↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine problem 2.4tdci puma 2011
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CarlUK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Engine problem 2.4tdci puma 2011
Any help or direction would be much appreciated for a problem that’s developed on my 2011 2.4tdci. The car has 88k and has been well maintained however did have almost a year without any use due to Covid! The problem happened when driving on a motorway towing a trailer about 1.5 tons at 60mph. Suddenly the car lost power, made a clicking noise and I managed to reach the services a mile ahead. Once there it had lost about 3 litres of oil sprayed onto the bonnet top right side. No obvious leaks or trace of where it came from. The car was recovered and at home I replaced the oil and it started first time however made a ticking noise and was running rough. Since then I’ve removed the injectors and had them tested. One was getting bad so I put a new one in and the other 3 tested ok. Also replacing the copper washers and rubber seals. Started and the noise continued and terrible running. Now I’ve taken the timing cover off, the engine set at 50tdc the 3 cogs are aligned however not on the chain marks. Does this make any difference? What would the next step be to find the cause? I’m not really wanting a new engine and at the moment it’s stuck in my garage it won’t be easy to move anywhere!! I welcome advice and knowledge with great thanks. It’s such a shame the beloved car cannot be used. I do have a video of the noise I will try and add too.
Post #948040 4th Apr 2022 7:35pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Sounds like the vacuum pump is faulty. https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64711...oil+bonnet do a search on vacuum pump in tdci section and there are lots of posts.

Ps - Does yours look like the pics in this post? https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic79113...acuum+pump.

More info here as well https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic51106.html
Post #948048 4th Apr 2022 8:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Sounds very much like what Ian mentions above, for now I’d change the gasket on it and new fixings and clean up and see how it goes.
With the brake vac pump you do not need to disconnect the hose attached to it.
(I would advise you don’t).
Taking the serpentine belt off isn’t too problematic, the workshop manual is available on here with all the details and torque specs for the brake vac pump fixings. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #948059 4th Apr 2022 9:12pm
CarlUK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thank you
Thank you for the replies they are much appreciated. This was something I considered initially and the oil was almost sprayed in the same position on the underside of the bonnet. However the rough running and loud ticking noise has made me consider that a malfunction within the engine has allowed the pressure to find a weakness pushing oil out. My next step is to start it again without the timing cover but with water hoses just to listen to the noise without auxiliaries turning. Then I think if it’s no different the actual head needs to come off to be checked. I tried to use a borescope however it was too big for the injector hole to see the pistons! I’m certain it’s a mechanical metallic sound. Thank you once again as all help and advise is appreciated.
Post #948092 4th Apr 2022 11:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1