adapted gearing.

I can cruise around 75mph all day and listen to the radio or hold a conversation without shouting.

Improving soundproofing around the transmission tunnel is often overlooked and is a big source of noise ingress. Air gaps in the front bulkhead are also your enemy... and there are a lot of them by design! TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #997869 28th Jun 2023 2:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>