↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Output shaft, parts needed and 'while you're in there'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It can easily be done by one person working at ground level provided you have a suitable means of lowering and raising the t-box safely. Removing the t-box doesn't take long, perhaps an hour to remove and about the same to refit if you know what you're doing.
Post #949624 17th Apr 2022 8:54am
Andy RV

United Kingdom 
I’ve just ordered the Ashcroft kit after my clutch packed up yesterday, while I’m in there I may as well replace the shaft!

I’m a little confused about the source / route the oil takes to lubricator the coupling. Does the kit contain a new gearbox output seal which allows a quantity of oil to enter the coupling? Otherwise I don’t understand how the oil actually migrates from the gearbox to the coupling if the seal prevents any leaks?
Post #951401 2nd May 2022 7:56pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
2 splines and slots on the face (aligned with the splines) have been removed to allow oil to pass through.

What I do not know is how much oil will pass through. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #951405 2nd May 2022 8:41pm
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
Glad it went well for you, excellent result.

An hour to remove and refit the extension housing? Really? Very Happy

I think I missed this before.
Yes I think so. I have to be honest and say that I pretty much let the mechanic get on with it. I thought it might be quite a 2 person job at times, but it really wasn't.

So, after hanging about quite a bit, I just got on with some other bits and was just available if needed (which I wasn't).

I guessed it was around an hour between getting to the housing, and then the point where it was back in again, but I could be wrong. That would have included replacement of the oil seals and the removal/fitment of the transfer shaft cup.

Either way, to pick up on co1's question, yes definitely fine with 1 person, and working on the ground. My guy just used a trolley jack to help him lower the transfer box.
It's a few hours to do. As blackwolf said, if you know what you're doing it's probably a lot quicker than in my experience.
Post #951412 2nd May 2022 9:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123