↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Which air intake and which airbox solution
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Ok. 10 days after Nak wing top intake and nugget stuff airbox mod and I can confirm my 2.2 is running smoother, revs more freely, feels like more torque especially at low revs but also when pushing higher revs when accelerating on dual carriageways and motorways.

Even more notable when in 6th gear as that’s when the std map provides the greatest level of torque from the 2.2 , which is I believe higher than the 2.4 but only when in 6th gear.

I think the combination of BAS Intercooler, BAS silicon hoses, Nak wing air intake and nugget stuff airbox do make a significant, albeit quite expensive, improvement to a 2.2 with a std map.
However to take full advantage of this setup I expect a 170 BAS map would be ideal. Having said that I really don’t feel the need at present as my 2.2 is now giving me all the performance I think I need for my current use, noting my Essex boy racer days were left far behind me once I sold my 24v 3l dual ram police pursuit tuned Vauxhall senator. Very Happy
Post #966214 28th Sep 2022 10:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
By far the biggest improvement is the change from the original restrictive duct from wing to airbox. I experienced a similar positive effect when I replaced mine with the Nak RAI. I've also got the BAS intercooler and silicon hoses but without a remap they don't make a lot of difference on their own. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #966227 29th Sep 2022 8:04am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i replaced the ducting on my 130 (2.4) from wing to std puma airbox with the nugget box. no noticeable difference to driveability or performance or economy. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #966241 29th Sep 2022 11:25am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I’m never truly sure whether my observations are real, or a placebo effect stimulated by mentally justifying the expense of purchasing these mods.

In my case the intercooler seam split and my choice to go for a more expensive IC from BAS was due to its improved quality and reliability. While in there I thought I would add silicon hoses, once again as a reliability driven decision given std ones are prone to failure. So was not looking for any performance improvements given my std map.
There was a noticeable improvement in engine performance after fitting, however that may have been due to the original IC slowly failing over time and thus slowly & unnoticeably reducing performance until it got so bad it triggered a check engine light.

The fitting of the Improved air intake was purely stimulated by reading topics on here regarding how restrictive and open to water ingress the LR air intake solution is. Once again this was more about reliability as in my mind I “feel” ( could well be wrong) having a larger air intake places less strain on the turbo from sucking air in, noting it now has a bigger IC to blow it into as well.

The fitting of the nugget stuff airbox was also to create better airflow, noting it does now have a larger filter area. However i expect it does not give that much better performance than undertaking the std air box mods. So I think this was more of a heart based not head based decision( it’s such a beautifully engineered solution ) unless I fit a Nak RAI with cyclone , providing a truly sealed system against water ingress, in particular if wading.

I was going to do the Nak air intake mod, see if it improved things, then decide if I wanted to add the nugget stuff airbox, however as they were moving from a aluminium to all plastic solution I decided to just go for it and get one of the last aluminium ones.

Before doing the air intake and airbox changes I did take a mental note on vehicle performance in several driving scenarios, just so I had a mental baseline.

All I can say is that my non scientific mental before and after comparison lead me to the conclusions I stated earlier, but it is based on having ALL the above mods working in concert.

Edit- corrected spelling:-)

Last edited by Ianh on 19th Nov 2022 3:22pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #966249 29th Sep 2022 1:58pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I recently had cause to for the BAS intercooler after mine split. Made a noticable difference in fuel economy and general throttle response. I’m getting an extra 30 miles per tank!
Post #966260 29th Sep 2022 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12