Home > Puma (Tdci) > Emissions Test Failed on Dutch MOT equivalent - HELP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
If the vehicle is required to pass the tests

Exactly that Blackwolf. The vehicle is built to Euro 4 specs. The OP is not tempering with the emissions, and it is the registering officials who were responsible to ensure that vehicles imported to the EU meet the required specs. The system failed to protect the OP from purchasing such vehicle. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #992857 16th May 2023 3:08pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
What about all the EGR system being removed by Td5 owners? Any tempering with emission devises is not allowed, but who checks and who cares?

I was actually looking at my Disco 4 3.0 the other day (french reg Nov 2009). The 3.0 exists with and without DPF and mine is without. There is a sticker under the bonnet that lists all the diesel engine options and the 'smoke value' incl the certificate nrs

3.0 with DPF: 0.51
3.0 without DPF: 1.98

I then read up on the UK website that the smoke value as listed on the vehicle must be used, unless there is no information and then generic information can be used, which would be 'the law'.

Not familiar with how this works with the new laws but if you would have a legitimately imported car, can you not have Land Rover state what SHOULD be the smoke value for the vehicle based on the VIN and then have the APK test it to that value? There should be a certificate reference etc.
Post #992863 16th May 2023 3:37pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Dinnu wrote:
Quote:
If the vehicle is required to pass the tests

Exactly that Blackwolf. The vehicle is built to Euro 4 specs. The OP is not tempering with the emissions, and it is the registering officials who were responsible to ensure that vehicles imported to the EU meet the required specs. The system failed to protect the OP from purchasing such vehicle.

I agree, but I doubt that "the system" will have any sympathy for the OP all the same.
Post #992867 16th May 2023 4:23pm
blackwolf

TexasRover wrote:
What about all the EGR system being removed by Td5 owners? Any tempering with emission devises is not allowed, but who checks and who cares?

Exactly, it is illegal to use a vehicle which has had the emission equipment tampered with. Worse still, the laws are retroactive, so if you de-catted or de-EGRed your TD5 at a time when it was fully legal, it now isn't legal any more. You are incredibly unlikely to get caught at the moment (a VOSA check probably would do it, an MoT should but is purely a visible check and a disabled EGR or cat looks the same as a working one) but the testing regimes may get more effective as time passes. The fact you are unlikely to be detected however doesn't make it right, any more than, say, speeding is OK until you get caught.

It is very much the case that increasing legislation makes little difference and just makes more and more of an ass of itself. An unenforceable law is, to a great extent, a pointless law.
Post #992869 16th May 2023 4:29pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
TexasRover wrote:
I then read up on the UK website that the smoke value as listed on the vehicle must be used, unless there is no information and then generic information can be used, which would be 'the law'.

Indeed. And by removing the sticker the smoke test defaults to the generic value, which also happens to be the most lenient one. Suffice to say I never bothered putting the sticker back on Laughing
Post #992895 16th May 2023 6:50pm
hornet

Very far OT

Unfortunately, as always, this is very ambivalent. In countries where the taxation of the vehicle is graded according to the emissions, removing the technology is simply tax evasion. However, removing EGR ensures that the soot in the system is significantly reduced. soot = wear and tear. Removing the catalytic converter/DPF results in lower backpressure (turbo spools up quicker) and less diesel in the oil, which also means less wear and tear and lower fuel consumption.

We buy these environmental features with higher primary energy consumption and higher costs due to wear and tear and are therefore on balance no better. Confused
Post #992928 17th May 2023 8:27am
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
Love the conversation!

I am with balckwolf on this one....

A bit more backstory I have managed to find out from the dealer I bought it from (same workshop I have been using for the moment too)

He acquired the car from a person in Germany who also happened to have multiple businesses also in Russia. Apparently the car came with German papers although I have never seen them.

The 'Car Vertical' report I have run (attached) has a gap from 2014 to 2021. I cant work out why it was ever documented in NL to begin with however the gap 'suggests' it was then registered in Russia as Germany is part of the CarVertical network so I would have expected to see it if it was actually registered in Germany.

Click image to enlarge

In late 2021 is when I bought the car and somewhere along the lines it has been registered in the EU - either by the prior owner in Germany or by the guy i bought it from in NL.

The seller is adamant the downpipe includes a DPF and continues to state "The car has a DPF filter just like the 2.4 cars. It is not just a cat pipe. It just doesn't have sensor on it so the ECU cant do regeneration"

This is what I had initially beleived however research and this thread suggest the seller is incorrect and the reality is there is either a fully plugged in DPF system included in a downpipe or JUST a Cat. There simply was never a 'passive' dpf system released in the downpipe from factory from what I can find.

So I am left with a car that potentially has slipped into EU registration with an incorrect emissions system fitted - not my fault however, as Blackwolf points out, also still my problem!

Reality is that there is a slim to no chance of this ever being an issue (at least in the foreseeable future) as long as a dpf is fitted for the annual APK/MOT which is the only time it will be checked - and in the past this wasn't an issue as the NL previously did not do any form of emission testing as part of annual checks!

Fun times but glad I believe I have gotten to the murky bottom of my issue.....the car had a Cat only downpipe so was never going to pass the emission test and i wasted a bunch of cash having the downpipe removed and professionally cleaned since it will do close to jack for a cat!
Post #993105 18th May 2023 10:03am
blackwolf

BaCoNMX6 wrote:
The seller said "The car has a DPF filter just like the 2.4 cars."

The seller is wrong, the 2.4 cars do not and have never had a DPF!
Post #993154 18th May 2023 4:17pm
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
Ever tried to tell a dutchie they are wrong? Hehe
Post #993156 18th May 2023 4:21pm
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
In all seriousness though it's a tough discussion when I have no easy facts to point to when he has it set in his mind.

Plus unless I am looking to somehow prove/force he knew and wrongfully sold me something then it's kinds pointless.
Post #993157 18th May 2023 4:23pm
Dinnu

BaCoNMX6 wrote:
Ever tried to tell a dutchie they are wrong? Hehe

I do it every day Laughing

Keep in mind that the law does not treat ignorance as an excuse. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #993182 18th May 2023 7:06pm
hornet

BaCoNMX6 wrote:
In all seriousness though it's a tough discussion when I have no easy facts to point to when he has it set in his mind.

Plus unless I am looking to somehow prove/force he knew and wrongfully sold me something then it's kinds pointless.

My suggestion would be to confront the seller with his misunderstanding and demand a professional retrofit. My guess is that he won't do that, so the only option would be to go to a lawyer and appoint an expert.

Alternatively, the only way to pass the test would be to (always) temporarily retrofit the DPF; a passive catalytic converter would not even be necessary.

Both are expensive, the first is the cleanest solution and probably indispensable in the event of resale in the EU.
Post #993236 19th May 2023 7:50am
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
While I don't disagree can anyone point me to some formal information at all outlining what we have spoken about here?

I.e. official LR publication on the EU vs ROW spec and the downpipe itself? Otherwise we get straight into a 'he said, she said' and while I don't doubt the forum know how it's a bit hard to formally use.

And then appointing a lawyer would also involve formalizing my case and again will need actual documents and references and not just people's know how which would add costs up quick in my experience.
Post #993386 20th May 2023 1:56pm
Dinnu

If you get a CoC (Certificate of Conformity), there is a paragraph called Environmental Performance. In there it will state the emissions level (4 for EU4 or 5 for EU5) and will also state the CO, NOx, Particulates etc.

I do not know if that is enough of a proof, however I believe that is the most legally accepted document and that is for your vehicle. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #993395 20th May 2023 3:50pm
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
Hey Dinnu.

Perhaps I am missing something but not sure where/how you would suggest to use such a document?

(also not sure I have heard of that before or would know how to acquire it)

The issue as it stands is the vehicle is registered as EU5 however was a ROW spec which doesnt seem to have been converted at any stage.

However seller believes there is a factory fitted DPF despite the forum wisdom suggesting that cant be the case since a 'passive' DPF never existed and the 2.2 PUMA only came with a CAT+DPF downpipe in the EU or a CAT only for ROW.

However, while all the information is great, it still simply leave me in a "the forums say your wrong" position which isnt exactly a strong position to go in for a negotiation on fixing anything.

So I am asking if there is a link or anything to any formal publication outlining the history of the PUMA emissions and EU vs ROW spec or anything that clear shows there are only 2 downpipe options and his understanding therefore simply cannot be correct.
Post #993404 20th May 2023 5:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>