↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Eon and Smart meters
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Eon and Smart meters
I am sure people have had meters swapped from analogue to so called smart meters

If you are at say 9000 kWh on the old gas meter, when you get a smart meter installed, do they set the smart meter to old reading or, does the smart meter start from 0?

My mum has had this done but Eon have got a reading of 8941 kWh units used in the last month which seems to be a bit OTT to me... On the bill it shows Smart meter reading(i think it was 786.9 m3) then they do some conversion to get to 8941 kWh 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #977429 10th Jan 2023 5:55pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I believe it starts from zero again, or at least it did for me when I swapped in my old house.
Post #977437 10th Jan 2023 6:01pm
excossack

Cheers. I think someone has entered some digits wrong. I dont see how mum has used that many kWh in a month or £940 with discount. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #977442 10th Jan 2023 6:15pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I seem to recall my mum having the same problem when they "upgraded" to a smart meter coming to think about it. Took quite some phone calls to get it straightened out... Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #977443 10th Jan 2023 6:18pm
excossack

mmmm...Battle time.

The chap who fitted the meter and another chap who checked the work, took pictures (Morrisons Data services) I think we need to see them pics to show the meter readings to iron this out. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #977445 10th Jan 2023 6:20pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
As geobloke says, the new meter will always start from 0 or near to 0. Old analogue one's used to always have a couple of kWh's on them from new when they were tested / calibrated. I assume digital solid state ones don't.

The meter engineer should leave you a label or something with the old meter readings and then it is up to your energy supplier to get it all wrong Laughing

I am afraid I have heard loads of stories about meter changes / supplier changes going wrong and the heartache it is to try and speak to someone who A. Understands your problem and B. are able to do something about it or C. cares. I think all energy suppliers are pretty poor when it comes to customer service. Customer service advisors are an overhead that cost money that most of them don't want to spend.

I don't know much about Gas metering, but I would have thought it would have been measured as a volume rather than in kWh's. but if that is what they have done...... There are plenty of online calculators to check they have got their sums right. Try a quick Google.

Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #977446 10th Jan 2023 6:22pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I confess to taking weekly meter readings ever since beginning to rent again, just to keep an eye on things. It's a bit nerdy but at least Eon don't have an opportunity to overcharge through estimation.
Post #977447 10th Jan 2023 6:22pm
excossack

Cheers both.

There is a label but not 100% sure if its the meter readings - I do need to call in a take a look
But the figures show 1058 and 9999
Subtract one from 'tother and you get 8941 mmmmm.... 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #977448 10th Jan 2023 6:26pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
The gas meter will read in cubic meters, the electric in kwh.
Its only when they get around to billing will the gas be converted into kwh which is how it is priced. 
Post #977450 10th Jan 2023 6:37pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Too late in the day now, but if ever a meter is changed then you need to be there to take pics of the before and after readings.
Preferable if you can get the electricians/gas fitters in the picture at the same time.

Even if "they" take pics, they'll dissapear into the ether....
Post #977451 10th Jan 2023 6:37pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
There isn't a week that goes by that Eon ask whether I want to change to a smart meter or a threatening letter comes through the post from the TV licensing lot... The amount the latter must have spent of postage, paper and envelopes over the years must be getting up there towards the cost of a license... Rolling Eyes
Post #977453 10th Jan 2023 6:42pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
When I was bullied by my supplier to allow them to install a smart electricity meter my bills doubled!

I came to the conclusion that my 35-year-old traditional meter had such stiff bearings that the silver disc didn't spin freely!

I can see no benefit whatsoever to the customer in having a SM and I wish I could have mine removed.
Post #977455 10th Jan 2023 7:07pm
donmacn

geobloke wrote:
There isn't a week that goes by that Eon ask whether I want to change to a smart meter or a threatening letter comes through the post from the TV licensing lot... The amount the latter must have spent of postage, paper and envelopes over the years must be getting up there towards the cost of a license... Rolling Eyes

Agree completely - and the worst of it is that I've agreed, and had an engineer come out twice; try to carry out the installation, and then find that there is insufficient mobile signal at the back of our house to allow the 'gadget' to transmit the readings. Aborted both times.... yet they still keep on trying to persuade me to do it. One hand clearly hasn't the first idea what the other hand is doing.

Now, reading BW's comments above, I think I'll be a little happier sitting on my hands. It was only ever an issue trying (before the big provider collapse) to change suppliers, as some wouldn't take on the account without a SM in place. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #977468 10th Jan 2023 7:57pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
As it happens I have just been looking at last years electricity usage over winter 2021-2022 and switching off the every so green ground source heating system this autumn has reduced our electricity usage by upwards of 100 units per week over the 2022-2023 period... Shocked I knew it was expensive to run, but blimey....

As me gran used to say... Throw another jumper on pet... Rolling with laughter
Post #977470 10th Jan 2023 8:01pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Just to throw in another view on SM's

I'm over the moon that we switched to a SM a couple of years ago.
Without it we wouldn't have been able to sign up to a 2 year Electric Vehicle fixed tariff with EDF in August 2021.

Now enjoying off peak electricity for 7 hours Monday to Friday and 24 hours on Saturday & Sunday.

It was more through luck than good judgement as nobody could have predicted what has happened to prices post Putin's folly.

I am just hoping things calm down by the end of August this year when our tariff expires.

The mickey mouse In Home Display never worked properly and is now shoved in the bottom of a kitchen draw. But the meter is sending the correct readings to EDF so I don't need to keep submitting manual readings. I do still check the readings on our EDF bills to make sure they are being recorded correctly and the Bright App on my phone is also showing the correct consumption.

Agree, if your old meter was cream crackered and under reading then it would be a blow switching to a SM.
Post #977491 10th Jan 2023 9:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>