↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Which air intake and which airbox solution
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Which air intake and which airbox solution
Subsequent to fitting a BAS intercooler and silicon intercooler hoses to my 2.2 I’m now looking to improve the air flow into the turbo but not looking to add a Raised Air Intake (RAI -AKA a snorkel)

At present I’ve looked at.

Air intake
1.Nakatanenga air intake on top of the wing with powder coated stainless steel snow cowl
2.Nugget stuff air intake on std wing position.

Airbox/ Air filter
3 Modifying the standard air box
4.Nugget stuff air box
5.IRB Developments - Defender High Performance Air Box, this seams to be still under development.

As it stands i’m favouring option 4. Nugget stuff air box with either 2. Nugget stuff or 1. Nakatanenga intake. However I’m likely to do it in two stages, fitting the air intake update first, seeing how it improves air flow, then add the nugget stuff air box.

So given the above which air intake solution, nugget stuff or Nakatanenga with snow cowl, provides the best solution. In particular avoiding water ingress ( as no drain on nugget stuff air box) and fit, initially to existing air box but subsequently to nugget stuff sealed air box.
Post #944732 5th Mar 2022 8:06pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
In my opinion the standard airbox is junk, it does not seal properly and can allow unfiltered air past the filter into the engine. I have twice had this problem in the desert in Morocco. Filter gets loaded with sand. The vacuum across the filter is then sufficient to draw air past the filter seal. Result: dust on the clean side which is not a nice feeling. And then there is restrictive pipe work and lack of proper waterproofing as other issues. I would therefore want a solution that fixes the airbox problem first and foremost. I got nugget stuff airbox (and intake) as it was the only option at the time, but I think AliSport showed a prototype Puma airbox recently.

I have not noticed any performance difference, but I seem to be in the minority here. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #944734 5th Mar 2022 8:46pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Thanks bluest, I don’t go on as exotic travels as you, but interesting to know that the std airbox does note cope in very sandy / dusty conditions. Which encourages me to do the swap to the nugget stuff box. Noting the IRB and Allispirt ones being developed seem to use oiled high performance filters and I worry they will cause MAF clogging issues, whereas the nugget stuff solution use standard dry filters.

So given I won’t have an RAI ( snorkel ) my chief concern at present is potential water ingress due to driving in rain. So which would be best to prevent this, wing top with snow cowl or standard wing side entry.
Post #944778 6th Mar 2022 10:45am
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
I’m running your favourite set up, Nakatanenga rai & Nuggetstuff air box. The only way to go if you going to use the truck as it was meant. The Cyclone catch at the top is invaluable in dusty conditions & has saved us countless filters.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #944779 6th Mar 2022 10:48am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Thanks Timcat, and if like you and bluest I went on adventures I would fit the nak snorkel , plus the nak sealed intake and nugget stuff airbox.

However I’m not looking at a RAI at present , just trying to decided if I should go fo a sealed side inlet (nugget stuff) or a top sealed inlet via snow cowl (nak)
Post #944869 6th Mar 2022 11:44pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The nugget intake pipe is a ball ache to fit. I’d 8magine the Nak one is easier and probable less restrictive due to being shorter and not needing the little box on the inside of the wing. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #944882 7th Mar 2022 9:41am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It is worth remembering that all the quality sealed inlet systems lack any provision for water expulsion from the incoming airflow and therefore you will be more susceptible to getting a sodden filter than with the standard induction system.

The awful factory system did at least incorporate a centrifugal moisture separator and drain, which was a good feature, it is however a shame that the rest of the system is so deficient that all goodness is negated. I have never understood why people are keen to delete the separator whilst failing to address the other glaring weaknesses of the standard system.

I have a Nak RAI with the large centrifugal pre-cleaner, now with a Nuggetstuff air filter housing although I fitted the Nak RAI whilst I still had the LR airbox. When I fitted the RAI, I sealed the airbox, since moisture is not a problem with a centrifugal precleaner fitted.

Personally I would not really want to run a Defender without a centrifugal precleaner, they are excellent devices for drying the incoming airflow as well as getting most of the crud out of it long before it gets anywhere near the filter itself. I regularly empty the prefilter and the debris it collects is startling, and this is on a vehicle which spends most of its time on-road. All tha6t debris would otherwise have been caught by the filter element, but the filter elements in the Nuggetstuff filter housing look virtually unused after 12 months in service.

I don't know of any COTS solutions which incorporate a centrifugal precleaner without also requiring an RAI, which is a problem if you don't want an RAI. Intuitively I feel that a top-entry system with a snow cowl is likely to draw in less moisture and wetness than a side inlet system, so I would be more drawn to the Nak product than the Nuggetstuff one for the induction pipework. I don't think however that there are any airbox solutions which better the Nuggetstuff one.

Another option you could consider would be side-entry but with a Wolf-style filter on the inlet. I am not sure exactly what filtering takes place in the Wolf intake filter, but it is likely to be quite effective.
Post #944886 7th Mar 2022 10:16am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Many thanks blackwolf. Those are exactly the points I’m deliberating.

We’re there any issues fitting the Nak wing top tubing to the nugget stuff airbox, especially avoiding the bolt head on the alternator rubbing ?

I’m also looking at the snow cowl design as it has been designed for air input into the heater motor , not the filter box. As such it’s design has not focused on preventing water ingress as it leaves the underside open so water on the wing top can potentially be sucked in to the now sealed induction system. How to deal with this via a mod to the nak wing top mount, snow cowl or combination of both are occupying my mind.

So lots to think on and come up with solutions, including wing side options such as the one used by the wolf’s.
Post #944901 7th Mar 2022 12:00pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No problems fitting the disparate parts together, in fact it was easier to mate the Nak pipework to the Nuggetstuff filter than to the LR one whilst clearing the infernal bolt on the alternator. The Nuggetstuff filter comes with a pipe with a flat section to clear the alternator which makes it easy.
Post #944908 7th Mar 2022 12:42pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Well I pressed the button and went for the Nakatanenga air intake on top of the wing with powder coated stainless steel snow cowl and the Nugget stuff Leo deluxe air box.

The thing that caused me to get off the fence is the Nugget Stuff airbox is moving from aluminium top to plastic top, this is being done to ease manufacturing’s and maintain pricing as labour and materials pricing is going up. So I think prices will remain the same but in my mind you won’t get such a lovely bespoke engineered looking solution. Plus Wayne (nugget) Neilson is “outback” testing new products so there may be delays in getting even the new plastic top airbox.

Edit 22/08/2020. Looking again at the nugget stuff site it looks like the new V3 of the box is all plastic, top and bottom, whereas the v2 version I have purchased is all aluminium.

I went for the Nak air intake as I think it is better at avoiding potential moisture ingress than the nugget stuff air intake if not used with an RAI, plus at some point if I want an RAI I will add the NAK RAI as from Blackwolf’S setup it looks perfect and a relatively easy upgrade if I already have the Nak intake.

I contacted Brendan (Leeds on here) at 4x4 overlander who had 2 original style Aluminium top nugget stuff neo deluxe air boxes in stock plus the Nak air intake. Brendan and Barbara were really helpful and my order was sorted in minutes.

So if you want the Aluminium top nugget stuff air box , std or Leo deluxe, I would act quick as at Thursday 18/08/2022 there are only a few of the former and one of the latter still available from 4x4 overlander.

Should all be arriving next week and I will update on it’s fitting and performance. If I do find I get any moisture in the airbox I will add the NAK RAI ...”.in for a penny in for a pound” Smile

If all goes well then next years defender budget will be focussed on a BAS 170BHP map to take full advantage of the intake, airbox, BAS IC and silicon hoses.

Last edited by Ianh on 22nd Aug 2022 5:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #962310 20th Aug 2022 11:12am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
just seen this post for the first time.

I was down at IRB recently and there was someone there with the IRB performanace air box.
I believe that particular 90 might have been in the LRO magazine recently?

If I recall it was a 2.2 pushing circa 500Nm ?

I don't have the magazine so can't confirm. would be interesting if anyone on here has seen it and can add a little more to this air box post?

the owner seemed very happy with their set-up.
Post #962313 20th Aug 2022 11:59am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Have you seen this on the IRB solution Caterham https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic80834.html?highlight=nugget

The non std air filter may prove an issue on costs and ongoing availability.

Also, if I recall correctly it’s an oil based filter, however I may be wrong. However if it is oil based it can cause issues clogging the MAF.
Post #962314 20th Aug 2022 12:16pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I just had a quick refresh through that previous post (I'm sure I read it last year).
What I saw the other day I'm sure was based on the standard air box (and therefore filter) but did have an alloy top.

I'd be interested to see a copy of the LRO article (as I'm sure others would) if it's doing 500Nm. Mr. Green
Post #962320 20th Aug 2022 1:27pm
Not_Given

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Orkney Grey
Just to add my two penneth, I have a Nugget Stuff fed via an Safety devices 3” RAI and a Donaldson Cyclonic filter.

SD pipe joins the Nugget intake in the OEM location and the pre-filter spits out all the water/dust.

Just something to consider as you continue your build.

NG
Post #962328 20th Aug 2022 3:12pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Fitted the Nak wing-top air intake and the nugget stuff Leo deluxe airbox yesterday.

All went well and looks very impressive in the engine bay. The powder coated stainless steel snow cowl now nicely matches the powder coated SS Entreq one I have on the nearside for the heater intake.

Initial observation is an audible (with window down) induction roar as the turbo kicks in. However I have not driven sufficient miles to see if the engine performs better, which is something I did notice after fitting the BAS Intercooler and silicon hoses.
Post #965407 18th Sep 2022 5:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>